Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Helios 2

Default Helios 2

I see the new Helios is sporting blue coloured blanks, I know it won't affect the way it casts, but I'm not a big fan of the colour, preferred the original.
    The only rod that looks good in blue are T&T IMO.
    Anyone else like or dislike it?
    S.

P S that's how we Brits spell colour, sorry.

Default Re: Helios 2

I think the Olive green on the ZG is classier, but never liked the gold tinge on the hardware.

Orvis has been trying to 'reinvent' their fly fishing brand (fish logo, shredding on rod tube) to help relate to a younger audience.

I suspect they believe they are considered the older man's brand.
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

I think the the blue is colour better suited to the saltwater rods whereas the original olive better to the freshwater rods.
    I have the ZG Helios SW and think the olive is a little out of place in the tropics...but that is just MHO!

It would be a great way to distinguish the rods SW against FW.

Looks like there is a new colour for the Mirage reel...gunmetal or pewter? I like the look of it...not so "bling"

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/Gforcegerry/shadowcaster.gif
    Regards Gerard

[QUOTE=Gerard;518286]I think the the blue is colour better suited to the saltwater rods whereas the original olive better to the freshwater rods.
    I have the ZG Helios SW and think the olive is a little out of place in the tropics...but that is just MHO!

It would be a great way to distinguish the rods SW against FW.

Looks like there is a new colour for the Mirage reel...gunmetal or pewter? I like the look of it...not so "bling"

I agree, the gold reel seat was a bit bling, nice rod to cast with though.
    I have the ZG the predecessor to the Helios with gorgeous burgundy blanks, and I once owned a T3 which had the nicest olive blanks I have ever seen.
    I see Loomis/Shimano now offer a choice of colour as the blue blanks they produced weren't as popular as they thought.
    S.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post

The call it "black nickel" and it matches the new H2 reel seat. I agree, it is way more appealing than the garish gold hardware of the ZG Helios series that fairly screamed, "Hey, look at me, I'm in the house!" (Way more stealthy if you're trying to sneak up on wary fish, too.)