Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiberglass rod

1. Default Re: Fiberglass rod

So what is a groaner? Tell me what I won Johnnie!
    I don't know about spotting and casting to happening a lot.
    I lucked out that day. First time on Utah Lake and was ready to **** away with the smell of Skunk. Who would of thought, Type II line and a Beadhead Prince nymph with a Haresear #12 would get me into Carp. What a rush. I swear the tip of the rod was about six inches away from the butt. That is one reason I love GLASS.

2. Default Re: Fiberglass rod

Everyone.

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to try out a couple different suggestions here to find out what works best. Again thanks for all your input.

burk48237: I'll definitely post a picture here in the next few days.

Default Re: Fiberglass rod

Just a term for a bad joke/pun.

Really wasn't that bad, just teasing.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

4. Default Re: Fiberglass rod

Let me explain a little more. The builder of the Rod is Alan "AL" the first "One" fish I caught on it was a Carp. AL-Carp-One

Quote Originally Posted by egrosven View Post
    I have just recieved a old Sage fiberglass rod from my neighbor a few days ago. It is a 8'6" 6wt 686 SFL rod in mint condition. I would like to use it to fish steelhead in the upcoming weeks but I'am not sure what wt. line to purchase. I've never casted a fiberglass flyrod before and wasn't sure to buy a heavier line for the slower rod. Also I'am not to familiar with Sage fiberglass rods, my friend seemed to think they are somewhat of a rarity. Can anyone tell me anything more about the rod? If it is something of an oddity maybe I'll just put it on my wall.. thanks
    Hi to all,

I wrote Sage about them making a fiberglass fly rod. It got lost in my Spam Washer but here is the responce from Sage.

Hello Frank,

In the very early days of Sage (early 80’s) we manufactured a fiberglass rod called the SFL. This series was active in our line from 1981-1983 and there is little information still available on these rods. If you have specific questions please let us know and we would be happy to try and research. Our best guess, having never cast the rod, would be that it was a medium action.

Hope this helps!

Team Sage

I find this very interesting as I never knew they made a fiberglass rod.

Frank

6. Default Re: Fiberglass rod

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi to all,

I wrote Sage about them making a fiberglass fly rod. It got lost in my Spam Washer but here is the responce from Sage.

Hello Frank,

In the very early days of Sage (early 80’s) we manufactured a fiberglass rod called the SFL. This series was active in our line from 1981-1983 and there is little information still available on these rods. If you have specific questions please let us know and we would be happy to try and research. Our best guess, having never cast the rod, would be that it was a medium action.

Hope this helps!

Team Sage

I find this very interesting as I never knew they made a fiberglass rod.

Frank

Frankie:

Did the Sage boys come out of old fewick or silaflex(prebrowning)??

Hi Bonefish41,

I don't know. I didn't talk to them.

Frank

8. Default Re: Fiberglass rod

Don Green, one of the founders of Sage was and ex Fenwick employee in rod design I believe. One of Loomis's early designers was also ex Fenwick. Fenwick in the early 80's, late 70's was the leading producer of high end Fly rods, graphite and glass.

If you want some great information on this (fiberglass fly rods) subject, go to this site fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - ezboard.com
    Tell them every thing you know about the rod, take pictures of it, and give all the information printed on the rod blank. There are some real experts over there. Good luck.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12