Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Looking for a versatile 5 weight

I'm in the market for a new 5 weight rod. It'll mainly be for bass and panfish on lakes as well the occasional trout on small to medium sized streams/rivers. I would go with a 4 weight but I almost always hook up with a larger bass when I'm targeting panfish. So I'm looking at the Sage Flight, Sage Vantage, Scott A3 or A4, or possibly a St. Croix Avid. Does anyone have experience with these rods? Which one of these would best allow me to throw poppers size 6 and up all the way down to size 16 or 18 dries? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for a versatile 5 weight

Hiya Jack,

Welcome to the forum, I do not use any of the rods you have mentioned but there are many a Sage user within this group. I'm sure you will get replies. If, after all the responses are in you are still wondering about any other choices I would add my .2 cents at that time. In the mean time I hope you will read threads and post some more about yourself.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes jaybo41 liked this post

The only rod of those you've listed that I've owned and cast is the St. Croix Avid. It took some getting used to as it's a medium-fast (in my opinion). I remember floundering around when I first got it on a stream and just getting frustrated. I stopped, took a deep breath and asked myself, "What does the rod want?"

Once I slowed it down a bit and let the rod do the work, I loved it.

My opinion, and I'm no expert, is to get a faster rod. This will let you punch through some wind and throw some larger flies. If you want to make it a bit more delicate, put a line weight above it on...this will slow it down a bit. You might have to change your cast slightly, but it would work.

I have an "off brand" rod called a Quarrow Big Horn 9ft 5wt that is a pretty damn good rod that didn't cost me much.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

5. Likes Ard liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Welcome to the forum. Any of those rods can it. The best thing you could do is see if there is someplace near you that has them and see which one feels best for you when doing it.

7. Likes mi_trouter, jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
    I have an "off brand" rod called a Quarrow Big Horn 9ft 5wt that is a pretty damn good rod that didn't cost me much.
    The rod that he is talking about comes for sale now & then on the auction site if you check often or save a search you may find one. I have 2 of them,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

9. Likes axle27 liked this post
    Blog Entries

first of all welcome to the forum jack!
    another option is the allen ats series-
    ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
    i think it would fit your needs nicely

casey

ARFE

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. If the two rods you mentioned, only two of them I can speak to, both Sages. The Flight is a faster action rod and previous iteration was the Fli. Lots of folks raved about this one, especially for the price point. This rod has been discontinued and has been replaced with the Response.

The Vantage is more of a medium-fast action rod. Previous version was the Launch--which I can speak to first hand. While many consider this a value rod, it had a sweet spot for me. I own a 590-2 that I have not yet parted with. Wonderful medium action rod that really helped me develop my passion for fly fishing. This was my first serious fly rod. The Vantage has been replaced with the approach.

I'd advocate either as great options, though as you may notice I am slightly biased towards Sage rods. Think about what size flies you intend on throwing, smaller ones I might lean towards the Vantage. If you are throwing small and some large flies, the Flight might be a better option because I'd suspect you might find it to have a little bit more power.

Lastly, if you have a chance to cast any of the above mentioned rods, I'd highly recommend doing that before deciding. What I, and others recommend might be great choices for us but not the right choice for you.

Let us know what you decide and what you think about it.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

12. Likes horseman_37601 liked this post

All of those rods are nice and would work. Imho in that price range the Winston Gvx is the best thing going.

14. Default Re: Looking for a versatile 5 weight

As has been noted, all are excellent rods, and it comes down to casting preference. I'll put in my 2 cents for the A4, which I own. I find it to be a wonderfully smooth casting, medium-fast action rod with a great deal of "feel". You're faced with a lovely dilemma!.... Mel

Yes, welcome. As you can see I am relatively new to this forum as well.

All of my graphite fly rods are made by St Croix. I have fished the Avid (pre-IPC) 8 1/2' 4wt 2 pc. and love that rod. My buddy has the newer version in a 4 pc and really likes it. For a 5wt you might want to look at the new version of St Croix Imperial. I own two 4wts and really like them and have cast a 9' 5wt. They are priced at around $200 and are rated as one of the best bang for the buck. They are a med/fast action with a soft tip.

Good luck!

Dave

16. Likes fly_guy12955 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast