Switch rod advice needed

addni

Reaction score
I am looking to expand my stable of rods to include a switch rod. I do however appreciate any advice on brands, lengths & line weights. I most certainly will be going for a fast action rod, since that seems to be what ticks for me in single hands. I will mostly be using this as a complimentary rod for Atlantic Salmon in Iceland etc, where either casting limitations would apply or my general laziness would get the better of me.

addni

Reaction score
I'll mostly use it for Scandinavian Spey casting as well the occassional overhead casting.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I never had a switch rod but am going to ask a question anyway. Why not just get a 13' Spey and be done with it? I use these for salmon and trout and like the length and the ability to handle any size fish with them. Where do you live?

Ard

addni

Reaction score
Hi Ard.

I have 14' Spey rod, but I want a switchfor the inbetween situations, where it's a little cumbersome to take a full Spey rod. I live in Iceland, and there are a few rivers where there is limited backcasting space in places. I usually carry 2 rods when covering 3-5 pools at a time, and this would serve me great.

Arni