Payne Split Bamboo Rod

quartertyme

Reaction score
I have a Payne rod which I think is a 4# that was purchased at Abercrombies in the 60's prior to their closing......the rod is delaminating and I am looking for recommendations of a top notch rod repair shop with good references and quality work.........appreciate any help I can get.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

When you say 'de-laminating', do you mean that the splines are coming apart or that the finish is coming off the rod shafts? In either case I would simply Goggle 'Bamboo Rod Builder' and begin contacting people who are currently in the business and ask if they will help you out.

Ard

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Bill Alley, the founder of Diamondback, bought the Payne name and shop equipment back in the 1980's and eventually sold them to a rod builder named Dave Holloman, who is building Payne rods under the Payne name again. I'll bet Holloman would be willing to restore an original Payne and know how to do it right. His website is here: E.F. Payne Home Page

golfnfish

Reaction score
You might find it useful to also inquire on The Classic Fly Rod Forum. It would be hard to find a group more knowledgeable on cane rods than that group. Several members do restoration work and I'm sure you will receive some excellent recommendations for someone that can do an expert repair of your Payne.

quartertyme

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the responses........all very helpful and I appreciate them very much....will proceed on some of these discussions immediately...sorry to be so long getting back, but didn't receive any notices that I had had a response.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I think the "new" Payne Co. would be worth checking out and you might speak with Glenn Bracket at Sweetgrass Rods too. Glenn is a master and if unavailable for this task would know a good resource for you to contact.

tennessee dave

Reaction score
I think the "new" Payne Co. would be worth checking out and you might speak with Glenn Bracket at Sweetgrass Rods too. Glenn is a master and if unavailable for this task would know a good resource for you to contact.
Yep. Great advice. If Glenn won't do it then he will surely recommend the right guy to you.

wjc

Reaction score
I would give Bob Taylor a call from the Boston area. He worked for Leonard for years and started his own company after the IRS shut down Leonard.

I have a Leonard made by Bob and the workmanship is gorgeous. I don't know if he will do it, but given that it's a 60's era Jim Payne, he might.

Jim Payne died around '65, and most of the rods made during the 60's were made by him personally. That means something to a man like Bob Taylor - but it wont be cheap.

Which model Paine do you have?

http://www.codella.com/bamboo/Taylor.htm