Orvis or Sage?

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I love Orvis rods. Not sure Sage isn't better, but I think most Sage rods not very eye appealing,,,to me that is. I'm ate to the bone with lust for a Superfine Touch.

ghocevar

Reaction score
Almost like asking if you like Ford or Chevy better...I'm a Ford guy myself and own both Sage and Orvis. They are both quality brands but Orvis has a special place in my quiver as it was the first brand of fly rod I ever purchased.

wannafish

Reaction score
This could start a war! :D

I don't think you could go wrong with either brand; both top notch rods IMO. I just happen to have chosen to go with Sage for now; although i have owned Orvis and may again.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Orvis ad Sage are two of the long-standing dominant names in graphite fly rods. Both build their rods in their own rod shops right here in the US (Sage builds all their rods here, Orvis imports their entry level line-ups from Asia but your H1 is from VT). Both have their advocates, often passionate, and both are well made with unique to themselves technologies. Aesthetically, they both reveal quality craftsmanship but, as in all things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have written many times that brand loyalty is a trait marketers strive to instill in the consumer to cement our repeat purchasing of their companies' products and that is fine with razors and breakfast cereal...but not fly rods. The knowledgeable fly fisher learns the characteristics a given rod designer is striving to create and it is the DESIGNER not the BRAND that determines the casting/fishing traits of a rod. Sage has been on a roll for more than a decade now with designer Jerry Siem who many, including me, regard as at the top of his game. There are others like World Casting Champion, Steve Rajeff at G.Loomis, Jim Bartchi at Scott and Howard Croston at Hardy that are right up there as well but you inquired about two brands. The Sage Z-Axis and its next generation, ONE have accumulated repeated accolades while Orvis's ZG Helios has impressed the Orvis loyalists somewhat more than the hard-core, fish bum contingent. However, with the introduction of H2, Orvis has turned some heads and, not being a brand impressed person myself, I can not wait to cast several, probably in January at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show.

May the best rod win but, depending on line size, the current Sage ONE in 7-weight and down and the G.Loomis NRX in 7-weight and up are very very fine performing rods and then there are the Hardy SINTRIX Zenith and Proaxis...H2 has a high bar to ascend to.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

PS: I fish rods from all the rod makers I mentioned above and lesser-known labels as well. Some of my rods retail at the high end, others less than half the price of ONE or H2. I have an open if very critical mind and evaluate rods performance relative to the environment I envision for it. I acquire at least one new rod almost every year including some models that are not popular with many other experienced anglers but suit a specific application I have. Last season I replaced my TFO BVK 9'/#6 drift boat rod with a Tim Rajeff ECHO3 of the same size, a distinct upgrade in my opinion and added to my 4-weight quiver dominated by Hardy Zenith with a (hated by George Anderson in his 2012 Shootout) NRX 9'/#4...a brilliant big river 4-weight complimenting my gentler (anything is gentle next to uber-potent NRX) 8 1/2'/#4 Zenith.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
That's an easy one. Scott, accept no substitutes.

No wait, I changed my mind G. Loomis. Did I ever tell you about my first big steelie on a skated dry, it was on an 9 1/2' for 8 Orvis Boron Graphite.
Then again Winstons are nice and I sure do like my Echo's, but I've spent the late mornings and early afternoons last week and this, clutching a Sage.
Better move on to someone who is less conflicted.:confused:

Best, TT

dean_mt

Reaction score
SAGE. (simply a matter of preference)

Until recently, Orvis rods where better suited for fishing in the Eastern part of the states on the limestone spring creeks and brush-choked streams of the hardwoods, while Sage and Winston have always been the rods of the West and it's "big water."

gt05254

Reaction score
"Until recently, Orvis rods where better suited for fishing in the Eastern part of the states on the limestone spring creeks and brush-choked streams of the hardwoods, while Sage and Winston have always been the rods of the West and it's "big water."

Um, er, that's an old Orvis Trident TL 5wt. that's flingin' a fly pretty far across a western river (from Paul Schullery's "The Rise") about 20 years ago:
[/IMG]

Gary

Oh, I own Orvis, Sage and Loomis rods. Love 'em all for their intended duties.

S

sbreech

Buy one of each, determined by what action and fishing situation you want to do. :D I really like my Orvis Superfines, but my TXL is also pretty damn nice. My lesser-used heavy rod is also a Sage - Sage Vantage 9'0" 6wt. So, I guess you could say my lightest (000wt) and my heaviest (6wt) fished rods are Sage, and everything in between in an Orvis Superfine.

I'm sure that doesn't answer your question at all, though.

billyspey

Reaction score
I promised Orvis 25 years ago that I would never buy any Orvis fishing equipment and I will not break that promise. And I was a Orvis dealer.

Jackster

Reaction score
Which of the two are better quality and which would you choose? All comments welcome!
What a tough question put point-blank like that. Over time I would go back and forth with a preference between the two but always ended up getting another brand. To be honest, Sage rods always looked mass produced to me as if they were completely assembled not touched by human hands. Their cookie-cutter hardware and decals also turned me off as a potential customer. Actually, it's just lately that Sage made a rod I would consider buying over any other, the One. Had they caught me last year in a weak moment with a few bucks to spare I would probably have my first Sage rod. This year all that changed with the Orvis Helios 2 and the Hardy Zenith.

Picking a brand is the easy part if you base your preference looks, history, warranty and other non-functional assets. The bottom line for me is always function. Cast as many of each brand as you can and narrow it down to performance FOR YOU and your style and fishing needs. After all is said and done the brand won't even matter if the rod becomes an extension of your arm.

gt05254

Reaction score
Billyspey, I probably bought a couple Orvis rods from you when I was in grad school in Knoxville. Still fish 'em.
Gary

dean_mt

Reaction score
Um, er, that's an old Orvis Trident TL 5wt. that's flingin' a fly pretty far across a western river (from Paul Schullery's "The Rise") about 20 years ago:
I knew I'd catch heat for that comment! Sorry Gary, I didn't know the Trident was that old.

My first good rod was a 7'11" 4wt Superfine, and I loved that little rod. I think Orvis is a good company, but there is something about all the $40 dog beds, expensive linens, etc. that they also sell that turns me off. I know, it's just one of my issues.

Jackster

Reaction score
but there is something about all the $40 dog beds, expensive linens, etc. that they also sell that turns me off. I know, it's just one of my issues.
That makes me wonder when Simms will come out with their brand of dog beds and linens. :)

fishngolf16

Reaction score
They are all so close on the top end of the spectrum but I owned three orvis rods before I moved on to Winston. After buying my first Winston IM6 3 wt I switched for good and have never gone back.

gt05254

Reaction score
LOL: from Dean Mt." I knew I'd catch heat for that comment! Sorry Gary, I didn't know the Trident was that old."

That rod is a Delta million miler, just like me! And I'm still laughing about "...that old."

Good one, Dean Mt.!
Gary

Oh, and I gotta look for their $40 dog beds... I think they start at 140!! Still a good company though. I have a long history with the old man, LHP, he's done me some wonderful favors, asking nothing in return.