up lining???

rubberguy

Reaction score
i have a reddington wayfarer 904-6pc. currently lined w/SA GPX wf4f. would i benefit going to a wf5f ??? seems like the most i can get out of the guides is 50-55 ft.
thanx

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Do you have other rods? If so, how far can you cast them? You have to keep in mind the smaller the weight the rod is, the less distance you can get with them. I would also like to know what the ERN for that rod is.

The thing with going far is, most of the time overlining is not the way to do it. It may help you though because it will load the rod better. Do you double haul? Also have you ever filmed yourself casting and looked at it? A lot of the time you can spot your own casting faults.

I tried to find the ERN for that rod and did not have any luck. It also seems they don't make it anymore.

rubberguy

Reaction score
it's about 4 yrs old. the last time i was on their website it looked like they'd gone to a newer model. i had an old (1987) Scott G905 2pc that i traded straight across for my TFO 6129-4. my 1st 2 hander. and yes that distance on the 4wt. is with "MY" version of a dbl haul. lol

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

forgot to ask you D.D. duh what is the ERN? :confused:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
forgot to ask you D.D. duh what is the ERN? :confused:
ERN is what a rod actually is, not what the maker decides to call it. Some rods are under rated by 2 weights or more. On a rarer occasion, you get one that is overrated. You almost never get a maker calling their rod what it really is. It's not hard to figure out what it is. Pin the rod down by the handle flat to a surface so you have around four feet between the tip and the floor and have the rod parallel to the floor. Get a small plastic bag and a paper clip. Turn the paper clip into an S. Hang the bag from the tip of the rod. You need to take new shiney pennies newer than 1996 and put them into the bag till you bend the rod to 1/3 of it's length. 9' rod = 3' of bend. Be precise. Count the pennies and look at this chart here. This will give you the real rating of your rod and help to decide whether you need a bigger line or more practice. :D It also might help to tell me where on the rod the bend is. i.e. all in the tip, all the way to grip or something inbetween.

plecain

Reaction score
ERN is what a rod actually is, not what the maker decides to call it. Some rods are under rated by 2 weights or more. On a rarer occasion, you get one that is overrated. You almost never get a maker calling their rod what it really is. It's not hard to figure out what it is. Pin the rod down by the handle flat to a surface so you have around four feet between the tip and the floor and have the rod parallel to the floor. Get a small plastic bag and a paper clip. Turn the paper clip into an S. Hang the bag from the tip of the rod. You need to take new shiney pennies newer than 1996 and put them into the bag till you bend the rod to 1/3 of it's length. 9' rod = 3' of bend. Be precise. Count the pennies and look at this chart here. This will give you the real rating of your rod and help to decide whether you need a bigger line or more practice. :D It also might help to tell me where on the rod the bend is. i.e. all in the tip, all the way to grip or something inbetween.
I agree with Dan. You should do this.
I measured all my rods one day. Most were reasonably close to their marked weights.

Three were not close:

Redington CPX 9'0" 3 wt measured at 4.865.
St Croix Imperial 6'0" 2 wt measured at 1.065.
Echo Shadow PE 10'0" 3 wt measured at 4.716.

(A WalMart Eagle Claw 8'6" 5 wt and a Sage Z-Axis 8'6" 5 wt measured exactly the same - 4.895.)

rubberguy

Reaction score
Dan, measurements are: cork @ 50" from floor, mid @ 49-3/4", tip @ 46"
to acheive a 36" drop @ tip it took 53 pennies. as far as where it flexes:
18" up form butt cap there was 1/4" drop, mid (4'6"up) was 6-3/8"drop,
the tip measured 36"drop. I'm not sure how to decifer that chart. Am i looking @ close to a 6wt? Bill

williamhj

Reaction score
Dan, is the chart you linked seems to be the same as the common cents system linked here. I haven't seen it put together like that but they seem to line up so 53 pennies would be a 6wt.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dan, measurements are: cork @ 50" from floor, mid @ 49-3/4", tip @ 46"
to acheive a 36" drop @ tip it took 53 pennies. as far as where it flexes:
18" up form butt cap there was 1/4" drop, mid (4'6"up) was 6-3/8"drop,
the tip measured 36"drop. I'm not sure how to decifer that chart. Am i looking @ close to a 6wt? Bill
53 pennies would be about a 6.25 wt. rod. It sounds from your flex measurements that it's a fairly fast rod. They are calling this a 4 wt. rod? I think that what we have here is a case of the rod maker wanting to make a rod that casts really far for a 4 wt. You can cast really far with that rod and a 4 weight line but you need to be a pretty good caster and carry a lot of line in the air. You are underlined right now by more than two weights (provided all your measurements were good). Do you know anyone that has, or do you have a 6 weight line? If so, put it on there and tell me what that does.

Also, how long is the head on that line? If you have a short head 4 on there you will be fighting it harder than uh, :confused: something that fights really hard. If you had a DT4 on there it might not be as hard as a really short head line.

Last edited: