Any ideas on a 10' 6wt?

drc

Reaction score
I have a 8'6" 5wt and I've found my self in situations where a longer rod would be nice. I do a lot of nymph fishing and a 10' rod would be perfect for that but it would be nice to use this for streamers. I do a lot of warm water and cold water fishing where an 8wt is over kill and an 5wt will cast the flies (streamers) that i need out, but it's a bit uncomfortable. would it be possible to have a 10' 6wt be both a streamer rod (sink tips and all that) and a nymph rod? also how much of a difference would 10' be versus 9'? :confused:

Thanks for the input.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Yes. Get a 10' 6wt. You'll love it. In fact, I'm still a bit bitter that my 10' 6wt Allen Xa is still out on loan, I gotta track that thing down, it's an awesome stick for both casting and fish-fighting. As far as a difference, the extra foot allows for longer casts, more forgiveness when fighting fish, and better line management when throwing mends as well as tight-lining. It will certainly pull double duty for streamers and nymphs as well.

drc

Reaction score
I have my heart set on one now. It's exactly what I want. I was looking at the Albright A5. There on sale on their website. I understand that they're not worth their stated MSRP but from what I've read, they're quality rods. they did pretty well in the 5 wt shoot out, finishing above the Orvis zero gravity. i was wondering if anyone who has used them, has any opinions.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I have not fished the A-5 but I have the 10' 6 weight Albright EXS, which was their top-of-the-line model until they discontinued it. I think high-stick nymphing is easier with a 10' rod and you don't really need a high-performance state-of-the-art taper to do it. The 5-piece configuration of the A-5 is a nice feature for a longer rod, and at the the current $150 price you're not taking much of a risk -- that is, as long as you don't fool yourself into thinking you're getting a premium rod that ought to cost $800 at a screaming discount. You're getting a decent price on a decent rod, that's all.

Last edited:

drahcirb

Reaction score
I had a sage one 6wt 9'6" with the fighting butt. It was my streamer rod and had no problem turning over nymph rigs. They make a 10 foot rod without the fighting butt if that's not your thing. Caught some reel big dollies in current with it no problem. High price although starting to see more and more used ones on ebay.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Fred

Have fished with several guides, and my Son, who share your enthusiasm for the Sage XP. :)

Paul
Thanks Paul, a totally 'unique' bit of fishing equipment. 95%+ of the time I'm flipping a 2hander, but there are times/places Puppy don't hunt. That's then the XP comes off the rod rack.

Like now with the water dump off the 'damned dam;' a 2hander for the hunt? Spare me? "It ain't going to happen." The XP with a heavy sink tip just 'hunts.'

fae