Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. Default Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    Hi
    I've seen many positive reviews for the 8wt BVK ($250) as a bonefish rod,
    but I've seen a 2piece 8wt z-axis on sale for $420 and was wondering if
    I should step up to the z-axis.
    (being a 2 piece the zaxis is light and has a great action)

    I'm planning my first flats fishing to the Bahamas. I'm a pretty confident caster, but i'm not sure if the z-axis will be good enough in the salt.
    The problem is that people compare the z-axis to the TCR and XI2 or 3 and not to the BVK.

    I havent had a chance to cast either rod, although i have cast both in different line weights.

    What are you're thoughts/recommendations on this until i can get a chance to cast them side by side.

    I have a 6wt z-axis as my trout rod and I like it, so I don't mind spending the extra cash.

    My main use for the 8wt is to wade the flats fishing for bonefish, and as a streamer/nymph rod for trout.

    Should i pay more for the z-axis or look for something else around the $400 to $500 range that would be more suitable.

    Alot of people recommend the Loomis crosscurrent GLX as well, and if im contemplating the price jump, should i be looking at these?

    thanks for your input

    cheers
    Sean

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,780

    Default Re: Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    I don't have any experience with either one in the 8 weight, but I would suggest you try both of them and see how accurately you can throw 60-80' of line with them. Models that earn kudos as versatile trout rods don't always perform as well as saltwater cannons (and vice versa).

    Two rods that I would recommend highly for saltwater are the Orvis Helios 9.5 Tip Flex and the Powell Tiboron XL. I've got them both in the 9 weight version, but I imagine the 8 weight is very similar. The Hydros was recently discontinued and most of the remainig dealer inventory has been sold, but there are still a few around for closeout prices of $300-350. (Try eBay.) The Tiboron is on closeout at Sierra Trading Post for $225, but you can get it a lot cheaper than that if you subscribe to their online discount coupons. (The coupon promotions change every few days. It was $157.46 at today's price.)

    Another that I can recommend is the GL-H2O from The Fly Shop in Redding, Calif. It is similar to the old Loomis GLX. I have that one in a 7 weight. The Fly Shop is changing the name of their house brand to "Signature Series" and is selling out last year's remaining inventory for $149.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    i have a 9 weight BVK and love it . very comfortabl at 60 feet. The z axis from what i hear is faster. The owner of my local fly shop doesnt recommend orvis rods because of how often they break. The worlds best bonefish rod is the G loomis NRX. If you can afford one of those go for it. Dont get the pro 4x though its very noodly.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,848
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    Quote Originally Posted by sldrose View Post
    I'm planning my first flats fishing to the Bahamas. I'm a pretty confident caster, but i'm not sure if the z-axis will be good enough in the salt.
    Here is an issue that you will have. Try traveling with 2 piece rod. It is not very packable.

    Get yourself a good 4 piece rod.

    Dennis

  5. Likes mcnerney, sweetandsalt liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    I cast both and chose the BVK. I suggest you cast them both and choose. Both very nice rods. I actually found the performance to be very similar. I chose the TFO based on the superior warranty and the fact it was almost 3 times less expensive.

  7. #6

    Default Re: Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    Quote Originally Posted by sldrose View Post
    Hi
    I've seen many positive reviews for the 8wt BVK ($250) as a bonefish rod,
    but I've seen a 2piece 8wt z-axis on sale for $420 and was wondering if
    I should step up to the z-axis.
    (being a 2 piece the zaxis is light and has a great action)

    I'm planning my first flats fishing to the Bahamas. I'm a pretty confident caster, but i'm not sure if the z-axis will be good enough in the salt.
    The problem is that people compare the z-axis to the TCR and XI2 or 3 and not to the BVK.

    I havent had a chance to cast either rod, although i have cast both in different line weights.

    What are you're thoughts/recommendations on this until i can get a chance to cast them side by side.

    I have a 6wt z-axis as my trout rod and I like it, so I don't mind spending the extra cash.

    My main use for the 8wt is to wade the flats fishing for bonefish, and as a streamer/nymph rod for trout.

    Should i pay more for the z-axis or look for something else around the $400 to $500 range that would be more suitable.

    Alot of people recommend the Loomis crosscurrent GLX as well, and if im contemplating the price jump, should i be looking at these?

    thanks for your input

    cheers
    Sean
    Are you sure its a Z-Axis, I don't recall any two piece Z-Axis rods? I'm no expert on Sage, but I can't remember the last two piece high end rod they've made.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    You probably won't find anyone else advocating this Bonefish set-up, but it's my favorite for fish up to 30"

    I use a 9'0" 7 wt. Sage TCX, lined with 7 wt. line if it's not blowing; overlined with an 8 wt. line if its windy but manageable and 2x overlined with a 9 wt. line if it's howling (which it often times is on the flats in Ascension Bay or offshore on one of the Belize atolls).

    The rod fits the fish and it's got enough backbone to be able to throw a 9 wt. line with no problem at all.

    it's also my Smallmouth Bass rod; lined with a WF7F or a 250 gr sink tip line.

    Pocono

  9. #8

    Default Re: Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    Have you looked at all at the TFO TiCRx rod? IMO it is the best fast action rod for under 300$! I recently purchased the 8wt and it killed it here in Northern AZ with whipping wind, throwing rabbit fur pike flies. The reel seat is anodized for saltwater use, and the action is stepped up from the BVK to assist in casting big flies far! It is worth a look!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tehachapi, CA
    Posts
    380

    Default Re: Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    I will speak up on behalf of the G.Loomis Cross Current. I have a 9'9" with a Bauer M4 lined with SA Mastery Streamer Express 350g. I use on striper and it blasts it out there, wind or no wind. This a fast sinking line so you would change to a line for flats work. anyway, just a thought for the 'Loomis rods.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,780

    Default Re: Bonefish rod 8wt bvk or z-axis?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    Here is an issue that you will have. Try traveling with 2 piece rod. It is not very packable.

    Get yourself a good 4 piece rod.

    Dennis
    Amen to that! Don't buy a 2 piece if you're going to be taking it on a plane, no matter how good it is. If you want a Z-Axis, look around and you can find used 4-piece ones in good condition for around $350 (because so many people are trading up to the Sage One even though they've only had their Z-Axis a few years).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •