Payne 95 Taper

Pocono

Reaction score
I just received a new rod that I ordered about a year ago. It's a cane rod; a 6'0" Payne 95 taper 3 wt. It was built for me by one of the guides that I knew in the Pocono mountains; Ben Turpin, he also builds rods in the off-season; about 6 per year.

He built a cane 5 wt. for me last year; a Dickerson taper, and I thoroughly enjoyed fishing it for Rainbows and Bowns in some of the local streams in the Poconos last Summer.

This time I wanted something to chase small native Brookies in some of the tiny streams that I'm slowly discovering here in Northeastern MA, and a 6'0" 3 wt. seemed like it would fit in well with my fishing plans.

Here are some pics of the rod.

I paired it with a Hardy Featherweight this afternoon for some lawn casting. It was loaded with WF3F line and I think I'll probably go with a DT3 line in the future, but it cast very easily and very well. I'd say for distances from "just the leader out" to about 35 ft., it's as nice a rod as I've ever cast. Of course, with 30' or less line out, there's not that much difference between a WF3F and a DT3 line anyway.

I asked for a Leonard-style thin, tapered grip and I think that he really got it right for me on this rod. The feel in the hand is great and the balance point with the Featherweight lined out through the tip top is just under my index finger when I hold the rod. Even with the slow action of cane, I think I could cast this rod for about a week straight without ever getting arm tired.

It's flamed cane with olive wraps and a nice silver nickle ferrule that gives just the right "pop" when you pull the 2 sections apart.

Ben added a nice moss green agate stripping guide and I think it looks great on the rod.

One more:

I'm ready now!

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention, it came with two tips.

So, I got up early this AM and put the "distance" tip on the rod and now I can say that it's eeking out there to about 50 ft. with very little effort.

But I know that most of my cast with this rod will be 25 ft. and under; just based on the streams that I plan to fish.

There's just something about cane rods. Originally, I thought that they were just pretty, but there's something to the way that they cast and fish that changes the game for me. I can't put my finger on it, but it definitely adds to my fly fishing experience.

The feeling of a good sized fish on the end of my 8'0' 5 wt. Dickerson 14 taper is something that kept me fishing only cane for the second half of 2011. I can't wait to get my first Brookie on this new stick! :)

Pocono

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Beautiful rod Allan:thumbsup:I specially like the colour:)it was worth waiting for one year;)glad you feel like fishing again....and posting on the forum:)

neversink

Reaction score
Allan,

It's a beauty and perfect choice for your next visit to Japan's mountain creeks:)

And here is little cheeky question.
Have you lifted your ban on bamboo then?

mojo

Reaction score
Two tapers I really like are the 95 and 98. Hope you have a blast with it.