8wt rod advice

jborn

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting an 8wt rod for tiger muskie , steelhead and salmon. The steelhead and salmon fishing will occur very seldom as NM doesn’t have any opportunities.

I would appreciate input concerning the Aleka, Echo and Allen rods in 8wt. The Aleka has some special appeal since they are the least expensive of the three series but there are no dealers for any of these rods in ABQ.

thanks

mrfzx

Reaction score
I have 8wt rods from TFO, Orvis, Brown Drake, Cortland, and Loomis, but no experience with the brands you list. I suggest you take a long hard look at the actions of each you wish to purchase. Find a way to test cast them. No matter what we say....casting preferences are as individual as food preferences. Good luck.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Homer makes a good point with regard to testing out the rods. I know that Allen at least has a program where they will send you a rod to test for free and if you like it you pay for it and keep it. So that's always an option.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
+1 for the advice that Homer and AJ has offered. I have never fished for Muskies (it is on my bucket list), but I'm wondering if an 8 wt is going to leave you severely under gunned. I may be wrong, but from what I have heard that a 10 wt is a better fit for that type of fishing.......you need something heavy enough to through those huge flies that look like your casting half a chicken.

Larry

mrfzx

Reaction score
+1 for the advice that Homer and AJ has offered. I have never fished for Muskies (it is on my bucket list), but I'm wondering if an 8 wt is going to leave you severely under gunned. I may be wrong, but from what I have heard that a 10 wt is a better fit for that type of fishing.......you need something heavy enough to through those huge flies that look like your casting half a chicken.

Larry
LOL! Half chicken flies! That is the exact term Lefty called the dark-water Tarpon flies we use in Costa Rica.

pete a

Reaction score
I'd suggest you alos consider the discontinued but very nice Sage Flight. These are still available on sale in the $200-240 range.

Don't do any of the fishing you do so can't comment on it's use there but mine throws bass bugs well. I use it on the always windy Texas gulf coast where it shines. Seldom do I see below 15mph winds in a day of fishing with 20-25 being norm. Have whipped several 24-26" reds with it.

Pete A.

Pocono

Reaction score
The Yellowstone Angler 8 Weight Shoot Out ranks the Redington CPS as the best buy.

I think that the Redington CPS has been replaced by the CPX.

My wife has an 9'0" 8 wt. CPS and I have a 9'0" 8 wt. CPX. They're both great rods and the only 8 wts. that we have/need. We use them for Striper fishing in the salt and for big Smallmouth Bass in the fresh.

In my opinion, Redington makes a really nice rod in CPS/CPX series. Worth a look.

CPX Fly Fishing Rods | Redington Fly Fishing

Pocono

ted4887

Reaction score

Larry

Tiger Muskies, in my experience, are more like pike in the size of fly you can use. Granted, sometimes it's fun to chuck 1/2 a chicken into a bank and see what happens, but with the Tigers you can probably get away with a 1/4 of a chicken.

I would take a good long look at the flies you plan on casting for the musky though. Like Larry said, depending on the size and water shedding that the flies do, it might be worth looking to a 9wt or even higher.

And that CPS rod that Pocono is talking about is a fantastic rod. I've got one in a 5 wt and wouldn't trade it for anything.

civicrr

Reaction score
That was the old 8 weight shootout. Notice there are Sage Xi2 & TCR rods on the chart? Both are discontinued/replaced by newer models as is the Redington CPS which was replaced by the CPX.

The latest 8wt Shootout was in 2011.

Redington has since replaced the CPX with the new 'Link' just recently. The Link reminds me of my NRX. I like it much better than the 8wt BVK which doesn't have the power in the butt of the Link or the NRX. I've been using the Link with Airflo's Sniper 8wt S7 line.

If you do want to buy a CPX, you can find some closeout pricing on them still....

I've also heard good things about the GLoomis Pro4X although I've yet to personally cast one.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The 8-Weight Shootout chart above is the overall scoring which includes price; I find the performance only chart more revealing. This shootout was one of Anderson's best in my opinion because it was a clearly defined apples to apples comparison. If the Redington Link reminds you of your NRX#8, that is high praise indeed. This NRX is my personal favorite flats rod too. In the Links price range, one might cross shop ECHO3, a very good rod price independent. ECHO3 is designed in America but built in Korea, where are the Redington rods made?

civicrr

Reaction score
The Link had a made in China sticker on the bottom of the fighting butt.

The Link has a very similar taper/action as the NRX IMO. It does not have the same amount of power. It does seem to have more power than the BVK as I previously mentioned. I've been using it once or twice a week since I got it approximately a month ago. The cork has held up much, much better than the BVK's did. Please note that all I fish are either heavy shooting heads or integrated shooting head lines for stripers. My sense is that this rod will work nicely when more delicate presentations are required. It has a more 'delicate', easier loading tip than the CPX did.

I'd really, really like to try the GLoomis Pro4X. Since it is made "utilize the tapers & even the tip section is NRX material" (from various GLoomis press/interviews) as the NRX, I'm guessing it would throw shooting heads well.

Both the Link & the Pro4X are rods I'd include considering if shopping in that price point.