Best/Cheap rod you have

pete a

Reaction score
Trying to compliment a post about worst dog rods we all seemed to have fun with.

What is the best under $100 fly rod you own & use?

Rules:

1. Must retail under $100 2012 dollars, be fair and allow downard for inflation for past decades as in the 60's $100 would have bought top of the line.

2. Do not include "deals", rods bought well below retail on sale or other are not to be included.

3. It is one you have to use at a least a couple of times each year.

4. Pics of course are desired.

I'll start, mine's a TFO Signature I 9' 5wt 2pc. These retailed right at $100 and I got mine on sale for $69. It instantly became a favorite. IMHO it really performs better as a 6wt so it is most often plied with a 6wt Bass Bug.

It will throw a pretty bug but lay a line with decent finese for it's price point. Wife, 'ate' the tip with the vaccumm last week so I boxed up and shipped to TFO (their warranty rules!) for repair. I hope the rod that comes back is mirror in performance.

Here's an action pick with reel that is worth more that the rod but I love the rod so in my view it compliments the reel.

Pete A.

axle27

Reaction score
Under $100. That WOULD have been the 9ft. 5wt Quarrow...now it's my 8ft, 5wt no name bamboo built on an Angler's Roost blank by a guy in Athens, TN. I've only lawn casted but I LOVE this rod. Can't wait to fish it.

wabi

Reaction score
I'll go along with the TFO Signature.
I have the 3wt.
I cast a friend's one day and came home and ordered one for myself that evening. Haven't found any rod at any price that fits me as well as that little stick.
Although the suggested retail is $109 you can easily find them for a little under $100

plecain

Reaction score
Up until this AM, Eagle Claw Black Eagle 8'6" 5 wt. I own 6 of them. Use them a lot. $19.76 at WalMart.

This AM, however, brown Santa delivered a Redington CT 9' 4 wt. Haven't fished it yet, but it may turn out to be a better rod. $65.76 at STP.

Pete,

Your rule: 2. Do not include "deals", rods bought well below retail on sale or other are not to be included."

Doesn't your TFO (and my CT) break that rule on 'deals'?

mikel

Reaction score
Not mine, but I bought one for a friend....Featherlite by Eagle Claw. I got him a 6'6" 4/5 for under $40 and he fishes it all summer on small E Sierra creeks. It's even an ugly yellow and has a ruler on it. Great rod for 40 bucks.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
8'6'' five bit 3wt Cabela's 'Stowaway.'

The kit actually cost about $135.00 but you got a reel, backing, fly line, leader and two rod tube (soft and hard) in the price. Amazing little rod for the money.

All you have to do is string the bits together, add a fly and you're all in.

Fred

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Not mine, but I bought one for a friend....Featherlite by Eagle Claw. I got him a 6'6" 4/5 for under $40 and he fishes it all summer on small E Sierra creeks. It's even an ugly yellow and has a ruler on it. Great rod for 40 bucks.
You would think they would put a ruler on higher-end rods too, wouldn't you? Or at least some discrete markings at measured intervals. Maybe people who shell out many $hundreds for a rod want to preserve the ability to judge distances for themselves, but on the other hand, a ruler with a reduced scale (say, 12 measured inches = 9 honest inches) might command an even bigger premium.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Yup, hands down another happy Eagle Claw owner here. It was given to me, but I would definitly pay the 20 bucks for another. I'll probably use it to teach my daughter when she's old enough since I wont care if it breaks or she chucks it due to lost intrest.

plecain

Reaction score
You would think they would put a ruler on higher-end rods too, wouldn't you? Or at least some discrete markings at measured intervals. Maybe people who shell out many $hundreds for a rod want to preserve the ability to judge distances for themselves, but on the other hand, a ruler with a reduced scale (say, 12 measured inches = 9 honest inches) might command an even bigger premium.
I can hear the screams now if Sage or Winston did this on their high-end rods.;)

fireroad

Reaction score
9ft 5wt 2 pc St Croix Premier...what would now probably be the Rio Santo but was still american made then. Probably most special because it was my first fly rod and was bought by then girlfriend, now wife. Great beginner rod!

9ft 5/6wt 2pc Cortland CL (?)...bought for the wife so she could come fishing with me. A really sweet rod for the price, surprisingly smooth. I think Cortland is often overlooked as a good recommendation for a cheap first rod. Would still own it if it was a 4 pc.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 Quarrow 9' 7 weight rods that I bought for 56 dollars each delivered. I had broken a $385.00 Grey's Platinum X 9'6" and needed a replacement while I waited repairs. I liked the Quarrow so much I bought the second one so I would always have a backup of the original. axle27 has a 5 weight for sale in the classifieds right now if you want to try one. They are not the equal of a 400 dollar rod but are close enough and I have caught somewhere around 100 salmon on my 7 weight. I also use it for trout but it is my small water salmon rod primarily.

Here's the link to Robert's rod, they are no longer available but at the price I don't believe you can go wrong. They are very nicely finished and fish well. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/classifieds-personal/304928-thinning-herd-bit.html

Ard

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
OK, I'll play along and kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Mine is my 15' 10/11 wt. Albright. I love this rod.

Now for the second 'bird' in this. There have been a lot of people seriously bad mouthing Albright saying their stuff is only or barely worth the sale price. That is pure unadulterated BS.

Now as for the "fun" thread that inspired this, I found that to be increadibly annoying as well. When people start saying things like the Winston BIIX is the worst rod they ever cast, I am forced to wonder what the :sorry: they are talking about. I would much rather see a thread like this.

caseywise

Reaction score
mine would be an albright as well.
a little 7'6" 4 weight that i payed 45.00 for.
its a proud member of my quiver and i still fish it quite often(has a systen one on it now).

catchin a little lunch up in ak a couple summers ago

casey

oarfish

Reaction score
Great post Mike, theres not a thing wrong with a soft rod, light landing of the fly with a great touch. We should get together for coffee, coffee 9 lets do it.

Rick

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I fish mostly vintage fiberglass in fresh water but I guess that those don't count even though not one of them cost more than $35 :rolleyes:

For saltwater I put together a PacBay RainForest 8wt for $60. That's my regular go-to in big water.
Specifically for the surf, I use a $25, 10', 8wt IM6 that I got from Sportsman's Guide. I've since rebuilt it (around $15) and after adding the extra guides it's now an 11wt. :D

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

.... the Sportman's Guide rod :D

mikel

Reaction score
Great post Mike, theres not a thing wrong with a soft rod, light landing of the fly with a great touch. We should get together for coffee, coffee 9 lets do it.

Rick
How about Weds morning sometime? I'll need the caffeine after Christmas. :)