Fast(er) action 6wt for someone who fishes med-fast rods

fireroad

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a 9ft 6wt in the near future and would like some input(personal opinions) on fast-ish action rods. My current go to rod is a 9ft 5wt Scott A3. I am looking for a 6wt with a little more power and distance to fish medium to large rivers on windy days and lakes (from the shore) on average days. I would be targeting trout and be using nymphs, dry-droppers, hopper-droppers and small to medium sized streamers. I am not a very good caster and have found many popular fast action rods stiff or too fast to cast with any finesse or accuracy. Rods I am considering are:

St Croix Legend Elite - Always been a fan of St Croix and their top not customer service. The 5 and 8wt versions of this rod did very well in the Yellowstone Angler shootout.

Winston GVX - 5wt version of rod did really well in the Reds Fly Shop test. Could not find any reviews of the 6wt version and the nearest dealer with one is 5 hrs away.

Scott A4 - Al the reviews I have read say it is faster and has more punch then the A3 it replaced.

Rods I have ruled out are the Sage VXP (too stiff), anything TFO (not impressed with the quality), and the high end Winstons (too expensive).
Have not tried the Sage One yet, but I gather the casting tempo required to make the rod really perform may be too difficult for me.

Basically I want to put together a list of rods worth testing as I have quite a hual to get to a fly shop. Thoughts?

44runner

Reaction score
I would add a Redington CPX (or the Link in the new 2013 line up) to your test list. I have a 5wt 9' CPX that I really like. Great bang for the buck too.

mysticm

Reaction score
A couple of med-fast to fast action rods with great feel to consider are:

1) Redington CPS, 9ft 6wt (very nice action but the cork grip did not fit my hand)
2) Loomis Streamdance GLX, 9ft 6wt (my all time favorite 6wt, I have yet to cast another 6wt as far easily or as effectively into a stiff wind)
3) The Sage Z axis, 9ft 6wt: All time great rod, albeit may be a bit more than what you are budgeting. Plus it is tough to find a new one since it was discontinued.

To throw another one into the mix would be the Sage ZXL 9ft 6wt. This is the one I ended up purchasing during my quest for a general do it all 6wt. I have fished it twice since I got it and it is really close to the Z axis in terms of ease of booming out long casts but has significantly better feel to the z axis (in my humble opinion :) )

Regards.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
How about a custom built 6wt? I have been putting one through hell for the past few weeks and absolutely love it. It's fast and powerful without being too fast.

Has no problem casting 1/0 deer hair poppers with moderate wind and absolutely no problem with #4 - 8 clousers and a sink tip.

The blank is an MHX. 9' 4pc 6wt....around the $200 mark. PM me if you want info on the builder.

Here a few pics of fish I've landed with it so far

44runner

Reaction score
I have heard good things about the Loop Evotec but I have never seen one, must less gotten to sling one. No shops I have been to carry Loop stuff. If they have one for you to try let us know what you think.

fireroad

Reaction score
1) Redington CPS, 9ft 6wt (very nice action but the cork grip did not fit my hand)

I did try the CPX and thought it was quite stiff had a rather heavy swing weight...not something I would want to fish for 4 hrs straight.

2) Loomis Streamdance GLX, 9ft 6wt (my all time favorite 6wt, I have yet to cast another 6wt as far easily or as effectively into a stiff wind)
Would love a Streamdance! Have been puting off casting one for that reason...afraid to fall in love with a rod that I am not willing to spend that kind of money on...ditto for the upper end winstons. While I can afford it it I just can bring myself to spend over $400 on a rod

3) The Sage Z axis, 9ft 6wt: All time great rod, albeit may be a bit more than what you are budgeting. Plus it is tough to find a new one since it was discontinued.

Wish I would have grabbed a Z axis when they were being closed out, I like my buddies but the used ones are going for ridiculous amounts of money:(
No Loop dealers anywhere near me that I know of. I have though about going custom as my buddy is a rod builder...but this is the first I have heard of MHX. How about a review of the MHX rod you had built?

Has anyone fished the GVX?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too aquired a 9'/#6 this past spring for some the same reasons as you expressed. The above recomendations of G.Loomis StreamDance HLS and Z-Axis if you can find one on close-out are are booth top notch. I will add the one I went with, Rajeff's Sports ECHO3. It is a mid priced rod that fishes like a premium rod. It has tons of power in its medium-fast action, generates easy distance casting but is forgiving to cast and is well appointed and good looking. Rajeff Sports is a hip company and fun to deal with and they are the US distributers of UK made Airflo Lines which are a great match for this $350 rod.

mikel

Reaction score
Rajeff Sports is a hip company and fun to deal with
+1 on Rajeff's company. I have the discontinued Echo Classic in 6 wt and it's a fine rod, especially at the price...and the other Echo products I've fished have been solid value rods. Called their office once with a question and ended up with Tim on the phone helping me...

fireroad

Reaction score
I too aquired a 9'/#6 this past spring for some the same reasons as you expressed. The above recomendations of G.Loomis StreamDance HLS and Z-Axis if you can find one on close-out are are booth top notch. I will add the one I went with, Rajeff's Sports ECHO3. It is a mid priced rod that fishes like a premium rod. It has tons of power in its medium-fast action, generates easy distance casting but is forgiving to cast and is well appointed and good looking. Rajeff Sports is a hip company and fun to deal with and they are the US distributers of UK made Airflo Lines which are a great match for this $350 rod.
Funny that you mentioned the Streamdance and Echo 3, I talked to a shop earlier today and they said the same thing. I described the rod I was looking for and asked them if the GVX would fit the bill. The particular salesperson I talked to didn't seem to have to much experience with the GVX, but had good things to say about the Streamdance and Echo 3. They actually fish and prefer the Echo 3 over the Streamdance... and went on to say what a great company Echo was. Sounds like I should put in the extra effort to find an Echo dealer nearby...or take advantage of free Cabelas' shipping:D

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I absolutely love my 9' 6wt Z-axis. I got the blank on discount off of Sierra trading post's already discounted prices and used the savings to build it with Fuji SiC strippers and Recoil snakes and tiptop. It's an awesome rod that casts and fishes like a dream. I dunno what's being asked for them, but I have a hard time thinking of how a 6wt rod could be better (for me).

I have also built an 8'6" 4wt on a St. Croix SCV blank (Legend Elite) that I love just as much, so I doubt you'd be disappointed in their 6wt offering.

Good luck! Rod shopping is fun...

addni

Reaction score
I personally love the Sage ONE. It feels stiffer than the VXP, but once u
You get used to it, it absoloutely fires like a rocket and is delicate upon demand. Especially the 6 & 7 wt's are fun and versatile. It's also incredibly precise. If you want delicate work, I would recommend RIO Gold or SA Gpx, and RIO Outbound for distance. I use my 8 WT Sage ONE with Outbound for salmon and that thing fires anything 60-70 feet without a problem.

nickel

Reaction score
I would recommend two rods. G-Loomis streamdance GLX HLS 9' 6wt and St. Croix legend elite 9' 6 wt. These babies are cannons with feel. I would try different lines like Rio gold and Rio grande which is 1/2 line weight heavier or if you prefer sci-angler mastery GPX taper which I believe is 1/2 line weight heavier.

fireroad

Reaction score
@biggie_robs - Did you get a chance to cast the 6wt version of the St. Croix Legend Elite? Thoughts?

@nickel - I've heard nothing but good things about the G. Loomis, although the fighting butt is a turnoff for a 6 weight. I have been avoiding casting the GLX because of the price tag...don't want to fall in love with something I can't afford, or rather not willing to pay that much for. Don't see very many streamdance's on the used market either. Wish G.Loomis sold steamdance blanks, they would be at the top of my list for a build.

nickel

Reaction score
@biggie_robs - Did you get a chance to cast the 6wt version of the St. Croix Legend Elite? Thoughts?

@nickel - I've heard nothing but good things about the G. Loomis, although the fighting butt is a turnoff for a 6 weight. I have been avoiding casting the GLX because of the price tag...don't want to fall in love with something I can't afford, or rather not willing to pay that much for. Don't see very many streamdance's on the used market either. Wish G.Loomis sold steamdance blanks, they would be at the top of my list for a build.
I know it's tough to fork over the cash for high dollar rods. $400 should get you a really good 6wt new or used! The fighting butt on the GLX is really more like an end cap...hardly noticeable. I have heard good things about G-loomis pro 4x rod as well so maybe try that if you can. The legend elite 6wt is also right there close to your price range and definitely worth a look. Coming from a medium/fast casting stroke that I thought you had mentioned previously I think you would like the legends fast action.

mudbug

Reaction score
I'm generally a medium action guy but wanted to step into something faster for throwing streamers and nymph rigs in the wind.

I absolutely love my 6 wt BVK. It's on the medium side of fast with a soft tip (at least compared to the Axium and TICR X).

Vans

Reaction score
I just brought home another Echo rod. This will be my 5th one. This one an 8wt Echo Edge. A Med-Fast action rod. Great rods and company. Pretty hard to argue with the price when you cant justify a high end rod at the time.

missin44

Reaction score
Resently I cast the Sage One, Z-Axis, Winston Boron IIIx & Scott S4 all in 6wt.

All were super nice rods, I liked the Scott and Winston best. Maybe Scott a tad more. I got the Scott S4, I found one on Ebay and got it for $370.

I do think it's important to get the right line matched with these rods. The Scott I cast had Rio Gold. I'm hoping to cast the Rod with the Rio Grand, SA Mastery GPX and SA Sharkskin Magnum. Not sure I'll be able to get it done.

fireroad

Reaction score
Resently I cast the Sage One, Z-Axis, Winston Boron IIIx & Scott S4 all in 6wt.

All were super nice rods, I liked the Scott and Winston best. Maybe Scott a tad more. I got the Scott S4, I found one on Ebay and got it for $370.
Interesting...I would expect these rods to be 3 different beasts, with the Winston and the Scott to be the fartherest apart...the Scott being considered the stiffest and the fastest and the Winston being slower and having greater flex. I'm curious...what is your preferred 5wt?

To complicate matters even more I have a chance to pick up a like new Sage One 9ft 6 wt. Its only been lawn cast but no warranty card (does that really matter with Sage) for $400! Only problem is I can't cast it first and their are other buyers lined up behind me.