Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streamer rod suggestion

Default Streamer rod suggestion

Any suggestions for a good streamer rod? thanks!!
    Carson

Default Re: Streamer rod suggestion

What kind of fish? A normal trout streamer is a different cat than a Musky streamer.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

A trout/smallmouth rod
    Carson

My go-to streamer rod is a Hardy Demon in 9ft 7wt. Decently fast action to handle the larger flies with enough backbone to handle large trout, smallies and largemouth.

In general, I would pick a rather fast action rod, likely a 6 or 7wt. A 5 would do it, but I'd go a bit bigger if stalking some larger examples of trout or smallmouth. Mate it up with a decent sink tip or sinking line and you are in like Flynn.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

I fish mostly streamers with a Helios 9' 5 wt, does a great job if I stay within its boundaries. If night fishing or targeting larger browns I go up to a 7wt just to handle the larger streamers.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

I use my Sage XP 5 wt for the smaller stuff, 7wt BVK for the bigger stuff/fish
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" - Lee Wulff

9x7 is the only way to go IMHO ESP if u want to get into modern streamers and sink tip lines. I like the winston biiisx.

I mainly use my Cabela's L-Tech 9' 6wt for streamers and sink tips.. Also the Redington Predator 6wt would be a good option too

9. Likes drc liked this post

I want something with a very stiff tip, which tends to be what most companies consider "moderate/fast" action as the rod flexes more in the low to mid section, but not so much in the tip...

Thomas & Thomas Horizon II in 7 weight has proven to be bomb proof for years for me!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

Has anyone used the Scott S4 or the Sage VXP for streamers?
    Carson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast