George Anderson's "4-Weight Shootout"

sweetandsalt

Reaction score

ausablebrown

Reaction score
The more of these "Shootouts" I read, the less stock I put in their comparisons. This is much less of an "apples to apples" than the other shootouts. A 7'10" 4wt is an entirely different rod than a 9' 4wt... Just to add, the 8' passport is a very stealthy casting and light feeling rod, the 9ft is a clumsy beast. They are still decent reviews, but WAAAAYYYY too many factors to consider when getting a 4wt rod to put any stock in where they rank them.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Given its ranking in the top half and price at the very bottom, I'd say that the Imperial is the winner in one regard.

Jackster

Reaction score
When is a 4 weight not a 4 weight?
When it needs a 4-1/2 weight line to behave.

chuck s

Reaction score
I've been following shoot outs for many years now with rods and reels--first in the Flyfishing Amercia magazine and for the past few with George Anderson's and they are very useful but you do need to read the entire report to understand the many facts and facets being tested or not and how exactly did they test them. George's are pretty good if not the best as the aspects are many and varied that they do incorporate into their testing. Of course there are always a few that get away such as a shorter against a longer rod mentioned above. In short they give a lot of info about the rods tested and any one contemplating buying a rod can use that to advantage.

burk48237

Reaction score
Well obviously I'm biased.:D

But these rods are the real deal. Having fished them now for a season I'm real impressed. One comment, I'm glad they preferred true four weights in this test. A four weight should be a dry fly rod. People shouldn't ask four weights to do the things five weights are made for (throwing small streamers, big indicator rigs). I understand why Yellowstone Angler would test five weights with a GPX (1/2 size heavier) because that fits the purpose of a five weight in Yellowstone. . But a four weight, even out west on spring creeks is suppose to be a delicate fly presenter, with a bit of reserve power not a "big gun". There are exceptions like long casting dry fly presentation on big flat water, Connors flats on the Ausable comes to mind. All in all I can't say I'm surprised at the results.

trout sniper

Reaction score
I hace three of the 4wts on that list (I really need to thin my fly rod collection out, it is an addiction) and the TFO Finesse is my favorite of all of them. IMO it is BS that he put the Finesse that low on the list.

pegboy1

Reaction score
I personally prefer a fast action 4wt. I feel i can make as delicate as a short dry fly cast as slower rods. Where I fish in the driftless area of wisconsin
the winds can get pretty strong blowing through those valleys and its nice to a have a little power as so your line doesnt blow clear off of a small 5' or 6' wide stream. I like the option of a little punch to get that line working to bust the wind.

trout sniper

Reaction score
I personally prefer a fast action 4wt. I feel i can make as delicate as a short dry fly cast as slower rods. Where I fish in the driftless area of wisconsin
the winds can get pretty strong blowing through those valleys and its nice to a have a little power as so your line doesnt blow clear off of a small 5' or 6' wide stream. I like the option of a little punch to get that line working to bust the wind.
Yeah, it is just my opinion. To each his own, I guess. I like fast action rods as well, the BVK (i have a 5wt) is one of my all-time favorites.

attila

Reaction score
I dont see how theycan justify comparing a 9' rod to a 7'10" rod. Even from the same maker and model the difference in length alone can made a big difference in how the rod casts and how they are tapered,swing weight and so on.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
There is more diversity of rod type in this test via including both short and long versions and Trout and GPX lines. It is curious for me as my basic trout quiver includes two #4 rods: an 8 1/2' with a delicate tip progressively tapering into a a medium fast mid and butt section for spring creek environments and a 9' faster action 4-weight for small dries on big technical tail waters.

My newest 8 1/2'/#4 in a long line of such rods is the winner of this shootout, the Hardy Zenith which I have been fishing for a year now with Hardy's Ultralite DD and a RIO Gold #4...a very cool outfit. Currently a Scott S3 9'/#4.5 loaded with the GPX is my bigger water little rod but I intend to replace it with one of the losers in this test like the NRX 4.5 or the Sage ONE.

I favor a tight-looped, high line-speed dry fly delivery to effectively turn over my line and 15+' leader (5' of tippet) to execute a reach cast with in-air mends and wiggles before my fly wafts down into the trout's precise feeding lane. As I write this I am distracted by the fantasy of the short hackle legs of my thorax dun rotating the fly on its slack tippet as they brush against the overhanging grass draping over the creeks bank. Near the end of the drift is a matte of grass below which I have detected a bulge...I hope my imatation arrives as if unattached simultaniously with the timing of that bulge which is insuring that a good number of PMD's never get to moult and reproduce.

Last edited:

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
No Redington CT = Incomplete and Invalid test.
I was really hoping to see it on the list.
I have trouble comparing these results to my real world fishing experiences but always enjoy the read. They put a lot of effort into it and it shows.

attila

Reaction score
Yep it is interesting to read. I think it's helpful as a review of each rod. It's the comparison part that's just not really fair IMO. :)

mojo

Reaction score
There was no McFarlands, Steffan Brothers, ScottF2's, Orvis Superfines/Trout Bums, Winston TMF's, Kabuto's or any other " real true" 4 wts. so it really is a bogus "shootout".:eek:

burk48237

Reaction score
There was no McFarlands, Steffan Brothers, ScottF2's, Orvis Superfines/Trout Bums, Winston TMF's, Kabuto's or any other " real true" 4 wts. so it really is a bogus "shootout".:eek:
Mojo, In fairness it wasn't a test of mountain stream four weights so I doubt you'd see any glass or Boo. I'd love to see such a shoot-out though. Also the Winston TMF is not a production rod and I suspect George Anderson would argue that the Tom Morgan 8' 4 weight two piece in the test was THE Tom Morgan Favorite. :D

The B IIIX, the Zenith, the TMF, and the Sage TXL-F all tested well with the SA LT line, a true four weight line. So there were at least some true four weights in the test.

pegboy1

Reaction score
What?!! No tip heavy cumbersom technologicaly outdated noodles in the shootout !??? :frogdance ;) :sorry:

Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding. :D

ausablebrown

Reaction score
What?!! No tip heavy cumbersom technologicaly outdated noodles in the shootout !??? :frogdance ;) :sorry:

Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding. :D
Hey, Hey...by cumbersome tip heavy you mean a rod that bends, requires a slow casting stroke and makes soft subtle dry fly deliverys. The superfines, Winston WT's, are true 4 wts. How could they do a shootout without the premier Orvis 4wt rod????

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

I hace three of the 4wts on that list (I really need to thin my fly rod collection out, it is an addiction) and the TFO Finesse is my favorite of all of them. IMO it is BS that he put the Finesse that low on the list.
right on here...though I think the 7'9" Finesse is FAR better than the 8'9" that they tested. I have 6 four wt rods and it is still one of my favorite 4wts. I fish with it all the time and it is as good as any 4wt at any price IMO.