Fiberglass rod

egrosven

Reaction score
I have just recieved a old Sage fiberglass rod from my neighbor a few days ago. It is a 8'6" 6wt 686 SFL rod in mint condition. I would like to use it to fish steelhead in the upcoming weeks but I'am not sure what wt. line to purchase. I've never casted a fiberglass flyrod before and wasn't sure to buy a heavier line for the slower rod. Also I'am not to familiar with Sage fiberglass rods, my friend seemed to think they are somewhat of a rarity. Can anyone tell me anything more about the rod? If it is something of an oddity maybe I'll just put it on my wall.. thanks

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi egrosven,

I didn't know that Sage ever made fiberglass rods. Your rod is made to cast a 6wt line and that is what you should buy. A sink tip line is a good choice for Steelhead. One problem is a sink tip is harder to cast by a beginner. If you are fishing shallow water you might be better off with a floating line.

Frank

burk48237

Reaction score
Wow, I've heard about these, and I'd love to check it out. Fiberglass rods are great for small stream trout, and any situation where slowing down your casting stroke will help with a more delicate presentation. I have a couple of Hardy glass rods, and it is almost impossible to put a line down hard with them. The only reservation I have is steelhead. You might be able to get away with it on the smaller, lower current PA fish. But I would hesitate to go with anything under 9' foot or at least a faster 7 weight. And faster is not a word in the glass vocabulary. I would save that rod for spring creeks and maybe some smallmouth fishing. I'd love to see a picture.

sandfly

Reaction score
For a sinktip try dropping one line size, the problem with the old fiberglass rods in the lines they made back then did not weigh the same as the newer rods..I dropped a line size on all my glass rods from a 5' to 9'

Curtis

Reaction score
GLASS IS A RIOT! Enjoy that gem of a rod. I would do as Cliff said and throw a five weight line on it as you are going to need a little more distance with steelies. You will love the slow sensitive action of that rod. Much stronger rods too.

Joni

Reaction score
Sandfly, I have a 5'3" 4-5wt. Fenwick (don't know how you got an inch shorter, but sweet little rod). Curtis knows of this one cause I guess it was his at one time.
Anyway, I am going in a different direction here. I have a McFarland Glass rod 8' 6wt. and I use it for everything! I love this rod.
I do use "6wt." line on it and I use from Floating to a Type VII. True you have to slow down on sinking lines, but it is really easy to cast after you get the timing down.
I was unaware Sage made glass so, hang on to it my friend. Gotta be kewl.
I like glass because of the softer tip. Lose less fish that way, but it can be harder to set the hook so practice pulling with your line hand like Cliff and others do.
I have landed 32" carp with this rod (hense it's name "Alcarpone") and it was a blast.
I will agree however, that a fast current river could present new problems. Just make sure you have a clear path and can run in wading shoes, and you will be alright LOL.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Code:
Alcarpone
?

Joni I hereby award you the "Groaner of the Day" award

Wish I had a place where I could spot and cast to carp consistently, must be nice.

Joni

Reaction score
So what is a groaner? Tell me what I won Johnnie!
I don't know about spotting and casting to happening a lot.
I lucked out that day. First time on Utah Lake and was ready to **** away with the smell of Skunk. Who would of thought, Type II line and a Beadhead Prince nymph with a Haresear #12 would get me into Carp. What a rush. I swear the tip of the rod was about six inches away from the butt. That is one reason I love GLASS.

egrosven

Reaction score
Everyone.

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to try out a couple different suggestions here to find out what works best. Again thanks for all your input.

burk48237: I'll definitely post a picture here in the next few days.

Joni

Reaction score
Let me explain a little more. The builder of the Rod is Alan "AL" the first "One" fish I caught on it was a Carp. AL-Carp-One

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I have just recieved a old Sage fiberglass rod from my neighbor a few days ago. It is a 8'6" 6wt 686 SFL rod in mint condition. I would like to use it to fish steelhead in the upcoming weeks but I'am not sure what wt. line to purchase. I've never casted a fiberglass flyrod before and wasn't sure to buy a heavier line for the slower rod. Also I'am not to familiar with Sage fiberglass rods, my friend seemed to think they are somewhat of a rarity. Can anyone tell me anything more about the rod? If it is something of an oddity maybe I'll just put it on my wall.. thanks
Hi to all,

I wrote Sage about them making a fiberglass fly rod. It got lost in my Spam Washer but here is the responce from Sage.

Hello Frank,

In the very early days of Sage (early 80’s) we manufactured a fiberglass rod called the SFL. This series was active in our line from 1981-1983 and there is little information still available on these rods. If you have specific questions please let us know and we would be happy to try and research. Our best guess, having never cast the rod, would be that it was a medium action.

Hope this helps!

Team Sage

I find this very interesting as I never knew they made a fiberglass rod.

Frank

bonefish41

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I wrote Sage about them making a fiberglass fly rod. It got lost in my Spam Washer but here is the responce from Sage.

Hello Frank,

In the very early days of Sage (early 80’s) we manufactured a fiberglass rod called the SFL. This series was active in our line from 1981-1983 and there is little information still available on these rods. If you have specific questions please let us know and we would be happy to try and research. Our best guess, having never cast the rod, would be that it was a medium action.

Hope this helps!

Team Sage

I find this very interesting as I never knew they made a fiberglass rod.

Frank

Frankie:

Did the Sage boys come out of old fewick or silaflex(prebrowning)??

burk48237

Reaction score
Don Green, one of the founders of Sage was and ex Fenwick employee in rod design I believe. One of Loomis's early designers was also ex Fenwick. Fenwick in the early 80's, late 70's was the leading producer of high end Fly rods, graphite and glass.

mojo

Reaction score
If you want some great information on this (fiberglass fly rods) subject, go to this site fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - ezboard.com
Tell them every thing you know about the rod, take pictures of it, and give all the information printed on the rod blank. There are some real experts over there. Good luck.