Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Difference in 8'6 vs. 9'0 rod handling?

Default Difference in 8'6 vs. 9'0 rod handling?

First time post; lurker for a few months. I'm looking at a new 5 wt and was wondering if there is a difference in how a fly rod handles in different lenghts.8'6 vs. 9 0; I'm in MO so I will not be fishing large waters except for a few times per year when headed to the White system. For what its worth fishing a 8' 6 SC Avid, 4wt. Thanks

Default Re: Difference in 8'6 vs. 9'0 rod handling?

In my opinion there is a big difference between a 8.5 and a 9.0 ft rod. If I were you I would borrow a 9 ft rod and try it on your local streams. If you have the casting room, then I say buy the 9 wt. If not get the shorter rod.

For my local streams I use a 7.5, 8.0 and 8.5 ft rods in 3,4, and 5 wt respectively. I have not used a 9 ft rod in my local waters for 20 years. But then I go to Montana, I use a 10 ft 5 wt rod with a 9 ft 4 wt as a back up. The 9 ft 4 wt is used if I fish a spring creek.

Since you already have a 8.5 foot Avid, you could also fish a 5 wt line on it with a second spare spool for your local streams and then buy the 9 footer 5 wt for larger waters. I doubt you would notice that much difference using the 4 wt rod if you really wanted to use a 5 wt line.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I am with Silver on this...stay with a 8'6" rod for the smaller waters. I have found that the 6" makes a difference in smaller areas...also the 8'6" rods will generally have a lighter feel in hand (less swing weight)

Also since you already have a 4wt, my suggestion would be to go for a 9' 6wt for the larger waters. If you stay with a medium action, you should be able to use it for both dry and wet (nymphs, streamers) flies with a suitable line taper.

IMHO, 4wt to 5wt is not sufficient gap to provide differentiating performance.

4. Likes imxer liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hey Skyline,

Welcome to the forum, I am quite sure you will get a good sampling of opinion on your first post here. I do hope that you will continue to post with us and give the membership a chance to unload some of that knowledge they have stored up. Glad to see you on the board,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Welcome

As far as rod length goes I am sort of an all or nothing guy. I have several 9' 4 and 6wt rods that get used a couple times a year max. I only use those when I go to big open water where there are not alot of obstructions for casting and a 40-50' or greater cast is common.

Other than that I have several 3 and 4 wt rods ranging from 7' - 7'10". I dont see the rod length hampering the ability to cast 30-40' which is a good distance.

The two things I notice is roll casting these short rods is fine until I get more than about 20' of line out. Also they are a little tougher to nymph with as far as mending or high sticking goes....tougher but not impossible.

I had several 8'6" rods and I ended up selling them for the fact that in my spots I fish it is either go big or go small.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

I have an 8'6" TFO pro series. I bought my daughter a 9' 0" TFO pro series. Both are 4 wt but feel different. The 9 feels stiffer. I like mine better. She will get use to hers.
    Okiemountaineer

It depends on the rod. One companies 9' may swing lighter and easier than another's 8'6". Personally, I have a 9' 3wt that I love becuase I can keep line off the water, mend, and get distance with. I also have 7'10" 3wt that I love in tighter quarters that feel heavier than the 9' (Sage One v TFO Lefty Kreh).
    I fish, therefore, I drink...

Creeker,

I may have mistaken about the original question but my view is that it was not about the "feel" of the rod. It was about the casting space allowing a nine foot rod to be used on the small stream regardless of how it feels. That is why I said 6 inches makes a big difference.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

This could be taken 'more than one way,' but you add 6" to a rod and you've (all things considered) added a significant amount of distance you could cast.

Given where you are that may/may not make a whit's difference. But the terms: "Over-kill-Under-kill," are alive and well. Me thinks.

'Gentlemen, choose your weapons' sort of thing.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"