Cabelas L-Tech, any owners/experience?

addni

Reaction score
As the title "hints", I would like to hear if there are anyone of you who have fished this rod or actually own it.

As for a cabelas rod, it has gotten somewhat favourable reviews, albeit on their website.

I reckon this might be a good place to get a different view :)

darwin

Reaction score
I have a 5# 9' L-Tec and I think it is a good rod for the price. It is a very light and fast rod. I use it on lakes or big open waters for casting streamers and lures. I prefer something a bit slower for dry flies.
It is always best to try out a rod before you purchase one if you can, push come to shove you can return it to Cabelas if you don't like it. If your not in a rush watch for sales as this rod has been discounted in the past. hope that helps a bit.
oh yea, Cabela's is honest with the reviews as far as I can tell, I have posted a negative one and they did post it to the public website after they reviewed it. :thumbsup:

Walter1023

Reaction score
If you can wait a few days I'll give you my review. I just ordered a 9' 4 weight last Thursday and should get it mid week. I primarily dry fly fish but even for that I prefer faster action rods. FYI...the online price still shows as $219 But i received a catalog in the mail and they were on sale for $137.99....prompting me to buy it. also Cabelas reviews are 100% genuine ... Some of their products get awful reviews 1.3 out of 5 stars, etc......however for this rod to get 4.7 stars out of 5 with 36 reviewers I figure that's a good sign. I also saw some online posts favoring this rod.

db cooper

Reaction score
imho its probably the best rod on the market in that price range. I have actually fished with one a couple of times and while i dont think its a good looking rod, its a great casting tool.

flyfishmich

Reaction score
I have an L-tech 8wt 9ft 2 pc rod.

i love it. casts great. Actually I was able to learn how to double haul with it.
Handled a very nice King salmon and few nice steelhead in michigan last season.

So, Yes, it is made in china. But for the price it beats the same St Croix at the same price point and the Sage at the same price point.
the warrentee is solid 25 year I believe and if they no longer make the model and you break the rod then you get the equivalent rod to replace. Only bad thing is if it on clearance then you get the clearance rod in return-but its the same rod so is it that big of a deal? To me no. Cuz I like the rod. I paired it up with the RLS4 reel and floating line and a spool for a sink tip line.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Here's some pics from one of my fishing trips last season

iluv2fish

Reaction score
I have been looking at this rod. Would it make a good dry fly and streamer rod for a person fairly new to fly fishing? Looking at getting the 9' 6wt.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Addni, if I recall you posted in another thread that you're located in Iceland? I don't know how Cabela's is with regard to warranty outside the US, but the lack of a reel seat insert/an exposed blank beneath the grip is kind of scary if warranty issues arise. As far as performance, I'm sure the reviews above hit the nail on the head! I'll trade you my Allen Xa 6wt for some Atlantic salmon fishing in your area though!

khende

Reaction score
I do not have this particular rod but I have had three other Cabela' rods and still have two. I have a 5 and a 7 LST. I also have a Winston 5 wt and an Orvis 3wt and as far as performace goes I do not see a significant differance. I have asked very experienced guides as to what is the importance of rods lines and reels in terms of cost and efficiency It has always been leaders, line, rod, reel. I have 7 fly rods including Winston, Orvis TFO and Cabela's. The high end Cablea's rods represent a significant value and very little if any drop in performace.

Walter1023

Reaction score
Well I received and lawn tested my 9' 4 wt L-tech and do not have any complaints. its light - casts very well and Ii actually kind of like the fact that the real seat is exposed. Considering i paid less than $140 for it on sale I'd have to agree that no other rod in this price range can touch it...I'd say that even at the retail price of $220. In any case...my real test will be when I get it onto a nice river and target some rising trout.

iluv2fish

Reaction score
Well I received and lawn tested my 9' 4 wt L-tech and do not have any complaints. its light - casts very well and Ii actually kind of like the fact that the real seat is exposed. Considering i paid less than $140 for it on sale I'd have to agree that no other rod in this price range can touch it...I'd say that even at the retail price of $220. In any case...my real test will be when I get it onto a nice river and target some rising trout.
what kind of tube or case did it come in? was it just a tube or was it a reel on case?

Walter1023

Reaction score
I'd like to add an addendum: I took the rod out on the river this evening and I like it even more than when I lawn casted it. It may become my go to dry fly rod when wind is not an issue I also had a pretty nice evening landing quite a few browns on sulpher dries.

It comes with a black cordura rod tube and a rod sock. no reel tube accomodation.

addni

Reaction score
@gatortransplant It sure is a tempting offer, sake for the fact that it is become somewhat expensive up here in Iceland. I try to go myself 1-2 times a season, and my middle-class salary affords my on either end of the season, but peak-time is nowadays priced only for those who really dont care what they spend money on.

I can however say that it is fantastic, and the scenerey does not hurt either :)