Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 weight

1. Default 3 weight

Hi All,

I'm looking for an "honest" three weight to fish small flies on the creeks out West. I'll be fishing from 10-40 feet, and I wouldn't want to overline the rod to feel it working. I'd also like to keep the cost under $200 if possible, and would happily build the rod from a blank. I've heard good things about Cabelas Three Forks 3 weight rod, but the low price makes it seem almost too good to be true. All suggestions greatly appreciated... Thanks.. Mel

Default Re: 3 weight

I have been happy with blanks from Ye Old English Fly Shop and have found them to be true to stated weight both using the common cents test and casting them. They aren't too expensive and if you spend $30 I think he has free shipping. He sells reels seats and grips too. If you go that route I love snake brand guides

Another option is a Batson rx6 blank. That should keep you under 200 for the whole build though it does cost more than the above mentioned blank. I love tiger eyes from Sevier, but if you go that route give him a call, rather than ordering online.
    - William

I had a Three Forks 3wt
    Choose something else
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I'd check out the Redington 8' 6" classic trout rod for that price point.

For under $200 you can't go wrong with a Reddington CT 3wt, they run about $75 and are possibly one of the best bargains in the fly rod world right now. If you wanted to try something a little different, you could give fiberglass a try. Cabelas has the CGR and the new CGT for $50, and $150. There is a 5'9" 3wt CGR that is a lot of fun to fish inside of 40ft. I don't have a lot of experience with the newer CGT that is $150, but it is a lot faster action than the CGR rods, but is still slower than most graphite rods. Just some food for thought.....

-Chase

Quote Originally Posted by chased View Post
    For under $200 you can't go wrong with a Reddington CT 3wt, they run about $75 and are possibly one of the best bargains in the fly rod world right now. If you wanted to try something a little different, you could give fiberglass a try. Cabelas has the CGR and the new CGT for $50, and $150. There is a 5'9" 3wt CGR that is a lot of fun to fish inside of 40ft. I don't have a lot of experience with the newer CGT that is $150, but it is a lot faster action than the CGR rods, but is still slower than most graphite rods. Just some food for thought.....

-Chase
    I agree. In fact, buy more than one for your $200. Maybe a 4wt or 2wt to go with your 3wt.

Blog Entries

I don't own one but I know folks have raved about the Redington CT and as you can see several folks in this post.

Here's something for you to read from the Gear Review section.

Redington CT (Classic Trout)
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Blog Entries

take a look at the allen ats
    ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE

Hook & Hackle has been pushing these 2wts big time for a while
    I can't say that I blame them, they look like a steal.

New - "Xi" Special Kit 66"- 2 weight 4-piece-Hook & Hackle
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I would like to throw out the TFO Professional series as a consideration. I use one of the older ones often. I found the Redington CT series too "slow" for my taste/motion.
    Allen's ATS is one I liked - in a 4 wt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast