Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: up lining???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento,ca
    Posts
    418

    Default up lining???

    i have a reddington wayfarer 904-6pc. currently lined w/SA GPX wf4f. would i benefit going to a wf5f ??? seems like the most i can get out of the guides is 50-55 ft.
    thanx

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: up lining???

    Do you have other rods? If so, how far can you cast them? You have to keep in mind the smaller the weight the rod is, the less distance you can get with them. I would also like to know what the ERN for that rod is.

    The thing with going far is, most of the time overlining is not the way to do it. It may help you though because it will load the rod better. Do you double haul? Also have you ever filmed yourself casting and looked at it? A lot of the time you can spot your own casting faults.

    I tried to find the ERN for that rod and did not have any luck. It also seems they don't make it anymore.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento,ca
    Posts
    418

    Default Re: up lining???

    it's about 4 yrs old. the last time i was on their website it looked like they'd gone to a newer model. i had an old (1987) Scott G905 2pc that i traded straight across for my TFO 6129-4. my 1st 2 hander. and yes that distance on the 4wt. is with "MY" version of a dbl haul. lol

    ---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

    forgot to ask you D.D. duh what is the ERN?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: up lining???

    Quote Originally Posted by rubberguy View Post
    forgot to ask you D.D. duh what is the ERN?
    ERN is what a rod actually is, not what the maker decides to call it. Some rods are under rated by 2 weights or more. On a rarer occasion, you get one that is overrated. You almost never get a maker calling their rod what it really is. It's not hard to figure out what it is. Pin the rod down by the handle flat to a surface so you have around four feet between the tip and the floor and have the rod parallel to the floor. Get a small plastic bag and a paper clip. Turn the paper clip into an S. Hang the bag from the tip of the rod. You need to take new shiney pennies newer than 1996 and put them into the bag till you bend the rod to 1/3 of it's length. 9' rod = 3' of bend. Be precise. Count the pennies and look at this chart here. This will give you the real rating of your rod and help to decide whether you need a bigger line or more practice. It also might help to tell me where on the rod the bend is. i.e. all in the tip, all the way to grip or something inbetween.

  5. Likes rubberguy, fredaevans liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    2,460

    Default Re: up lining???

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    ERN is what a rod actually is, not what the maker decides to call it. Some rods are under rated by 2 weights or more. On a rarer occasion, you get one that is overrated. You almost never get a maker calling their rod what it really is. It's not hard to figure out what it is. Pin the rod down by the handle flat to a surface so you have around four feet between the tip and the floor and have the rod parallel to the floor. Get a small plastic bag and a paper clip. Turn the paper clip into an S. Hang the bag from the tip of the rod. You need to take new shiney pennies newer than 1996 and put them into the bag till you bend the rod to 1/3 of it's length. 9' rod = 3' of bend. Be precise. Count the pennies and look at this chart here. This will give you the real rating of your rod and help to decide whether you need a bigger line or more practice. It also might help to tell me where on the rod the bend is. i.e. all in the tip, all the way to grip or something inbetween.
    I agree with Dan. You should do this.
    I measured all my rods one day. Most were reasonably close to their marked weights.

    Three were not close:

    Redington CPX 9'0" 3 wt measured at 4.865.
    St Croix Imperial 6'0" 2 wt measured at 1.065.
    Echo Shadow PE 10'0" 3 wt measured at 4.716.

    (A WalMart Eagle Claw 8'6" 5 wt and a Sage Z-Axis 8'6" 5 wt measured exactly the same - 4.895.)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento,ca
    Posts
    418

    Default Re: up lining???

    rewritten!
    Last edited by rubberguy; 01-10-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: rewritten

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento,ca
    Posts
    418

    Default Re: up lining???

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    ERN is what a rod actually is, not what the maker decides to call it. Some rods are under rated by 2 weights or more. On a rarer occasion, you get one that is overrated. You almost never get a maker calling their rod what it really is. It's not hard to figure out what it is. Pin the rod down by the handle flat to a surface so you have around four feet between the tip and the floor and have the rod parallel to the floor. Get a small plastic bag and a paper clip. Turn the paper clip into an S. Hang the bag from the tip of the rod. You need to take new shiney pennies newer than 1996 and put them into the bag till you bend the rod to 1/3 of it's length. 9' rod = 3' of bend. Be precise. Count the pennies and look at this chart here. This will give you the real rating of your rod and help to decide whether you need a bigger line or more practice. It also might help to tell me where on the rod the bend is. i.e. all in the tip, all the way to grip or something inbetween.
    Dan, measurements are: cork @ 50" from floor, mid @ 49-3/4", tip @ 46"
    to acheive a 36" drop @ tip it took 53 pennies. as far as where it flexes:
    18" up form butt cap there was 1/4" drop, mid (4'6"up) was 6-3/8"drop,
    the tip measured 36"drop. I'm not sure how to decifer that chart. Am i looking @ close to a 6wt? Bill

  9. #8

    Default Re: up lining???

    Dan, is the chart you linked seems to be the same as the common cents system linked here. I haven't seen it put together like that but they seem to line up so 53 pennies would be a 6wt.
    - William

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: up lining???

    Quote Originally Posted by rubberguy View Post
    Dan, measurements are: cork @ 50" from floor, mid @ 49-3/4", tip @ 46"
    to acheive a 36" drop @ tip it took 53 pennies. as far as where it flexes:
    18" up form butt cap there was 1/4" drop, mid (4'6"up) was 6-3/8"drop,
    the tip measured 36"drop. I'm not sure how to decifer that chart. Am i looking @ close to a 6wt? Bill
    53 pennies would be about a 6.25 wt. rod. It sounds from your flex measurements that it's a fairly fast rod. They are calling this a 4 wt. rod? I think that what we have here is a case of the rod maker wanting to make a rod that casts really far for a 4 wt. You can cast really far with that rod and a 4 weight line but you need to be a pretty good caster and carry a lot of line in the air. You are underlined right now by more than two weights (provided all your measurements were good). Do you know anyone that has, or do you have a 6 weight line? If so, put it on there and tell me what that does.

    Also, how long is the head on that line? If you have a short head 4 on there you will be fighting it harder than uh, something that fights really hard. If you had a DT4 on there it might not be as hard as a really short head line.
    Last edited by Guest1; 01-10-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: I put wrong word in

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
    Posts
    10,670

    Default Re: up lining???

    You're faced with the same problem with 2hander rods; what goes on the handle can have little relationship to what's in hand. One of the reason Steve Gotshall (custom line maker here in Medford) is doing a land office business.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Similar Threads

  1. Over lining???
    By ditz in forum Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 10:31 AM
  2. over/under lining rods
    By wabi in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 09:53 AM
  3. over/ under lining?
    By raindogt in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 11:16 AM
  4. Lining UP
    By Pavel in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 10:27 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •