The Scott A4 Thread

johny65

Reaction score
Hello Im really thinking about picking up this rod. I want 10 ft 4wt, but if you have experiences with other sizes of scott a4 please write or you can share photos of the rods and scott a4 rods in action too. Thank you very much :)

alligator

Reaction score
I just got the A4 804. I've only yard cast it, but it's amazing. Very similar to my S4 803 (ebay purchase), but half the retail price. Can't wait to get on the stream.

(Now why would I own a 804 and a 803? Because my wife, a good fisherperson, is too cheap to buy her own gear. But which rod will I give her?)

johny65

Reaction score
I would give her 803, because she is a lady and needs lighter and more elegant rod :) Neverthless I like more the design of A4.

db cooper

Reaction score
I have the 905 as well as the 804 and will be picking more up for sure. I over line the 804 with a dt5 for small creeks. I love both rods. I am a huge Scott fan but to be honest these are some of the finest rods they have ever offered at any price point. They have a un-sanded blank, which may or may not suite you but i really dont care either way. The craftsmanship and components look more like a $700 rod than the $400 rod that they are. Like all Scott rods they are made for fishing, not parking lots, while i can move most of a DT5 line with the 905, it excels in the 20-60 foot range. Its a med/fast action with a softer (not floppy) tip but a ton of power in reserve towards the butt.

Last edited:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Would you say the 905 is true to line weight? Has anyone experienced the 904.
I have only parking lot cast a few different A4 series rods. They are true to line weight.

The A4 series is an improvement over the previous A3. It feels lighter in hand. The action still feels the same (closer to a mid flex than a tip flex), but it is crisper. This is due to a quicker recovery (less tip bounce).

The 904/4 model shows all of the improvements that I listed above plus another. The accuracy at distance (45 to 60 feet) improved. I feel confident that a decent caster could take a #10 Chernobyl Ant and place it within a three foot radius at the 45 to 60 foot range consistently.

I tested this rod with a Rio Gold.

Dennis

legalyaker

Reaction score
Hello Im really thinking about picking up this rod. I want 10 ft 4wt, but if you have experiences with other sizes of scott a4 please write or you can share photos of the rods and scott a4 rods in action too. Thank you very much :)
That 10' 4wt does look interesting. Might make a great soft hackle rod.

markg52

Reaction score
I've been interested in the A4 myself. Soon as I get a free weekend I plan on checking them out at McClellan's Fly Shop. Not gonna lie though, I'd sure like to find another Z-Axis in 590-4.

johny65

Reaction score
I've been interested in the A4 myself. Soon as I get a free weekend I plan on checking them out at McClellan's Fly Shop. Not gonna lie though, I'd sure like to find another Z-Axis in 590-4.
Please give know, how you like them. If anybody could post some pics of the scott a4 rods I would be glad thanks :)

schizz

Reaction score
I looked at a lot of rods this year before picking the A4 8'6" 4wt. I bought it based on quality, feel and parking lot performance. On the water the rod is absolutley amazing. Yesterday I was dropping dries into about a three foot opening between logs and branches from around 30-35 feet. I wanted to hit the pool and thought I would wade over if I snagged, didn't snag once, it's just crazy accurate. I am also surprised at how sensitive it is in this length for nymphing. I typically don't use a strike indicator (this is actually the first year I've ever tried one) and once past the dead drift I am able to feel the difference between bouncing on the bottom and a strike. Caught about 10 bows/browns with nymphs and about 10 or so more on top. As others have mentioned It really can put out a lot of line if needed. I paired it with a Nautilus FWX (another great bargain at its price point) and it makes for a very balanced outfit. I would imagine the 10' would be an awesome rod as well. I debated buying rods at twice the price and really happy with my decision to buy the A4.

coldwater55

Reaction score
Just recieved my A4 Thursday from ups,havnt had a chance to hit the river yet.
So far just yard casting it I really enjoy this rod,I got the 9' 6wt.As far as a reel for it ,I want the new Hatch

markg52

Reaction score
I made it down to McClellan's Fly Shop today and did some parking lot casting with a 9 foot 5 weight. It is now in the back of my Jeep ready for some water and fish slime. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. :)

mike63

Reaction score
I just bought a Scott A4 8ft4wt and paired it with the Lamson Litespeed 1.5. I bought this "secret" outfit for a few of the small streams I fish when I venture back to my home state of SD and fish the Black Hills area. A debated over what length of rod to get but 8 ft just seemed perfect for my smaller dream streams. What a piece of art and it's cool that it's made right here in CO. Can't wait to fish it.

markg52

Reaction score
I put a Lamson Velocity 1.5 on mine. Finally got some fish stink on it last week. Hit the creek near my house hunting for a big carp thats been hanging around. He didn't show, caught a few bream and enjoyed watching my son catch some Smallmouth chunking a Hula Grub. Headed over to Norfork tailwaters Saturday morning. Had a really good day. Caught a bunch of rainbows and a couple of browns. Rod is awesome! Threw everything from a two beadhead flies/split shot/ and an indicator rig while the water was droppng out, to soft hackle in the shoasl. Wind even came up pretty good but punched right through it. Very impressed with the rod. The only breakoff I had was when I dropped my backcast while a little close to the bank and snagged some grass, so I'd say tippet protection was excellent.

legalyaker

Reaction score
Got to try out the 9' 5wt and 8'6 4wt. Wow! I like them better than the S4 in those weights. They feel more fishable but can still punch a cast out. They track very true. I wish I could have tried the 9' 4wt for comparison. Best value out there by far.

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score
May have to try one of these out if its similar to the s4. I need a 4 weight and I'm more concerned about accuracy but I still want power for wind.

Does it have the power to punch through wind?