Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7wt grips

Default 7wt grips

Does anyone make a 7wt with a half wells grip (instead of a full wells) and a removable fighting butt ?

Default Re: 7wt grips

Yes you can have a custom rod build with you requirments from hundreds of builders across the U.S. or take the plunge and build one yourself. Whats wrong with a full wells grip?

Rick

To me,,and I'm only speaking for myself, they do not feel 'right.' Plus, I think they are ugly and do not add any grace to a fly rod.

Maybe I'm just too 'eastern.'

Quote Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
    To me,,and I'm only speaking for myself, they do not feel 'right.' Plus, I think they are ugly and do not add any grace to a fly rod.

Maybe I'm just too 'eastern.'
    Just speaking for my self, the grace is in your cast, would the 7 be your first heaver fly rod?

Yes it would be. 5wt is the heaviest I've used to date.

What length and action are you looking for as this may narrow your search parameters?
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

Id want at LEAST a 9 ft and prefer a 10ft..this would be for the times I'd toss big Muskie flys. I might outta consider an 8wt more ?

Even a 9wt would be better yet.
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

a 7wt with a half wells grip
    Id want at LEAST a 9 ft and prefer a 10ft..this would be for the times I'd toss big Muskie flys. I might outta consider an 8wt more ?
    At least an 8 wt. and a 10 wt. is what I use most of the time for it. You are goping to be hard pressed to find a rod that size with a half wells grip. You would either have to build it yourself or have it done for you. There is nothing wrong with it. If that's what you like, that's the point of custom.

Where you will find the 10 wt better is if you get wind. Contrary to what a lot of people think, you don't need the bigger rod to fight a big fish fast. That's easily done on a smaller rod and a heavier leader. It's for casting big flies far in a wind.

10. Likes baseman1 liked this post

Ya know, you might be right. These Muskie in New River can be State Record size,,matter of fact,,I think that is were most Virginia State Record Muskie keep coming from. I've caught three in years past...all three on bait casting equipment. Sacrilege I know. Nephew has caught 3 that were 50" or plus,,and several 45" plus. And a LOT 40" plus. But he's not a fly fisherman at all.

After coming back into fly fishing for trout after several years of not casting a fly rod,,,I've got the bug to expand my fishing time with the fly rod over into 'big game' ventures. SO yea, a 9wt for them big New River Muskies might indeed be very wise. No law against having a very specific rod for a very specific reason, is there ?

At my age now,,it's not about how much I catch, it's more about how I fish. The quantity blood has definitely cooled as I've grown some older and now the blood demands 'quality' methods. I think I'm a fly rod guy from here on out. Always really loved them better anyways.

OK,,all that sermon aside,,does the full wells REALLY give you better leverage for your grip,,esp your thumb ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast