Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Winston passport

Anyone try one of these? i see there is one for sale in the classifieds on here. Are they Winston quality or low end with Winstons name? Thanks.

2. Default Re: Winston passport

I casted one of these. They are really nice fly rods and better than they ought to be considering the nice price, but IMO is definately are NOT on par with a "standard," more exspensive Winston.

Default Re: Winston passport

They are a cheap imported rod and look the part. Definitely not a "Real Winston". Low end with the Winston name is the perfect description. From a fishing standpoint however they are great rods. They cast well, but lack the power to move a lot of line in the air imho. Aesthetics aside, they are good rods and great bang for the buck. I had a 6 weight and it was nice.

I agree with db cooper, its not the quality of a higher end Winston, but it is a pretty good casting rod for the money. I had the 590-4 version, which eventually got returned due to a broken tip.

x3 Good casting rod and nice price but hardley a Winston by any stretch. There are others on the market now that are better in the same price range imo.
    The best laid plans of mice and men...

Quote Originally Posted by chased View Post
    I agree with db cooper, its not the quality of a higher end Winston, but it is a pretty good casting rod for the money. I had the 590-4 version, which eventually got returned due to a broken tip.
    Odd...i broke the tip on mine as well. Was yours fishing or due to accident? Reason i ask is that mine broke casting and was a pretty new rod. I got it repaired by Winston...which took a looooong time i might add and then sold to a friend of mine who thought it was the bees knees...about 8 months later...he broke the tip off fighting a fish...just wondering if we are onto something here. He may have high sticked the fish...who knows.

I'd like to think that it was just the rod and not myself, but who knows. I was fishing with it on a relatively cold day in the 30 degree area, I thought the graphite may have got brittle and broke. It was a relatively new rod too, so I just took it back to Cabela's and had them give me a merchandise credit.