Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Removing lacquer from ferrules

I recently purchased an 8wt rod/reel from cabelas. I really like the rod....but the ferrules are lacquered. Does anyone know of a safe way to remove the lacquer?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Removing lacquer from ferrules

A good picture would help before I fly off the handle with advice. I owned and operated a Painting & Restoration business for years, we did a lot of Historical Restorations which required removing about every type of finish imaginable. After a finish like lacquer sets up trying lacquer thinner won't cut it. There are other solvents that will break it down but believe it or not I can't spell the one I'm thinking of. Without seeing the peices..........I would use a general stripper and apply using a Q Tip or similar and then just clean off the offending area.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Default Re: Removing lacquer from ferrules

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    A good picture would help before I fly off the handle with advice. I owned and operated a Painting & Restoration business for years, we did a lot of Historical Restorations which required removing about every type of finish imaginable. After a finish like lacquer sets up trying lacquer thinner won't cut it. There are other solvents that will break it down but believe it or not I can't spell the one I'm thinking of. Without seeing the peices..........I would use a general stripper and apply using a Q Tip or similar and then just clean off the offending area.
    Ard -

I'll try to post up some pictures later today for you.

-Ian