Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TFO BVK - One sweet rod!

Default TFO BVK - One sweet rod!

Just got back from chasing bones at Turneffe Reef Lodge. First time using my new TFO BVK 8 wt and it is one sweet rod. Very light weight and plenty of backbone. With this rod at $250 I don't see the need to buy any of the $800 rods. Time will tell if the hardware on the rod will hold up in the salt.
    "I hear voices, they tell me to go fishing"

2. Likes mrfzx, wishiniwerfishin, alex2 liked this post

Default Re: TFO BVK - One sweet rod!

I have the BVK in 3wt, 5wt, 8wt, and 10wt. I love them all. as for the hardware....on my 8 and 10 wt, the guides are REC recoil guides, among the best going. I don't see them failing anytime soon. However, I think the newer BVK's do not use the recoil guides anymore??
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

I had a new BVK 10wt. It didn't have recoil guides...

I got my 9' 5wt TFO BVK on closeout for $160 shipped to my door when TFO switched from REC guides to standard guides. So I paid WAY less than MSRP for one of the last ones to have REC guides.

It has served me well on then San Juan river as well as some water around here. Mending is a breeze. It has a soft enough tip and a delicate enough presentation that big and small dries land almost as softly as a small stream rods and yet it has the backbone to chuck weighted double nymph indicator rigs and even larger streamers. Distance, roll casting, presentation are all really good.

Yes, I love the TFO BVK.

And if anyone doesn't already know, BVK are the letters for "Lefty" Kreh's initials- Bernard Victor Kreh.

I'll chime in to say my wife fishes the #8 (w/ recoils) for bones and the hardwear has held up just fine. It really can not be beat for the money but for more money a bonefisher could have a Hardy Proaxis or Loomis NRX both of which truely exceed expectations.

I like my BVK rods
    Popperfly >-<(((((*>

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Just picked up a BVK 8 weight 9 foot. $159.00. What a steal.

Had an 8wt and absolutely loved casting that thing.

For some reason, however, I just couldn't stop breaking it. After the 3rd break, I sold it.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Three breaks? That puts even TFO to the test. How did it break, it famously does not come with a tube but...?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Three breaks? That puts even TFO to the test. How did it break, it famously does not come with a tube but...?
    With exception of the last break, they were all my fault. With that said, I handle all my rods the same way and haven't had breakage. It could be that the BVK I had was cursed and not meant for me.

All I know is that we did not get along

Break one:My fault - Had the rod in the back of the truck while moving from spot to spot and it usually ended up in the corner of the bed and would nest between the truck bed and tail gate. Over time, it crushed the blank ever so slightly causing it to lose all structural integrity. Hooked into an aggressive carp, set the hook, and snap!

Break 2: My fault - Backcast caught a bush and when I came forward it went kaboom

Break 3: NOT my fault - Hook set on a king and on it's first run, the rod snapped. The cause of break one had since been rectified so that was not the underlying cause. I had literally just gotten the rod back from TFO after they fixed the second break when this one happened.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast