Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Hardy True Bamboo value?

My dad showed me a rod he has had in the safe for several years just curious what it is worth. It says "by appointment to the late King George the 5th, to the Prince of Wales 1931-1936" on the cloth rod sock. It is a #5 line 9ft hard to read what it says on the rod as far as the name (its in cursive). what do you think its worth? I will upload pictures soon.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hardy True Bamboo value?

I'm not an expert but I'll tell you what I think I know. Hardy Bros. received a sort of commission (I don't know the British name for it) from the Prince Of Wales naming them as the makers of fishing tackle to the throne along with the general population as well. Certainly the company has produced rods, reels and etc. for the Royal Families since their inception but the "By Appointment Of" thing gave them some 'street cred' so to say.

Whether or not your old cane is of any special value or not I am not sure. Be advised that the reel case to my 1980 Princess reel states the same thing and it's just a reel.

Pictures will help to know the model of the rod and try to get good clear shots of the script please, also a good close up of the silks that dress the guides & ferrules. You can e-mail some to me also if you like and I'll have an antique dealer / seller from the UK I am associated with view them. He deals almost exclusively in hardy and B&W rods along with some other old UK. reel makers. He may very well be able to quote the rod. If you want to e-mail the pics. just use the address provided on my profile contacts tab.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

...or you could post em here so we can all se your cool gear and follow the story?!?
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" - Lee Wulff

Blog Entries

You're right, Sorry

I just thought that this fellow in the UK would be the source on this one. He seems the most knowledgeable person I've ever spoken with on such things. Hardy of course is a source but lately I have little to no luck with having messages returned from them............ So yeah, post some here too.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

I gotta admit, I know nothing of bamboo, but sure would like to learn
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" - Lee Wulff

Blog Entries

We'll both have to wait now, he signed off hours ago

Sorry I fell asleep i was pheasant hunting all day and I also do not know the combo to my dad's safe.... hold tight

For all things bamboo check the boys out over at (removed link to another forum) They will know the answer you are looking for.
    Last edited by Ard; 11-21-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Removed link to another forum