Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default rods, east and west

So, I fish the north east, mid-atlantic and some times the south-east rivers and streams. I have heard sage builds rods for the western streams. I have sage rods from the 90's and they fish fine. I'm ready to get a 6wt for winter nymph fishing and wet fiys. I currently use a thomson and thomson 8'6" 5wt. it is ok but can not handle heavier nymphs or wets or dropper rigs to good. What are good eastern rods for this typ of fishing.

Blog Entries

Default Re: rods, east and west

well, I don't quite understand how a rod knows east from west, but here are a couple of threads that might help. Maybe think in terms of type of water, size of flies and species of fish rather than geography.

Eastern Rods - Western Rods?

Orvis or Sage?

Thank's they were great forums. I guese that answers my quetion. Some rods are built to handle big water, some to handle small streams and rivers.I wonder if it would be worth it to replace the T&T 5wt with a really good 6wt rod. T&T was a mid priced rod, works fine with drys but is a bear with dropper rigs.

Your T&T 5wt is completely capable of handling weighted nymphs, wets, dropper rigs and streamer fishing. You will have to alter you casting technique to accommodate the difference flies you are casting, but that 8'6" 5wt is long considered the "do-all" rod. What is it that makes you say it cannot handle nymphs, wets, and droppers?

Lots of times the back cast gets messed up, Your right; it is probably the way i cast when i have a dropper on. I also think now i might be not using the proper size leader and tippet when using heaveir nymphs or streamers.I use a 6x or 5x normally. maybe i should try a 4x or a 3x.What would you recomend. Thank's

The reason i often don't find 9x5 rods great at anything is because i think the rod designers make them to be the universal trout rod. Universal means a lot of things. Drys, streamers, nymphs, sink tip, floating etc. A trout stream can be a lot of things from the big, wide, windy rivers of the west, the the tree lined AuSable in Michigan, to the creeks of the drifltess region. Rod designers have to keep in mind that their 9x5 will be fished in all of these conditions by many people. People need to be honest about the rivers they fish and the distances in which they cast. They need to try rods that match these conditions and not the conditions they *hope to fish one day. It was not until i reached this point in my journey of knowledge that i was table to tell a good rod from a great rod from a bad rod.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1 View Post
    Lots of times the back cast gets messed up, Your right; it is probably the way i cast when i have a dropper on. I also think now i might be not using the proper size leader and tippet when using heaveir nymphs or streamers.I use a 6x or 5x normally. maybe i should try a 4x or a 3x.What would you recomend. Thank's
    You certainly want to tailor your leader size to the flies you are fishing. A 6x tippet, at the end of a long leader is usually meant to fish dry flies in sizes #16 and smaller. Sometimes you may want a 6x tippet for nymph fishing but it would be a special circumstance.

Streamer fisherman generally use a short, level leader. You will never turn over a streamer with a 5x tippet, nor will you likely keep a fish than drills the streamer.

It sounds like you need to practice loading the rod on your back cast. Stop fast and high and on the forward cast try to open the loop by dropping the rod tip after the stop.

You have a great fly rod, though it may not be perfect at every task, it is a more than capable tool. Learn how to use it. Practice.

Wide loops and slow casts when nymphing. Watch your line behind and in front. Use the current and use slow roll casts as much as possible.

Ok, if an 8 1/2 ft rod is generally better tuned than a 9ft rod,,,,,,,,,,,,what happens if you jumped to a 10 ft rod. All in the same wt class, same manufacture,,same model,,say 4wt's. What does it add,,and what does it subtract from performance ?

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
    Ok, if an 8 1/2 ft rod is generally better tuned than a 9ft rod,,,,,,,,,,,,what happens if you jumped to a 10 ft rod. All in the same wt class, same manufacture,,same model,,say 4wt's. What does it add,,and what does it subtract from performance ?

Mike
    well, generally, you can cast farther and mend easier, but that depends on manufacturer and model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast