1st rod combo help

D

deathwish

started fly fishing last summer using a cheap rod and reel and once I landed my 1st atlantic salmon I was hooked.I am limited on funds so looking to buy a fly rod kit.There is one called clearwater by orvis,1 by sage- vantage and a few lefty kre ones.These would be for salmon fishing and some bass too.Can you help me know what would be best.My max $$ is 500.00 canadian.I am not parcial to any company due to the fact I know nothing about this addictive sport.

Last edited:

kap10

Reaction score
started fly fishing last summer using a cheap rod and reel and once I landed my 1st atlantic salmon I was hooked.I am limited on funds so looking to buy a fly rod kit.There is one called clearwater by orvis,1 by sage- vantage and a few lefty kre ones.These would be for salmon fishing and some bass too.Can you help me know what would be best.My max $$ is 500.00 canadian.I am not parcial to any company due to the fact I know nothing about this addictive sport.

I would look into a company called Allen fly fishing. I have a bunch of their stuff. Its really good for the price. You can search the forums here and you will find nothing but good things. They ship to Canada. Look at a Xa 8wt 9'
and a Alpha 2 #3 reel, Awesome combo for about $350. I have 6 Allen reels and 3 rods and like them all. They are all I fish anymore.
You can go on the site and email or live chat Justin or Evan for any info you may need.

mi_trouter

Reaction score
Another vote for Allen flyfishing gear. I use both the Trout and Alpha reels when I travel, have a 4 wt rod for "guests". Fantastic customer service.

Interestingly, while in a fly shop in the Seattle area with a friend looking at new reels, the shop guy says to him, "If I were you, I'd look at the Allen reels". He missed a sale, but Allen didn't.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I just got my girlfriend her first fly rod, reel, line for Valentines Day...

I had to take it out and cast it before wrapping it up to give to her next week.

I was very impressed with the Clearwater 8'6" 4wt and Clearwater Reel and Line, for the money I think your gonna be hard pressed to beat it.