9 foot 4wt help

pescador7

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a 9ft 4wt rod but cant find one. Can any one point me in the right direction. My budget is $100-$150. I have a 7ft but it doest cut it when im on the lake. Also im wiling to go for an 8ft 6 but mostly prefer a 9ft.

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Did you check out e-bay? I just bought a 10' 4wt there for 157.00 my shipping was high because I am in Canada but yours may be cheaper if you are in the U.S,

williamhj

Reaction score
Allen fly fishing has the ATS rod in 8'9" 4wt . With the black Friday discount you'll be under $150. Allen is a forum sponsor with good customer service.
TFO has the signature series in 8'6" for just over 100
cabelas has the redington Ct in 9' 4wt for under 80
Can't vouch for these rods but there are options.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Gary Borger is a big name in flyfishing who developed a line of rods, the "Gary Borger Pro Series", for Targus a few years ago that got excellent reviews. (Google "Gary Borger Pro Series" to see what people on bulletin boards have said about them. I have the 8 and 9 weights and love them, but others speak well of the lighter weight ones.) Targus got into some kind of business trouble and discontinued the line, and the remaining inventory is being sold off by The Fly Shop in Redding, Calif. The 9x4 model was originally sold at a list price $299 but is now marked down to $129, right in your target price range, and are a fantastic bargain at that price. They still have the 9x4's in stock.

One added bonus is that they come with a second tip, so if you break your tip while on the water you can still keep fishing. At this price point that's an attractive feature. However, look at the photos and make sure you don't mind the reel seat and paint job -- they are a little flashy for some people's taste.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_752&products_id=7964

dakotakid

Reaction score
Cabelas also has their LSi fly rods on sale for $114. Original price is $190. Don't have any experience with this model, but the on-line reviews are very positive.

thewalker1013

Reaction score
Allen fly fishing has the ATS rod in 8'9" 4wt . With the black Friday discount you'll be under $150. Allen is a forum sponsor with good customer service.
TFO has the signature series in 8'6" for just over 100
cabelas has the redington Ct in 9' 4wt for under 80
Can't vouch for these rods but there are options.
I love some of the TFOs, but I got a Sig Series in a 9' 5 and promptly sold it... I can't imagine the 4 wt feels good unless you've got a lot of line out, then it may be halfway decent. Broomstick

mojo

Reaction score
Gary Borger is a big name in flyfishing who developed a line of rods, the "Gary Borger Pro Series", for Targus a few years ago that got excellent reviews. (Google "Gary Borger Pro Series" to see what people on bulletin boards have said about them. I have the 8 and 9 weights and love them, but others speak well of the lighter weight ones.) Targus got into some kind of business trouble and discontinued the line, and the remaining inventory is being sold off by The Fly Shop in Redding, Calif. The 9x4 model was originally sold at a list price $299 but is now marked down to $129, right in your target price range, and are a fantastic bargain at that price. They still have the 9x4's in stock.

One added bonus is that they come with a second tip, so if you break your tip while on the water you can still keep fishing. At this price point that's an attractive feature. However, look at the photos and make sure you don't mind the reel seat and paint job -- they are a little flashy for some people's taste.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_752&products_id=7964
I just ordered a 4 wt. Pro Series rod. After reading Silver Creek's review on another site. I have the Borger LT 4/5 reel, so that should be a good match up. Silver Creek, if you read this pm me. I'd like to get a spare spool or 2 for that reel.

silver creek

Reaction score
I don't know about spare spools for the reel. Gary is away at the tying show in NJ. After that he and Nancy are going to Washington state for two weeks with Jason, Kelli, and their new grand daughter.

Good choice on the fly rod. I actually have 2 of the Pro Series 4 wts. I bought a spare backup. The $129 is less than I paid for the rod through Gary.

I also have the LT rods. When Gary was designing the Pro and LT series of fly rods, he said the 8.5 ft, 5 wt LT was the best 8.5 ft 5 wt rod he had ever casted at that price point ($300). Gary Loomis also test casted the fly rods and said he could make a better rod but it would cost twice as much ($600).

Here is a photo of Gary in his back yard when we test casted these rods. He is casting an entire WF 5 line with the 8.5 ft 5 wt LT model. I ordered the rods from him even before they were released and I got my rods before the Fly Shop did.

Gary uses what he designs. Here he is with a smallmouth that caught while fishing at our lake cottage.

These are photos from Gary's September trip to a Wisconsin Lake Michigan Tributary for Browns and King Salmon.

[/img]http://www.garyborger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/A-big-hen-on-the-egg1.gif[/img]

mojo

Reaction score
Got a call today from The Fly Shop. No more Borger 4 wt's. Ended up getting a Fly Shop Fresh H2o 4 wt. 9' er. Two tips and same price ($129). I'll give it a go. Can't go wrong for the price. Lifetime warranty. I'll review it when it comes.

S

sbreech

My strong recommendation would be for the Redington Classic Trout rod. 9', 4wt, and normal price is $150.00 at Cabelas. Right now, it is on sale for $74.99. This line of rods gets good nods over at ultralightflyfishing.com, as well as other forums. I was lucky enough to test cast one this weekend, and it is a deal at $150, a steal at $75. My first thought was that it was in between an Orvis Superfine full flex and mid flex....I really liked it.

Click Here to go to the page on Cabelas.