Favorite Streamer Rod

chicagojohn

Reaction score
I was looking for opinions on what everyones favorite streamer rod is (brand and line weight). I have met some that swear by a super fast 6 weight, while others like 7 or 8 weights.

wishiniwerfishin

Reaction score
I have both ends of the price range when it comes to fly rods, my High end rods are Scott S4's and my cheaper second rods are TFO BVK's. They both cast and fish great but I do like my Scott rods a bit more.

Expensive- Scott S4 7wt

Ceap- TFO BVK 7wt

jaybo41

Reaction score
When I'm throwing streamers for trout, I am likely fishing my 490 or 590 Z Axis. Love those rods. I'm usually throwing #6-#12's with them and will lean on the 490 for most of my work. If I want to throw heavier or larger flies I'll go with the 590.

I picked up a switch rod that I'm anxious to throw some larger streamers with, it's a 6110 Z Axis. It will probably get more use for GL Steelhead than anything else, but will likely see some duty for smallmouth so I can get myself acclimated with it.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Mine's an Orvis Hydros 9' 6 wt Tip Flex. I love it, but I bet a Sage Z Axis or One, or Loomis NRX, would be just as much fun.

They all run on the stiff side. You don't necessarily need a stiffer rod or heavier line for streamers than for dries or nymphs, and I've fished streamers with a medium action 8' 4 weight. However, a rod with more spine will help if you use a weighted fly or a sink tip line, or if you need to cast longer distances. You're likely to run into all those circumstances when you fish streamers.

imxer

Reaction score
I have fished larger Western rivers most of the time, using a Loomis 8.5ft or 9ft x 6wt for streamers, dries & nymphs.
Switch to a Loomis 4wt when primarily using dries but tie on a streamer when the water calls for one.

Last edited:

chicagojohn

Reaction score
I picked up a switch rod that I'm anxious to throw some larger streamers with, it's a 6110 Z Axis. It will probably get more use for GL Steelhead than anything else, but will likely see some duty for smallmouth so I can get myself acclimated with it.
I am tempted to start streamer fishing with a spey or switch rod, just because you can get so much more distance with a weighted or unweighted fly while lake or large river fishing. The Z-Axis rods can certainly be picked up at a better price now that the One switch and spey rods have been released. I like how wind plays less of a factor when using a two handed rod as well.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I am tempted to start streamer fishing with a spey or switch rod, just because you can get so much more distance with a weighted or unweighted fly while lake or large river fishing. The Z-Axis rods can certainly be picked up at a better price now that the One switch and spey rods have been released. I like how wind plays less of a factor when using a two handed rod as well.
So what species did you have in mind when you started the post? I fish in the areas you likely do for trout and the 490 Z loaded with GPX Textured is perfect for my taste for throwing streamers in the sizes I mentioned. If I'm going bigger or the water is up I'll throw the 590. Back here in PA for smallies I take the 590 out. What I love about both of these rods is that if/when I need to change to nymphs, dries or small midges the rod just gets the job done. Very well I might add.

The switch is cool , just be prepared for an investment. You'll need a reel with the capacity to hold the line for it. Usually 2 sizes up. Also, line and options for it can be a labyrinth to navigate. I have not gone down this path yet, but there is a gentleman that is highly regarded and often recommended who can make a custom line for you roughly for the same cost as a new line. You call him, tell him what rod you have, your fishing application and he'll cut a line that will get you dialed in immediately. If you were ever thinking of owning a Z Axis switch, now is the time to do it.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
What you need to consider is how big the payload will be. Think about the size and makeup of the fly and the line strategy that you plan on using.

My medium payload streamer rod is a Sage 691-4 Z-Axis. I have it lined up with a 200 grain Airflo Depthfinder integrated shooting head. I can throw a size 4 conehead Barr's Slumpbuster decently with it. Keep in mind that fly has several wraps of .030 inch lead and gets waterlogged due to the zonker strips in addition to the tungsten conehead. If I used a 7 weight with a 250 grain line, I know that i could throw that fly much more efficiently.

If I plan on going to super heavy payloads, I'm breaking out my 8 weight with the 300 grain integrated shooting head.

So what's tonights theme? Smaller payloads mean lighter rod. Bigger payloads mean heavier rods. You need to figure out what you plan on throwing.

Dennis

Edit: My favorite streamer rod that is in my current quiver is my new stick which is a Hardy ProAxis 9 foot 8 weight.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi John,

I use every rod I own for streamer fishing. Each one has its special niche but to be specific......I threw a bunch of snap T style roll casts along with overhead casts with an Orvis PM-10 5 weight in 9'. I fished the rod hard for 8 years on medium to large creeks & rivers. It had the power (no pun intended) to propel a Rocket Taper #5 with a 32" lead head and size #2 & 4 feather wing streamers to where ever I needed them to be. So for all round applications streamers / change to dries and back, the 9' 5 weights in a fast blank worked well for me.

I also have used an 8 foot 6 weight bamboo for tossing streamers and I do enjoy my time with that rod also. As I said when I started this, I use them all for streamers because I fished them 80% of the time in the lower 48 and for the past 8 seasons I've only fished dry flies 5 times................

The ultimate is a 13' 9" 1981 Hardy 9 weight Spey rod for tossing and then controlling the fly through the swim, I wish I had started using them long ago.

The real answer was the 9' #5 Orvis :)

Ard

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
I have my 5/6wt walmart special for throwing heavier streamers for trout on small streams and rivers, and I havnt ried out the TFO 4wt with a streamer, but i think it will do the job if needed, although they may have to be more along the #8 - #10 size.

burk48237

Reaction score
I throw 200 grain thirty foot Cortland QD's with a 9-6 Hardy Proaxis. In the Fall when I break out the 250's I'll move up to an 9-7 Proaxis. Both easily handle 8" long Ditch Pigs for BIG trout, and I've landed Steelhead with both rods. The 6 weight actually held up fine on a mint 15 pound AK Silver.

nickel

Reaction score
St.Croix legend elite 9' 5wt with a Rio streamer 15' sinktip s3 line spooled on a Galvan Torque T-5. Fast and light in the hand! Can haul 90+ft from the sitting position in my super fatcat. No memory and no kick from the line in the stroke while casting!

second setup for bigger water...

G-Loomis Streamdance GLX HLS 9' 6wt (nice little fighting butt) with Rio streamer 15' sinktip s6 line spooled on a Lamson litespeed 2. Not as fast as my Elite but light and nice soft tip along with plenty of backbone to haul line. Can haul 75+ft with wickedly bigger flies sz 2-4-6.

I use these two setups primarily for big trout waters.

axle27

Reaction score
For trout, I use a 9ft 5wt Quarrow Drake Big Horn with a Jim Teeny WF5F/S (Has a 5ft sinking tip), flouro furled leader and flouro tippet.

For smallmouth and such, I step up to the 9ft 7wt Hardy Demon.

shimloom

Reaction score
I have to say out west I use a G.Loomis 9'6" IMX with WF line and it has worked great for years. Not only trout but river smallies, aces!

addni

Reaction score
I go for either my 7 or 8 wt Sage ONE these days. On the 7 I have an intermediate SA line to let it sink slightly. On the 8, I alternate between Rio Outbound for large streams, and a plain WF for smaller streams. My 8 is a 10' so that one gets to do my "hitching". I also always carry a Spey versileader sinking if I need to go scuba :)