Albright A-5 and my continuing search for leading "budget rod"

burns

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with the Albright A-5? I read an external review on it (which is really easy to find just by googling "Albright A-5 review") and some folks really seem to love this rod at $225.

I'm going to be buying a new 4-weight to replace my TLS Power Matrix and I'm looking at the Orvis Superfine, Orvis Clearwater Classic (Superfine blank and taper), TFO Finesse, Echo Classic, Scott V2, St. Croix etc. etc. I want to cast everything I can and make an educated decision. I wouldn't want to go much higher than $200. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear em'. How fast/stiff is the Echo 4-weight?

I would want the 4-weight to have some finesse, and castability at short distances for drys and nymphs w/ strike indicators at short and medium distances. I am thinking 8-8'6".

I'll be buying a 9' 5-weight soon enough and I'll be looking for some power in the 5-weight to cut through the wind and deliver a foam hopper with a couple nymph droppers.

I currently have an 8' 6 weight and a 6'6" 2-weight, since I traded out the TLS 4'weight.

Thanks!

burk48237

Reaction score
If you like the Orvis Superfine and TFO Classic, then I suggest you hold out and check out our (Cortlands) new Brook series. They will only be available at independent shops. I had them at Gates Ausauble Lodge last week bank casting and Rusty was thoroughly impressed. They are a reel nice progressive action with sharp appointments like nickel silver reel seats and winding cheek. They have a lifetime warranty and come with a rod/reel combo case (included) They should be available first part of November. Just another option.

Curtis

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with the Albright A-5? I read an external review on it (which is really easy to find just by googling "Albright A-5 review") and some folks really seem to love this rod at $225.

I'm going to be buying a new 4-weight to replace my TLS Power Matrix and I'm looking at the Orvis Superfine, Orvis Clearwater Classic (Superfine blank and taper), TFO Finesse, Echo Classic, Scott V2, St. Croix etc. etc. I want to cast everything I can and make an educated decision. I wouldn't want to go much higher than $200. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear em'. How fast/stiff is the Echo 4-weight?

I would want the 4-weight to have some finesse, and castability at short distances for drys and nymphs w/ strike indicators at short and medium distances. I am thinking 8-8'6".

I'll be buying a 9' 5-weight soon enough and I'll be looking for some power in the 5-weight to cut through the wind and deliver a foam hopper with a couple nymph droppers.

I currently have an 8' 6 weight and a 6'6" 2-weight, since I traded out the TLS 4'weight.

Thanks!
While I have not cast the A5, I have fished the Albright GP rod, which is their bottom line rod. I had this in an eight foot five weight and have to say this is one of the absolute best casting, smoothest rods I have ever fished, regardless the price. I had a guy at my house doing grass carp fishing and put this in his hand and he was blown away at the way this rod worked. Plus, it is $95 and you can get them on Ebay for the same price with a rod tube. If the A5 is anything similar, I would highly recommend.

Curtis

Reaction score
Sorry, did not see this post.

The GP action is a moderate fast leaning more on the moderate side. Very smooth with tight loop creation.

Try one out.

burns

Reaction score
Well, I'm still looking. I had a chance to cast the Cortland Brook, and it was very nice. It's a great looking rod for the money too.

I'll probably end up doing a custom rod or getting a Brook, or something else if I can find a great deal (possibly a GP or an A-5).

Thanks for the input.