The 2-Piece Sage RPL, 9 wt, And My Concerns

fivefingers

Reaction score
I've been using my dad's old Fenwick 6wt fiberglass rod with a pfleuger medalist reel (I only use the most cutting-edge stuff) to fish stripers in the American River (I'm in California). Admittedly, I know that anything beyond schoolies this setup is a bit under-classed. Recently I went into a local fly shop recently for some tackle and, after discussing with one of the employees about my possibilities of upgrading to a steelhead/striper/black bass setup, he offered his used Sage RPL for a steal-of-a-deal at $75. It's a 9' 2 piece model, which I have read on these boards is a great rod and I'm in no way concerned about it being a bad rod by any means. What I'm more concerned about is that I'd be paying $75 (which I think is a great deal) for an older rod, which could do the trick, but I have been budgeting to spend about $500 (too much?) on a rod/reel/line allwater(ish) setup. I'd like to use it on saltwater if given the opportunity, but 90% of its life I'd imagine would be spent on fresh. Browsing the boards showed the TFO BVK and the ROSS CLA have been tried-and-true gear.

I'm still a novice at the sport - I've only been fly fishing for a few months. So with that said, I don't think I need my first purchase to be the Ferrari of rod+reel setups, but I'd still like something that I can use, hopefully, for a lifetime! I have also considered that 9 wt might be a tad bit on the large size for lakes for black bass, where an 8wt might be a better setup. Then again, at the price of $75, at the advice of you guys I wouldn't have an issue of just having the rod to own, if it's built to last, for training purposes with larger weight rods and to have as a backup down the road.

gjcordray

Reaction score
I have a good friend who just replaced his RPL 2 piece with a Sage One. He has landed lots of fish on that rod and really only upgraded because he just wanted something new. Unless it has some major defect in it, I would have no problem fishing an RPL if it cost me $75. IF nothing else, it would make a great backup rod, like you said.

But... I am a gear junkie!

wishiniwerfishin

Reaction score
I'd buy it.... I fish a 10wt RPL 2 piece right next to my Scott S4s 10wt and like fishing both equally as much. The only downfall is it's a 2 piece but if your not going to be flying with it I see no problem with it.

kayo

Reaction score
That's a classic Ferrari, It's a RPL [poke] for 75 depending on its shape, excellent buy.

fivefingers

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input. I've been erring on the side of bringing the cash with me when I look at it next week (when I meet with the guy, and practice some casting on it), but I think what has been concerning me is that I've heard carbon fiber rods can get microscopic flaws through use and one day - blamo - the thing snaps in half. Given it's a 20 year old rod (I'd imagine), he may have the best intentions of selling me a well-kept and great rod that just might have an imperfection from use.

I guess that's a risk to take when getting used equipment, rods especially.

What kind of reel do you have seated on your rod, wishiniwerfishin?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
At $75 bucks you can hardly go wrong. Classic Sage rod.

Give the rod a good looking over, check the wraps, look for splits or damage at the joint, and make sure the reel seat is still tight and has no wiggle.

Be sure and post some pics if you pick 'er up.:)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The guys commented on the $75 rod. I'll comment on the 8 vs 9 weight debate.

Here's what to think of.
  1. If you just want a stick for black bass or river Stripers, all you really need is an 8 weight.
  2. If you plan on fishing for Stripers in the open waters of the Delta, go with a 9 weight. It will give you some punch when the wind picks up.
  3. If you want to add King Salmon to the mix, get a 9 weight for the extra backbone.

Dennis

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The RPL was "best in class" in its day and still a fine rod. Buy it, fish it, and you will learn a lot about what your next fly rod need will be. It was designed by the same team that your older Fenwick came from.

fivefingers

Reaction score
Well, alright! You guys have me convinced. I'll look it over Monday for flaws that might be potentially "rod-breaking", and if it seems to be in good shape I'll take it home with me.

Any suggestions on a good reel to outfit it with? I was thinking of maybe a Lamson Konic or a Ross CLA. I'd plan on getting a 7-9 wt reel so that I could use it interchangeably on other rods (especially an 8wt rod that I'd fish stripers/bass/steelhead with) that I'll pick up down the road.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Well, alright! You guys have me convinced. I'll look it over Monday for flaws that might be potentially "rod-breaking", and if it seems to be in good shape I'll take it home with me.

Any suggestions on a good reel to outfit it with? I was thinking of maybe a Lamson Konic or a Ross CLA. I'd plan on getting a 7-9 wt reel so that I could use it interchangeably on other rods (especially an 8wt rod that I'd fish stripers/bass/steelhead with) that I'll pick up down the road.
I wouldn't put a Konic on that classic Sage. But that's just me :cool:

fyshstykr

Reaction score
A classic Lamson LP3 would look dandy!
Lamson LP 3 Fly Reel | eBay

They are no longer made(just like the RPL) but they are a great reel overall, and if you happen to have any problems you can have it taken care of @ Archuletta's reel Works.

I have 4 of the LP reels in various sizes and love each of them as if they were my children.:)

Last edited:

fivefingers

Reaction score
@ John - Thanks! I'll read into it. I've read that Lamson is a solid reel manufacturer.

I wouldn't put a Konic on that classic Sage. But that's just me :cool:
In that the reel would outclass the rod, or the rod outclasses the reel, or that the two wouldn't mix well?

I don't entirely follow.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
@ John - Thanks! I'll read into it. I've read that Lamson is a solid reel manufacturer.

In that the reel would outclass the rod, or the rod outclasses the reel, or that the two wouldn't mix well?

I don't entirely follow.
Personally, I don't like the look of a Lamson - and I own a Velocity 3.5 which I use on a Loomis GLX Native Run 8 wt with Rio Steelhead taper line. I would want something a little more classic looking on an older Sage stick.

Would it work, sure. It just would not be my choice.

From a performance perspective, I'm no expert on Lamson reels. I've landed plenty of Steelhead and Salmon with mine.

fivefingers

Reaction score
I was considering getting a new Ross CLA 4 off ebay for the rod. Forgive my naivety if I'm going overboard, but I was considering a newer reel for the drag technology and for the warranty. My concern with a Lamson 3 or 3.5 is while reading about them I discovered their discs wear out and require third-party maintenance because Waterworks no longer repairs them and I'd like to avoid unnecessary repair costs.

In an idealized sense I think it would be a neat 'vintage' setup to have both rod and reel in the same era, but I'm purely considering the Sage because it's a solidly performing rod which can last me a lifetime with little to no repair costs. I would imagine a reel you can use interchangeably on rods, such that if I got a newer rod down the road (like a nice 8wt TFO or some such) I would have no issues using the Ross CLA.

If I'm paying over $100 for a reel, I want something that will last.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
My understanding is that this was a short production span that had the clutch issue, it hasn't stopped me from buying the LP's that I have, because if and when a problem does arise all I need to do is send it to Archuletta for a simple repair.($35.00/$40.00 I believe and that included the reel being cleaned and serviced).

I too was concerned about this at one point until speaking to Mr Archuletta, he assured me that once the clutch was changed out that it would be good to go for the reasonable life of the reel.

Since then I've bought 3 more used LP's off of ebay and still haven't one fail. If I had the available funds right now I'd pick that one up. It sure would look good on that RPL.

winxp_man

Reaction score
You will not regret buying the rod @ $75!

I have a friend that has one and uses it on salmon with ease. I have spent some time casting and and its really nice for how old it is.

Like everyone stated make sure to look over the rod for usage.

For reel I just saw a on some web site I tried looking back to find it and can't. But they were selling the Lamson Konic 3.5 for like 89 bucks I think. You cant go wrong with a Lamson though.

fivefingers

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm probably going to walk away with the rod on Monday if it's in good condition and I can figure out my reel dilemma. I'd like a used reel, ideally, to outfit the rod since it's not brand new technology itself, but I feel like I'm buying a mystery box with an old reel on ebay - especially with those LP 3's. I think my plan-of-attack is to go in Monday and just ask the guy what reel he outfitted his with, and if there's a chance he'd part with the reel as well.

fivefingers

Reaction score
Just an update for any of you who were interested in this thread....

I went in today to look at the rod. It was a beauty for sure, it cast like a charm and I was set to buy it however when looking over it with a magnifying glass the tip end of the rod had a hairline fracture between two of the guides and I didn't want to risk purchasing it. Sadness.

However, I know what I want now. I got to casting some rods and looked through some reels and found my match made in heaven- The Sage Response #8 and the Waterworks Lightspeed 3.5. I just want to sleep on it before I go pick the setup, up, but I'm 95% sure it's going to be my new Steelhead/Striper/Bonefish rig.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
That's too bad... I recently had a similar experience when looking into a used rod. There was a small imperfection in the blank just below where the top two pieces came together. Could have been an errant fly but I was not going to risk it and passed on the rod. I know the feeling.

I don't know much about the rod you're looking at but wish you well with it. New stick gives you the warranty. Can't beat that piece of mind.

Cheers,
Mike.