My rod broke!

angelo1987

Reaction score
Here in southern NJ We had a bad storm where I was out of electric for a week, It happend about 2weeks ago. So I was taking out my rod that was in my car and the wind was so bad during the storm pushing 90mph it was too much the car door slammed into my rod breaking 3piece. Sent it to Orvis repair shop and finally they sent me a email stating that they are unable to fix it. They are going to send me the New Clearwater Rod. :( ....I will never make that dumb mistake again.

romanl

Reaction score
Here in southern NJ We had a bad storm where I was out of electric for a week, It happend about 2weeks ago. So I was taking out my rod that was in my car and the wind was so bad during the storm pushing 90mph it was too much the car door slammed into my rod breaking 3piece. Sent it to Orvis repair shop and finally they sent me a email stating that they are unable to fix it. They are going to send me the New Clearwater Rod. :( ....I will never make that dumb mistake again.
and what was the rod that you broke? another clearwater?
in which case i assume you paid basic $30 for warranty, and update to new rod, sounds like a good deal??
i got my first rod lil over month ago and its Clearwater 905-4 and i love it

williamhj

Reaction score
I've broken three rods, all three I'd built. Two were at the tip and one was a faulty blank (bottom section shattered when the rod loaded) so got that replaced but needed to rebuild. That's the downside of building your own rods. My brother's broken his Ross 4 times now. Each time they've replaced it for a small fee, this last time he decided to upgrade for a small additional fee. Still built my own though. I guess the real dumb one in the family is me, since I lend him a rod whenever he breaks his, how long till he breaks mine? :rolleyes:

ghocevar

Reaction score
I once had a clearwater that I ran over with my Jeep. It was my first rod and they sent me a brand new one. I was happy. It now hangs on my 2yr old son's wall. He is happy.

Orvis is very good about repairs and replacements and getting them back to you quickly They usually keep spare blanks around for their older generation rods, and if they run out, they send you a new updated rod. That sounds like the case this time.

I think you'll be happier with the updated version.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Angelo,

The lesson to take from this is that rods (regardless of their cost) that are not transported in the protective tubes will be broken. On the 'Broken Rod' Poll thread only one rod was broken while in its tube. That rod belonged to Marco, (SwirlChaser) who was T - Boned at an intersection and his TFO rod was crushed by the impact. Other than isolated incidents like that tubes do a splendid job of protecting the rods.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you and I know how time can drag along when you are waiting for something as important as your fly rod to arrive in the mail. Please consider keeping your new rod in the tube whenever it is not in use and this may be the last time you have to deal with this.

Ard

angelo1987

Reaction score
I'm confused...you're upset that you broke your clearwater and that Orvis is sending you a brand new one?

Yes I'am upset I have not fly fished since, I had been home. But glad that they are sending me a new rod. Just got off the phone with Orvis they sent out my new rod today I should be at my house in 5-7 business days. I can't wait but now time will go slow.

mrfzx

Reaction score
As good a reason as any to buy MORE!!!!! Find what you like and stock up, sure enough they'll quit making it.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Unless I'm fishing Dismal Creek on the Jefferson National Forest,,5 min drive from the house till I'm stepping in the water,,, I take a back up rod. I've never broken a fly rod,,but I know it's coming (knock on wood.) Like the one guy said,,,rod tubes are your friend. End of day,,I try to break the rod down and 'tube' it before I get involved with anything else. And, I put the rod together last thing before I leave the vehicle TO fish. It's easy for a guy,,esp when in company of fishing buds, to get distracted. I did trip, stumble along, fall and break a St. Croix 9' float and fly special' rod. :( I think that is the last time I had tears in my eyes. The folks at St Croix are champs at taking care of ya. But still,,,,it hurts LOL

Fly rods are such petite , graceful things,,,,I just know my turn is coming.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I never go without 2 of each rod I might fish. My buddy used to always say "where is your back up", and would tell me nothing worse than a 2hr drive to not be able to fish from busting a rod. I went , fell and broke my rod. Luckily I was crossing the river to leave when I fell.

I dont go without at least 2 3wt's and 2 4wt's and usually bring the 1wt too.

romanl

Reaction score
4 to 5 rods?? seems a little like overkill

me i only have 1 rod , so for now thats all i bring.
but hopefully ill expand my quiver soon :exercise:

comeonavs

Reaction score
4 to 5 rods?? seems a little like overkill

me i only have 1 rod , so for now thats all i bring.
but hopefully ill expand my quiver soon :exercise:
Seems like alot but it isnt really, I have to drive up one of two drainages to get to where I usually go and sometimes I dont make it all the way so

1Wt if I make it all the way and there is no wind

3wt for dries
3wt for dry/dropper
4wt in case the wind is blowing
9' 4wt in case Idont make it all the way to the final destination and i end up on a tad bigger water.

romanl

Reaction score
i guess if you keep it in the car and park close to where u fish then its all good.
but if you have to hike far, 2 rods would be the most i bring

Rip Tide

Reaction score
If I'm gong on a fishing trip I'll take 4 or 5 rods. If I'll be fishing just for the day, I'll take 2. The one I plan on using and a spare.
You can do a lot of damage in a week. Between my fishing partner and I we always seem to break at least one rod when we go on an extended fishing trip and one trip a couple of years ago we broke 3
:secret:
Over time we've broken so many rods that a while back we started bringing what Lefty calls an "eventuals" kit (eventually you're going to need it ;) ) containing an assortment of tip-tops, some tip-top cement, snake guides, rod thread on a bobbin, epoxy, some "reel sized" screw drivers, and a bottle of "Sally's". It's come in handy more than once.

angelo1987

Reaction score
4 or 5 rods? Wow guys! I'am serious about fly fishing but I'am on a very strick income paying 2 car payment's, mortage, it's very hard. But guy's I finally received my new clearwater rod. I didn't have much time to admire the rod but the 1st thing I notice was the rod tube since it's a 4-piece rod the tube was tiny compared to my 2-piece. At 1st glance the rod isn't pretty personally it's a nasty green. I have not try out the rod today too windy here and thunderstorms and roaring in. I'am still a novice on fly rods but I'll try and give a better report on how the rod perform's. Sorry guy's really don't have time to type everything that I wanted to say.

comeonavs

Reaction score
i guess if you keep it in the car and park close to where u fish then its all good.
but if you have to hike far, 2 rods would be the most i bring
Think of it this way I do take 2 rods.....2 rods for each spot / wind conditions :D

My favorite was one day my buddy picks me up at 4AM I load up and look in the back seat of his truck......9 rods, I asked what in the heck (but I had 5) and he laughed we were on a 3hr road trip to Wyoming and he laughed saying there is everything from small creeks to big rivers along our route and you just never know.

We still laugh about the 9 rod trip