Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winston BIIt

Default Winston BIIt

This is a follow-up to my previous thread asking for opinions on this model Winston rod. It came over the weekend, and the weather was cooperative here to get out and cast it a bit....though time constaints forced me to only cast it on grass. I also did not remove the plastic from the cork, just in case I hated it and wanted to list it on the auction site.

The rod is absolutely beautiful! The reel seat has an Eldar wood insert that is opalescent to the eye, and the rod is so light-weight as I think it may be made of smoke and goose down! I matched it with my Marryat MR7 reel, and I tried 3 different lines on it. The first was a Cortland 444 WF-4-F classic line, the second was an older Hardy (I think it was called an "Ultralite") WF-5-F, and the second was a SA GPX taper WF-5-F. I included the last as it is a half line weight heavy for its listed weight. I really wanted to try a DT line, but when I got mine out to try it was cracked, so I threw it away......I think it was only 12 years old too!

The Cortland line cast well, and I was impressed with the rod's (my) ability to land my practice fly on 5 gallon bucket lids that I placed at 25, 35, 45 feet. I was able to hit the 25 and 35 foot lids nearly every cast, and the 45 foot lid 8 times out of 10 throws....pretty good for me! The GPX didn't fare as well. It definitely was more than the rod wanted, and my accuracy suffered. The Hardy line was fantastic! My accuracy at the 3 distances was spot on, even better than the Cortland. what was better was that i moved back another 10 feet, and was still able to hit the longest lid 8 out of 10 casts.....that's 55 feet. I didn't try anything longer.

Yep, I definitely had to slow my stroke down from what I normally use with my BVK, but casting the rod is absulutely effortless and sooooooo forgiving. My father-in-law got home this weekend too, and he broke out his favorite cane rod of similar length and weight. It was amazing how similar in action the BIIt was in action to the cane. The major difference was the weight of the new rod being so light compared to the cane. I think I may have found my new dry fly/smaller water rod! I also think this rod was a super bargain at $400 brand new.

Sorry no pictures.....I was too busy grinding three deer into sausage and bologna.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

2. Likes Jackster, newby, mcnerney, jaybo41 liked this post

Default Re: Winston BIIt

Sweet! Accuracy, I forgot to mention how accurate it was. Might I ask where you found it for $400? BTW, one of the BIIts I cast had RIO LT DT line on it and it paired very nicely. I need some pictures of that fly rod! You know, to live vicariously.

I will try and post a few tonight.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Here are a few pictures. Everything, the cork, the wrappings, its all beautiful. Kudos to Winston; They obviously deserve their reputation!

I took the plastic off the cork! The reel on it is a Marryat MR7 which balances the rod perfectly.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

And one more to show the beautiful wood reel seat insert.

Homer

Blog Entries

Homer: Congrats on an awesome setup, that reel really looks nice on that Winston rod!

Larry
    Larry

Winston's definitely have their "own feel" to them. You would be able to tell that it was a Winston even with a blindfold on. The finish on Winston's is top notch and hard to beat. They are so beautiful. That's why I sold mine. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I got a scratch or nick in it while fishing, so I passed the burden on to somebody who could stomach doing such a thing. Glad to hear that you are loving yours.

-Chase

8. Likes imxer, mrfzx, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your recent acquisition. Few things are more exciting than getting a new or new to you rod. Your reel looks great on it BTW. Just my opinion, but classic looking reels are the way to go on Winston's rods, at least in trout sizes.

Winston recommends a WF line for the BIIT in case you're pondering new line at some point keep that into consideration.

R.L. Winston Rod Co. | The Finest Fly Fishing Rods in the World

The elder with nickel components on those rods are gorgeous. Their cork is always near flawless.

Have fun with the new toy.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

I have a feeling that you are going to learn to dislike this rod. Deep down you will know that there is someone out there who wants....err.......needs it more than you, and you won't be able to cast it knowing at all times it needs to be sent to my.....err....... their address so I, I mean they, can really enjoy it.

I kid, I kid. Gorgeous fly rod!

11. Likes mrfzx, mcnerney liked this post

I've received a few inquiries asking if there is a fly shop having a clearance sale. I am sorry to say not that I am aware of. I picked this rod up off "the auction" site, and was just lucky enought to have the last bid. There are a bunch more listed as "new with warranty card".

---------- Post added at 05:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by newby View Post
    I have a feeling that you are going to learn to dislike this rod. Deep down you will know that there is someone out there who wants....err.......needs it more than you, and you won't be able to cast it knowing at all times it needs to be sent to my.....err....... their address so I, I mean they, can really enjoy it.

I kid, I kid. Gorgeous fly rod!
    Its a burden I think I can live with! Now I have to figure out a story to tell my wife that she'll believe....or at least pretend to believe! Its my first Winston of any kind, kind of like a first kiss. It broke the ice, and now I NEED MORE!
    Homer

13. Likes moucheur2003, mcnerney, Jackster liked this post
  14. Default Re: Winston BIIt

Hmmm...

I just picked up the same rod, 9' BIIt 5wt., for a very good price at auction, minus tube and sock, and was myself wondering what line to buy. I'm in no hurry as I don't envision myself using the rod much untill I am up in Montana and Wyoming.

I also picked up a 4wt 8'6" BIIt.... my lord, what an intrument!! I have fished it with both Rio Trout DT4F and SA Mastery GPX WF4F (both reels/lines stolen from other rods)... But was actually considering the Rio Trout Lt WF or the SA Mastery Trout WF, as the 4wt. rod seemed to prefer the WF line. In truth, I felt the GPX was a bit much for this rod and more suited to my Z-Axis 9' 4wt. rod from which it was borrowed.

Any Thoughts??

Anyone??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast