Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I got a ZXL today...

Default I got a ZXL today...

I got my Sage ZXL today, 590-4 on closeout, $435 delivered to the door. I would not have paid the list price of nearly $700 for this but given they are discontinued and on sale I decided to go for it. I just came in from lawn casting it. Alas, a rod I can actually "feel load with Rio Gold" (hey that rhymes). What a great addition, super light, and seems very accurate within the 35 ft strike zone. It casts better out farther too than I thought it would. This should work well for dry flies around here and even small nymph rigs. The 5 wt should also give it a bit more flexibility on some of the bigger waters too. I love the medium action of this rod and it seems to fit my casting style better than anything I've tried to date. It feels very similar to the more expensive Winston BIIIX in tempo and feel. Can't wait to get it on the water.

Beautiful rod too, the pomegranate color of the rod and case is cool. Maybe this will be the keeper rod that I never replace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I got a ZXL today...

Enjoy your new rod.

That's a great rod! Congrats, and enjoy your new purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
    This should work well for dry flies around here and even small nymph rigs.
    You can absolutely nymph with a ZXL 590. You can throw streamers as well although The ZXL would not be my choice for pounding large streamers all day long. Point is, this rod is very versitle.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
    Mike

I got one of those as part of the TU life membership a few years ago. Very nice rod. Great trout rod.

Blog Entries

I just purchased a used Sage ZXL tonight. Factory demonstrator and it looks absolutely brand new. Beautiful rod. It is 486-4. I think that it will be perfect for the Driftless area and Colorado as long as i learn how to use it?! Patience and practice. Thanks for all of your sharing and i am happy that you like your new rod..the simple pleasures in life keep us going. Dan

7. Likes chi flyfisher liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vango View Post
    I just purchased a used Sage ZXL tonight. Factory demonstrator and it looks absolutely brand new. Beautiful rod. It is 486-4. I think that it will be perfect for the Driftless area and Colorado as long as i learn how to use it?! Patience and practice. Thanks for all of your sharing and i am happy that you like your new rod..the simple pleasures in life keep us going. Dan
    Can't speak to Colorado but you got a perfect Driftless rod. Ask Chi flyfisher what he thinks about his Nobody could get him to part with it.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

9. Likes chi flyfisher liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
    I got my Sage ZXL today, 590-4 on closeout, $435 delivered to the door. I would not have paid the list price of nearly $700 for this but given they are discontinued and on sale I decided to go for it. I just came in from lawn casting it. Alas, a rod I can actually "feel load with Rio Gold" (hey that rhymes). What a great addition, super light, and seems very accurate within the 35 ft strike zone. It casts better out farther too than I thought it would. This should work well for dry flies around here and even small nymph rigs. The 5 wt should also give it a bit more flexibility on some of the bigger waters too. I love the medium action of this rod and it seems to fit my casting style better than anything I've tried to date. It feels very similar to the more expensive Winston BIIIX in tempo and feel. Can't wait to get it on the water.

Beautiful rod too, the pomegranate color of the rod and case is cool. Maybe this will be the keeper rod that I never replace.
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the rod? My dad just broke his custom SP, and feels it was a sign that he should get a new rod (as if a 78-yr-old man who's been fly fishing for over 65 yrs. needs an excuse to treat himself to a new stick). I've cast one of these before, and I think it would be great for him... And after buying custom for awhile he refuses to pay retail (and won't buy used on ebay or get on here like I will)

Thanks!