Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sage Flight and Vantage Being Discontinued

[QUOTE=winxp_man;475017]Ok it has the same technology is what the person said. Here is the link

I spoke to a technical person at the SAGE company today and he informed me the Z axis and the Flight are vastly different technologies. They do not have the same tapers and have different scrim materials. He stated that the Z axis is definitely more sensitive and precise at all casting lengths as compared to the Flight. Therefore, the Z axis was also more expensive as compared to the Flight. The Flight is a refined version of the old RPL + rods (similar tapers but updated ferrule design etc for lighter weight).
    Also, between the Launch and the Flight, he recommended the Flight since it has better materials and tapers.
    It was interesting that the final advice he gave me was to cast the rods before making a decision & choosing the rod that matched my casting stroke. It was refreshing to hear a company rep advocating this instead of pushing the more expensive option.

2. Likes jaybo41 liked this post

Im going to see if I cant get my local guy to give me that kind of price on the vantage. I have the 8wt and really like it. My current 3wt is a 2 piece, a 4 would be sweeeet
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Blog Entries

[quote=mysticm;475061]
    Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    Ok it has the same technology is what the person said. Here is the link

I spoke to a technical person at the SAGE company today and he informed me the Z axis and the Flight are vastly different technologies. They do not have the same tapers and have different scrim materials. He stated that the Z axis is definitely more sensitive and precise at all casting lengths as compared to the Flight. Therefore, the Z axis was also more expensive as compared to the Flight. The Flight is a refined version of the old RPL + rods (similar tapers but updated ferrule design etc for lighter weight).
    Also, between the Launch and the Flight, he recommended the Flight since it has better materials and tapers.
    It was interesting that the final advice he gave me was to cast the rods before making a decision & choosing the rod that matched my casting stroke. It was refreshing to hear a company rep advocating this instead of pushing the more expensive option.
    Nice work going right to the source. I had a hard time believing they were basically the same rod given the difference in price but couldn't pinpoint the differences. I've heard good things about the Flight for the price point but I'll stick with my Z's. As you pointed out, great to hear that they recommended casting the rods to see what you liked best.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Thanks for the info. I was just talking about what I read. I haven't casted a Z so I could not say its my experience. I'm looking forward to my 5 wt Flight and 8 wt flight though

[quote=mysticm;475061]
    Ok it has the same technology is what the person said. Here is the link

Blog Entries

[quote=winxp_man;475105]Thanks for the info. I was just talking about what I read. I haven't casted a Z so I could not say its my experience. I'm looking forward to my 5 wt Flight and 8 wt flight though

Congratulations on your purchases, hopefully they land you lots of fish and give you plenty of good times on the water. Understand what you meant I went back to read the post and it certainly read that way. Kudos to mysticm for clearing it up for the group by going right to the source of info.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

local guy gave me one better on the price. Plus I cleared out his selection of 7' 3wt Vantage rods. hehehe.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

[quote=jaybo41;475188]
    Thanks for the info. I was just talking about what I read. I haven't casted a Z so I could not say its my experience. I'm looking forward to my 5 wt Flight and 8 wt flight though

Congratulations on your purchases, hopefully they land you lots of fish and give you plenty of good times on the water. Understand what you meant I went back to read the post and it certainly read that way. Kudos to mysticm for clearing it up for the group by going right to the source of info.

Well next week I plan a Striper trip with the 8wt cant wait and thanks!

Yes they sure will catch me lots of fish!

Thanks, the Blue Quill Angler guys are great. I ordered a bunch of flies from them once and they were out of stock on a couple. They actually credited my card and gave me the flies for free when they eventually came in. Thus, I am a loyal customer.

Let me say first off that I am a relative novice at this. I only have about 2 years under my belt.
    That said I have a sage Flight (9ft 8wt) that is my rod I use almost exclusively for all my fishing so far. I also have a Vantage in 5wt that I rarely use, and I have a 9ft 9wt Z axis. I love the Flight and Vantage. I am struggling with the Z Axis. I find it is much harder to cast with. I can cast the Flight very well and and can fling a popper 60-70ft without too much effort. Have done a couple of 2 day guided trips where I was casting pretty much for 9-10 hours straight with only a break for lunch. I have tried the Z-Axis a couple of times using the same flies I use on the flight and I find it has less "feel". I am sure its me for the most part as I have had others (with lots more talent than I'll ever have I am sure) use the rod and their only comment was the line seems a little "sticky". I have been working on casting the Z axis and I'm getting better at it. Maybe at some point I'll be more comfortable with it. I even broke out some really old Fenwick fiberglass rods I had and I can cast those better than the Z axis. Altho I find them too soft. So far the Flight is the best rod I have according to my abilities.

11. Likes pete a liked this post

Klunker, thanks for sharing your experience. Based on the comment that the z axis felt sticky, what line do you have on the z?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast