Reviews of cheap rods?

pete a

Reaction score
My sons love to fly fish. My oldest is pretty darn good. His younger brother has a way to go. We have good to better rigs for them.

Deal is I'm from family of 9 (7 boys) and wife from 5 (3 boys), thus my sons have beau coup cousins. Many fish with us and would like to try flyfishing. However have widely varying skill sets and regard for proper care of tackle. For spinning, casting rods there are very credible choices at $20-30 without reel (I got a pile of cheap fly reels).

I don't want to put $$$ rods in their hands so looking at the bottom end of the spectrum.

Pete A.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I will second the eagle claw fly rods. I got one as a freebie and its awesome. it throws a 3wt line brilliantly. They can be had for at or less then 20 bucks. Plus they are fiberglass which is cool to cast and bright yellow, so maybe appeals to the kids better

pete a

Reaction score
You guys are "enablers" for sure. I'm going to order 2 of the 6'-6" 4-5wts. Will be fun, one of brothers has a lake full of suicidal brim near Livingston, TX.

Knowing me I'll like these rods too much to lend to the kids and I'll have to find something else for them. Addiction is sweet.

Pete A.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Cabela's Three Forks rod is amazingly good for a cheap rod. No exageration. They are pretty darned good.

Cabela's: Cabela's Three Forks Fly Rods

Unfortunately, I talked to Cabela's and they are backordered on them, so there are only a few models available right now.
Many of you know what my Canadian friend has done with them. He has cracked the 130' mark casting one of them. :eek:

wishiniwerfishin

Reaction score
Cabela's Three Forks rod is amazingly good for a cheap rod. No exageration. They are pretty darned good.

Cabela's: Cabela's Three Forks Fly Rods

Unfortunately, I talked to Cabela's and they are backordered on them, so there are only a few models available right now.
Many of you know what my Canadian friend has done with them. He has cracked the 130' mark casting one of them. :eek:
Thats the route I'd go if I was looking for a good cheap rod.... I never realy cared for the eagle claw rods.

db cooper

Reaction score
Im in the Three Forks school as well. The three forks rods are just as nice as many in the $250+ price range. The glass Eagle Claw is a nitch rod and not at all what i would recommend for a beginner...and i like the yellow glass things.

wabi

Reaction score
The Eagle Claw rods have some inexpensive hardware (cork & guides), but the rod itself is great for the money. I actually have a few Eagle Claw Featherlites I use when kayaking and may take a dunking. ;)
Like most glass rods they will handle a range of line weights (I often use up to 2 weights under the rod rating) or in the case of the Featherlite 4/5 a 3,4,or 5 weight line depending on what conditions are.

Another good inexpensive rod is Scientific Anglers.

pete a

Reaction score
Have to watch it as it seems an esclating price discussion develops when trying to stay cheap ($100 rod and then reeel/line then I'm at $200/kit). If the Eagle Claws are a compromise, so be it. My brothers can make the next step up the $$ ladder if nephews/nieces show more interest.

Pete A.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
Just won a "Rogue" fly rod on ebay for a few bucks more then I was planning on.
Does anyone have any experience with these budget fly rods?