Allen rods - ferrells?

dhayden

Reaction score
Can someone post a picture of a Allen rod (Xa if possible) - showing the ferrell connections between sections?

Just got an Xa rod, I'm used to the sections making a tighter connection than this, just want to make sure this is normal..

Thanks, Dave

dhayden

Reaction score
Thanks very much... i was about to take a little sandpaper to them.. :)

noreaster

Reaction score
I read about this. Apparently the spigot ferrules give a more continuous structure to the rod break points thus maximizing performance and taper.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't this style kinda of like the graphite equivalent of how bamboo rods are ferruled? I don't know, but I like it.:)

dean_mt

Reaction score
I read about this. Apparently the spigot ferrules give a more continuous structure to the rod break points thus maximizing performance and taper.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't this style kinda of like the graphite equivalent of how bamboo rods are ferruled? I don't know, but I like it.:)
I've been told/read that the advantage of this spigot ferrule is over time as the ferrule wears out from use it will still always have enough on the male end of the rod to fit appropriately. I don't know if this is true or not. The "more continuous structure" doesn't make sense to me either, though. It is not that there is more overlap in the ferrule.

At any rate, Winston has been using the spigot ferrule forever. Don't know if they invented it or not.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the spigot style ferrule came from the old British bamboo makers and can tell you that the old Hardy Graphites used this type joint.

L

Liphookedau

It's a good system which many Rod Makers have used over the years,I've had a 2 piece Rod with a Spigot type ferrule for well over 20 years which still gets plenty of use even though I have many other Rods as well,it has always had the exposed section of The Blank & still goes together perfectly.
If it had Brass Ferrules it would have been loose & changed a long time ago as I remember my Father changing Ferrules on his Split Cane Rods.
Although they don't look as good as the latest ones if I had used my modern Rods 3,4 & 5 piece as much some of The Male sections of The Ferrules would have to have been built up.
Brian

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Hardy was the first to use spigot ferrules on fiberglass rods sometime in the mid 60s and Winston (Fisher) didn't get into it until many years later. Late 70s maybe.
The advantage to spigot ferrule rods is that they're made from a single continuous blank. Rods with tip over butt ferrules became popular because they're easier to mass produce and take less steps to build.

db cooper

Reaction score
Scott uses these on the G series and as stated others have as well. I have seen them on rods as inexpensive as the cabelas CGR.

dean_mt

Reaction score
The advantage to spigot ferrule rods is that they're made from a single continuous blank. Rods with tip over butt ferrules became popular because they're easier to mass produce and take less steps to build.
I have seen them on rods as inexpensive as the cabelas CGR.
The $75 TFO Pro blank uses them as well. So I have to question whether or not it is really harder and thus more cost prohibitive to manufacture. And if they are superior, why do fewer of the premium rods use them?

caseywise

Reaction score
my wifes wright & mcgill "fly girl" rods have spigot ferrules as well. when i got her the first one she was determined that it was a defect and demanded that i send it back:rolleyes:
after explaining the reasoning behind the design,plus a few google pics, she really started liking them.:D:D

casey

S

sbreech

Although functional, the spigot ferrule design is quite - um....ugly in my opinion. Cabelas uses this type of ferrule on their CGR line of rod, which I am quite fond of, and also happens to be a very inexpensive rod. Perhaps the spigot ferrule type is a way to cut corners on cheaper rods....

dean_mt

Reaction score
Perhaps the spigot ferrule type is a way to cut corners on cheaper rods....
I've never heard anyone complain about the quality of their Winston. So all I can figure is that once upon a time it was a special process but that now with the advancement in materials and technology that it is now feasible for the same cost as the traditional style.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
In fact, it's cheaper to use a ferrule design that gloss-coats the entirety of the male end, but the join is more likely to slip during use and damage the rod. As far as I know the spigot ferrule is not a cost-cutting technique.

caseywise

Reaction score
Although functional, the spigot ferrule design is quite - um....ugly in my opinion. Cabelas uses this type of ferrule on their CGR line of rod, which I am quite fond of, and also happens to be a very inexpensive rod. Perhaps the spigot ferrule type is a way to cut corners on cheaper rods....
sorry, but cant be farther from the truth.....
not only is a really good, functional ferrule design, it has been time tested.
winston has been using this design for a while now. as has scott and a few others, allen(new) and w&m included:D
allot of older high quality glass rods also utilized this design, so imho your conclusion on cutting corners is unfounded.

casey

wt bash

Reaction score
The idea behind spigot ferrules is to help lessen the effect of "hinge" in multi-peice glass rods. It also allows for a continuous taper where as in tip over butt the tip section sees an obvious swell towards the ferrule. The gap in fit is because the male end of the ferrule flexes along with the rod during casting and fighting fish, the two female rod blank ends would grind together with a tight fit causing splits and weak spots.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Although functional, the spigot ferrule design is quite - um....ugly in my opinion.
The first time I saw one was on a friends Sage back 12 or 13 years ago. I thought at the time "um.....ugly." Then I cast it and did not like the way it felt. I have never tried nor been impressed with Sage since. It was an ugly uncomfortable rod, and it ruined me on them. :cool:

P.S. I still think they are ugly.

dean_mt

Reaction score
The idea behind spigot ferrules is to help lessen the effect of "hinge" in multi-peice glass rods. It also allows for a continuous taper where as in tip over butt the tip section sees an obvious swell towards the ferrule. The gap in fit is because the male end of the ferrule flexes along with the rod during casting and fighting fish, the two female rod blank ends would grind together with a tight fit causing splits and weak spots.
So let me get this straight. A spigot ferrule is created by cutting a single piece blank and then adding the ferrule over what is the female section of the blank? That is what it sounds like. While a tip over butt ferrule is made by spinning, or building the space into the butt section of the blank?

If I have this right (?) please explain how the spigot is stronger if is indeed an added part to the blank rather than built into it. I don't get it.

I am confused! :upset:

thanks.

caseywise

Reaction score
haha dan, i kinda like the way they look:eek:
i bought a winston 7' 5 weight 3 piece when i was 15(1995??) that had the first spigut ferrules i had ever seen. i contemplated sanding and refitting them
(would have been a huge mistake), then realized that i really liked them.
like a dumd##*, i sold the rod for a couple hundred bucks a few years later:confused:
my new cabelas cgr glass has spigots and i still feel the same way:cool:

casey