Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Aleka and Allen rods

Question Aleka and Allen rods

Does anyone fish these? How would they compare to upper end Orvis/Sage/Winston rods?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Aleka and Allen rods

well, you can buy 10 Aleka's for the price of a single Sage

Hi, I fish a Hydros and Helios (5wt) and also use Allen Xa rod. For me the Allen rods are almost as good for the price. The Allen rods build quality is a bit heavy on materials but they are beautiful rods and I have caught a lot of fish with them. I prefer them over my Orvis rods for casting heavy flies because they seem to be more girthy (?). I prefer Orvis rods for dry fly fishing. My 2cents.
    Last edited by innes; 10-23-2012 at 08:12 PM.

4. Likes gatortransplant liked this post
    Blog Entries

I have cast Allen rods alongside Helios(es?) and Sage Ones and found the comparison to be pretty favorable for Allen products. While I'm certainly not suggesting that the Helios and One were worse, I found that the gulf between far more expensive rods and the Allen product was far narrower than would be expected given the difference in price. The Helios and the One are both awesome products and have technology and materials that match their price, but given the fact that an entire Allen set-up could be had with hundreds of dollars to spare for the price of one of the high end rods, its surprising how well the Allen rods compare.

Unfortunately I cannot weigh on regarding Aleka's products, but I can speak volumes for the Allen product as well as their customer service and warranty.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...