TFO BVK - One sweet rod!

gbanker

Reaction score
Just got back from chasing bones at Turneffe Reef Lodge. First time using my new TFO BVK 8 wt and it is one sweet rod. Very light weight and plenty of backbone. With this rod at $250 I don't see the need to buy any of the $800 rods. Time will tell if the hardware on the rod will hold up in the salt.

mrfzx

Reaction score
I have the BVK in 3wt, 5wt, 8wt, and 10wt. I love them all. as for the hardware....on my 8 and 10 wt, the guides are REC recoil guides, among the best going. I don't see them failing anytime soon. However, I think the newer BVK's do not use the recoil guides anymore??

newby

Reaction score
I got my 9' 5wt TFO BVK on closeout for $160 shipped to my door when TFO switched from REC guides to standard guides. So I paid WAY less than MSRP for one of the last ones to have REC guides.

It has served me well on then San Juan river as well as some water around here. Mending is a breeze. It has a soft enough tip and a delicate enough presentation that big and small dries land almost as softly as a small stream rods and yet it has the backbone to chuck weighted double nymph indicator rigs and even larger streamers. Distance, roll casting, presentation are all really good.

Yes, I love the TFO BVK.

And if anyone doesn't already know, BVK are the letters for "Lefty" Kreh's initials- Bernard Victor Kreh.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'll chime in to say my wife fishes the #8 (w/ recoils) for bones and the hardwear has held up just fine. It really can not be beat for the money but for more money a bonefisher could have a Hardy Proaxis or Loomis NRX both of which truely exceed expectations.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Had an 8wt and absolutely loved casting that thing.

For some reason, however, I just couldn't stop breaking it. After the 3rd break, I sold it.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Three breaks? That puts even TFO to the test. How did it break, it famously does not come with a tube but...?
With exception of the last break, they were all my fault. With that said, I handle all my rods the same way and haven't had breakage. It could be that the BVK I had was cursed and not meant for me.

All I know is that we did not get along

Break one:My fault - Had the rod in the back of the truck while moving from spot to spot and it usually ended up in the corner of the bed and would nest between the truck bed and tail gate. Over time, it crushed the blank ever so slightly causing it to lose all structural integrity. Hooked into an aggressive carp, set the hook, and snap!

Break 2: My fault - Backcast caught a bush and when I came forward it went kaboom

Break 3: NOT my fault - Hook set on a king and on it's first run, the rod snapped. The cause of break one had since been rectified so that was not the underlying cause. I had literally just gotten the rod back from TFO after they fixed the second break when this one happened.

theboz

Reaction score
With exception of the last break, they were all my fault. With that said, I handle all my rods the same way and haven't had breakage. It could be that the BVK I had was cursed and not meant for me.

All I know is that we did not get along

Break one:My fault - Had the rod in the back of the truck while moving from spot to spot and it usually ended up in the corner of the bed and would nest between the truck bed and tail gate. Over time, it crushed the blank ever so slightly causing it to lose all structural integrity. Hooked into an aggressive carp, set the hook, and snap!

Break 2: My fault - Backcast caught a bush and when I came forward it went kaboom

Break 3: NOT my fault - Hook set on a king and on it's first run, the rod snapped. The cause of break one had since been rectified so that was not the underlying cause. I had literally just gotten the rod back from TFO after they fixed the second break when this one happened.
Broke my 9wt BVK on my 11th King of the day! Why because I tried to take a picture of the last one of the day and he was having no part of it! Rod was a month old and they didn't charge me the $25 . And got it back in a week! Sweet rod in more ways than one!

jazzfish

Reaction score
Hi guys! I've got the BVK 9wt with the BVK III reel. Fluid, great control and really good for close roll casts and can chuck a nice streamer! Steelies and surf casting; it is my go to.
Dave

trout333

Reaction score
Can anyone make a comparison to these rods with the G Loomis Eastfork rods. I'm thinking about going with the BVK or Eastfork in a 9' 5wt. I'll be mostly trout fishing the front range small to medium rivers and as big as the North Platte.

barham

Reaction score
I just finished building a tfo bvk 9' 8wt with a removable fighting butt. I mated it with an old Gunnison G4 reel with 8wt Rio Saltwater line. I have only lawn cast it but it seems awful nice. I live in central Texas but am looking forward to getting after some redfish on the coast.
David

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
okexpress, how is your 'feel of the fight' with your 4wt BVK ? I know my 9', 5wt is a casting machine for putting one out there,,,will cast farther than I will ever need to.

db cooper

Reaction score
I like them in the bigger line weights. The trout weights are a bit too stiff for my liking and i tend to break a lot of tippet with them. I also wish they would do a better job on the fit and finish and components. These rods look sooooo cheap its really a shame.

derelict

Reaction score
I am looking at picking up a BVK in 9' 8 weight. Its been a little tough finding good feedback on them though, since many just boil down into another 'I only buy US' fight. I dont put much credence into the 'shootout' reviews as I believe they are mostly marketing.

So, for about $200, I can pick up a brand new BVK. Looking for a rod that can do both warm and coldwater duties, around the 10 to 12 pound mark. Good choice?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The "Shootouts" are for real...just cast the NRX winner in the 8-weight shootout and you will get it. Anderson spells out his criteria and puts a lot of work into comparative analysis of rods intended for a given purpose; exactly what many of us recommend to someone shopping for a new rod. OK, if price-point is ones' primary consideration you can get the BVK which is good but hardly top flight. It is not a steal but a fair price for the build quality, lack of tube and even the recoil guides it originally came with. We have two of them; a #6 and 8 so I am not talking through my hat.