Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

nice looking rig!
    that reel pairs perfectly with the superfine

casey

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

well as some of you know, i bought my first spey rod this year.
    its a echo dec hogan 12'6" 6 weight that i bought from a member here
    it looks like spring is actually here, so next week i'm gonna take her out for the first time.
    wish me luck guys, this should be interesting

casey

ARFE

2. Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

New Allen Fly Fishing ICON (made in Heber Utah) 10' 4 wt. with the Trout reel. Love this set up.....A LOT

Quote Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
    I did just a wee bit of 'yard casting',,,and it's soft,,,sooo soft. With a bit of lite breeze to contend with, I could still lay a reasonably good touch out to about 45ft. Today, that was about my limit,,,it 'might' improve with getting to know the rod,,but that's still dang decent in my book for a slow flex 3wt.
    Man, that is one fine rig! Embrace the joy that sucker will bring you nder 45'. That's what it is made for and that's where it should shine.
    Welcome to the vast world of nitch rods. When used in their nitch they are a blast.
    Enjoy, you lucky dawg you!

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

That's a really greast picture Joni.

Blog Entries

Default This Is The Second Rod I Picked Up At Years End 2012;

I have a 15' #10/11 that I have not used enough in this same line. I'll blame the lack of river hours on the poor runs last year and that darn 1981 Hardy I toted around all season The # 10/11 is such a powerful rod that I became intrigued with the notion or curiosity might better describe it, of what a lighter line weight might fish like.

I managed this, an unused old stock Winston rated line 7/8.

As per the other rod I have, the workmanship from Winston is impeccable.

The fact that the butt cap has no marks or scuffs at all was testament to the rods new condition. You gotta wonder when the rod you are buying is 11 - 12 years old and sold as 'new / unused' but I'm satisfied I got a good deal here.

To top off the outfit a friend at Mountain View Sports in Anchorage sold me an unused circa 1999 Orvis Vortex 9/10 reel that was also made in the good old USA to match up with the rod. I lined it out with a Delta Tactical long belly and am ready to get the line wet.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Default Re: This Is The Second Rod I Picked Up At Years End 2012;

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    I have a 15' #10/11 that I have not used enough in this same line. I'll blame the lack of river hours on the poor runs last year and that darn 1981 Hardy I toted around all season The # 10/11 is such a powerful rod that I became intrigued with the notion or curiosity might better describe it, of what a lighter line weight might fish like.

I managed this, an unused old stock Winston rated line 7/8.

As per the other rod I have, the workmanship from Winston is impeccable.

The fact that the butt cap has no marks or scuffs at all was testament to the rods new condition. You gotta wonder when the rod you are buying is 11 - 12 years old and sold as 'new / unused' but I'm satisfied I got a good deal here.

To top off the outfit a friend at Mountain View Sports in Anchorage sold me an unused circa 1999 Orvis Vortex 9/10 reel that was also made in the good old USA to match up with the rod. I lined it out with a Delta Tactical long belly and am ready to get the line wet.
    That's one SERIOUS rig you have there Ard! What a beauty! There's something wonderful about getting a like new/used rod that ends up on your doorstep in pristine condition. It's hard to beat the craftsmanship of factory built Winston rods. The reel looks like a wonderful match for that rod.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

6. Likes Ard liked this post

Jackster, thank you. What I did notice,,,that baby will load with a foot of line out of the guides ! Talk about a rod you can do short precise casting with , this is IT. I didn't get to cast a lot this evening, but I did kinda run it thur some imaginary short range, accuracy cast,,,and it's freakin' awesome.

This is one rod that really fits that 'coming alive in your hand' description.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Blog Entries

Default Re: This Is The Second Rod I Picked Up At Years End 2012;

Hi Jaybo,

That line of rods has a deep traditional action suited to long or mid belly lines. based on the 15' 10/11 loading up with the whole 65' RIO mid Spey line out the tip and hurling casts all the way across the Talkeetna last year I expect this rod to be pretty cool to fish with. I'm hoping for a slightly lighter outfit (the big rod & reel weighs about 2.2 pounds) and still having plenty of power to sail flies in the size 2-4-6 range to mid channel without me working up a sweat.

I'm all Spey rodded out now............... Unless I like that new Hardy, they have bigger nicer ones called the Artisan series These are the ones made in England by one builder each rod. Fancy grips and all the fluff..........

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    New Allen Fly Fishing ICON (made in Heber Utah) 10' 4 wt. with the Trout reel. Love this set up.....A LOT

joni, i have that same reel and love it!!
    mines on an ATS and it's a sweet rig!!
    how's the icon rod? sounds like a pretty tech stick

casey

ARFE

elder burl reel seat

9ft 6wt Winston Boron III-SX!!
    Last edited by troutchaser8; 04-20-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    Carson

11. Likes Ard, Jackster, thorsten, leithel, baseman1, von behr liked this post
    Blog Entries

I'm getting good at this, I knew what that rod was when I saw the reel seat & hardware I don't own any single hand Winston rods, one of these days I would like to get one. They are very nicely finished .

Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast