Rio Grande on your Sage One? or not?

fryfishingguy

Reaction score
So I bought my Sage One at a local dealer who slapped some Rio Grande line on it for me, at not cost (using a Hatch 4 Plus reel)... I've not had a chance to play with it, but while shopping for Waders today, a guy from another store was giving me his impression of the Sage One and he insisted that its' too fast for Rio Grande.. and said I should use Rio Gold instead..

Anyone have any input either thru experience or otherwise?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
A Rio Grand is designed to slow down a rod because it is 1.5x the AFTMA weight.

A Rio Gold is a standard AFTMA weighted line.

Choose the line on how you want to throw line around. If your payloads are high, use the Rio Grand. That way you can throw weighted streamers, larger wind resistant dry flies, or weighed down indothingamfloatabobbicator rigs effectively. You may also like the Grand if you like your rod to bend a bit further down the tip. If your payloads are lighter, go with the Rio Gold. You will feel the rod load off the tip.

Dennis

billyspey

Reaction score
I bought this rod I find it is spot on with rio gold. Was told that Sage made this with Rio Gold in mind. But others might like other lines better.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Nce rig you have there; a "One" with a Hatch. I too have a 905 "One" and I have thrown both Gold and Gand 5's with it. It is interesting to do that back to back because they illustreate the sensatiity of this trerrific rod; they really change its character. Ultimatly the Gold is the better line on this rod, it can handle the extra 1/2 size of weight of the Grand but it is less comfortable with the forward bias of weight distribution. You get smoother better formed loops with Gold. This spring I intend to experiment further by casting it with SA's Mastery Testured "Trout Stalker".

FrankB2

Reaction score
Morilla did a thorough review of the "One", and said that it is designed for its designated line weight more than the Z-Axis: Click Here For Review He looks at products very throrougly, and I like that. Just set aside a few minutes for his lengthy review.

fryfishingguy

Reaction score
Morilla did a thorough review of the "One", and said that it is designed for its designated line weight more than the Z-Axis: Click Here For Review He looks at products very throrougly, and I like that. Just set aside a few minutes for his lengthy review.
thanks for that thorough review Frank... very helpful...

so it would seem for closer in fishing, the Rio Grand might be better, and for further our casting the Gold... hmm... ok.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

as a follow up, I called Sage and told the guy my story, mentioned that I was fairly new to fly casting and he also suggested the Grand... I guess I'll play with that and then after I get a good feel for it, try the Gold and see if I like it better.

FrankB2

Reaction score
The Grande will make the rod load more easily, and help you to feel the rod loading. It's fine to have both lines, and I use a 4.5wt and true 4wt line on my 4wt rod: the 4.5wt (Scientific Anglers GPX) for general fishing, and the 4wt (Mastery Trout) for casting small dry flies to spooky fish. Let us know how you like the One, and enjoy it! :)

EDIT: You wrote that you're fairly new to fly casting/fishing. I have a Z-Axis, and can tell you for a fact that it does not like to be pushed too hard. Start casting with little effort (but proper form), and go from there. When I bought my Z-Axis, it was fine out to 40 feet with my typical casting stroke, but loops became sloppy when I tried for greater distance. I was about to give up on the rod, but then came across a review that said pretty much what Morilla said about the One: let the rod do the work. Every now and then my wife gets her stroke right with the Z-Axis, and the line tearing out of her hand makes her jump.... SERIOUSLY :D

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I've cast it with both a regular weight line, and a half sized heavier line. Both feel fine to me. I get a little more feel out of the 1/2 size up line, but I havn't put these lines through fishing situations yet, just test casting. I can see the point of going a half size heavier on any fast action rod; it gives you more of a feel in your back cast, and it makes close in casting especially a little more "cast" like, if you know what I mean. I think the reviewer was a little overly critical by incessantly pointing out that the ONE wanted to cast ALL the line ALL the time. What's wrong with the line shooting through your guides??? On every cast with any rod you run the risk of overshooting your target unless you control your slack line with your free hand, and lighten up your stroke. This seemed to be his most overt criticism and I don't think it is warranted or sensical. Peel off 30' of line and lay it on the ground beside your Sage LL and make a full casting stroke, see if all 30 ft casts out. Just target your distance and pinch off the slack line, there is no issue here IMO.

Regardless of which line you use, you will find one of the reviewers points to be true...machine like accuracy and cast duplication over and over. I was hitting pie-plate sized targets EASILY, probably 90% at 30 and 50'. Probably 50% or better at 70' with most hitting within a couple of feet. I think I was using the heavier line when I was putting it to the accuracy test, but the other seemed just as accurate with a little less feeling.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Morilla makes no bones about it: he likes Winston WT type rods. He likes the delicate presentation that he gets with the WT's, but he also seems to be enjoying the distance he got from the Z-Axis, and the distance and accuracy he gets from the One. I don't know who Morilla is, but suspect that he's old enough that his Winston WT bias won't go away. Old habits are hard to break, and having tons of line pulled from your hand unexpectedly can be shocking. I wish I could get my wife's face on video when that happens. :D Also, Morilla is saying that he wasn't able to be as consistent as the One would like for a caster to be, and that the Z-Axis was more forgiving of his timing. It was an issue of finding and repeating the "Sweet Spot" that Morilla was addressing. I have little doubt that if he were able to fish the One for a longer period of time, he would have found that consistency. He said pretty much the same thing about the Z-Axis, but liked that rod as well. It could also be an approach to writing in which he doesn't want to just flat out say, "WOW! This rod is IT! It cast into the backing all day, and all the guys around me had heart attacks from its awesome power and shock wave!" The sort of stuff you see in magazine blurbs. :D

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Frank...I hate to sound like a magazine blurb, but...WOW:yikes:, I have never seen line shoot so straight so many times in a row off of MY rod! After listening to you incessant insistance that the Gen 5 was "sweet" in a way that you can't imagine until you fsh one, I got a TXL when they were closed-out cheap and I understood. My 4710-3 is my absolute favorite rod for all of my dry fly fishing. It has a "sweet" factor that cannot be vocabularized. However the ONE is so amazingly easy to cast straight, it has a "sweet" that the GEN 5 did no; every time the line comes off of tip it tracks like a lazer and lays down perfect lines; I've never seen or felt anything like it. I think it corrects whatever it is in my cast that makes slack, and sideways wiggles appear in my line as it lays down. I've cast at least 20 different 9'5wts and I've never had that experience. When I was test casting the ONE for the first time, I cast it side by side with the Z and believe it or not, the Z felt clumsy in comparison. Now, I know that the Z is not clumsy, I realize that, but maybe the ONE is just that Un-Clumsy...it deserves a frogdance

:frogdance

Hey SweetandSalt...

Last edited:

ausablebrown

Reaction score
LOL! Now I'm going to have to try the One. A :frogdance could cost me some cash: my wife will want one, so that means TWO!!! :eek: :yikes: :D
Maybe you should just listen to Morilla...it will save you ALOT of money. On a couple of casts I have had the face you are talking about. I had all the line stripped off in the yard just testing the limits; seeing where it felt comfortable and where the rod/my casting the rod gave out and I put backing out of the top-top. I've never done that with any 5 wt and especially with such ease. I can lay 45' of line on the ground and with one backcast and a forward cast a pinpoint 75' cast is easy as sunday morning. But, like I said before I'm hitting pie-plates at all distances. Sorry I turned this thread into a commercial...I'll stop now.