Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Payne Split Bamboo Rod

1. Default Payne Split Bamboo Rod

I have a Payne rod which I think is a 4# that was purchased at Abercrombies in the 60's prior to their closing......the rod is delaminating and I am looking for recommendations of a top notch rod repair shop with good references and quality work.........appreciate any help I can get.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Payne Split Bamboo Rod

Hi,

When you say 'de-laminating', do you mean that the splines are coming apart or that the finish is coming off the rod shafts? In either case I would simply Goggle 'Bamboo Rod Builder' and begin contacting people who are currently in the business and ask if they will help you out.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

As Ard said a google search will pull up a bunch of links, I would becareful whom you choose with a Payne. I think South Creek LTD. does repairs and I'd imagine he is highly regarded.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Bill Alley, the founder of Diamondback, bought the Payne name and shop equipment back in the 1980's and eventually sold them to a rod builder named Dave Holloman, who is building Payne rods under the Payne name again. I'll bet Holloman would be willing to restore an original Payne and know how to do it right. His website is here: E.F. Payne Home Page

5. Likes Rip Tide, fredaevans liked this post

You might find it useful to also inquire on The Classic Fly Rod Forum. It would be hard to find a group more knowledgeable on cane rods than that group. Several members do restoration work and I'm sure you will receive some excellent recommendations for someone that can do an expert repair of your Payne.

7. Likes williamhj liked this post
  8. Default Re: Payne Split Bamboo Rod

Thanks very much for the responses........all very helpful and I appreciate them very much....will proceed on some of these discussions immediately...sorry to be so long getting back, but didn't receive any notices that I had had a response.

I think the "new" Payne Co. would be worth checking out and you might speak with Glenn Bracket at Sweetgrass Rods too. Glenn is a master and if unavailable for this task would know a good resource for you to contact.

10. Likes tennessee dave liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I think the "new" Payne Co. would be worth checking out and you might speak with Glenn Bracket at Sweetgrass Rods too. Glenn is a master and if unavailable for this task would know a good resource for you to contact.
    Yep. Great advice. If Glenn won't do it then he will surely recommend the right guy to you.

I would give Bob Taylor a call from the Boston area. He worked for Leonard for years and started his own company after the IRS shut down Leonard.

I have a Leonard made by Bob and the workmanship is gorgeous. I don't know if he will do it, but given that it's a 60's era Jim Payne, he might.

Jim Payne died around '65, and most of the rods made during the 60's were made by him personally. That means something to a man like Bob Taylor - but it wont be cheap.

Which model Paine do you have?

http://www.codella.com/bamboo/Taylor.htm
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim