Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1st rod combo help

deathwish Guest

Default 1st rod combo help

started fly fishing last summer using a cheap rod and reel and once I landed my 1st atlantic salmon I was hooked.I am limited on funds so looking to buy a fly rod kit.There is one called clearwater by orvis,1 by sage- vantage and a few lefty kre ones.These would be for salmon fishing and some bass too.Can you help me know what would be best.My max $$ is 500.00 canadian.I am not parcial to any company due to the fact I know nothing about this addictive sport.
    Last edited by deathwish; 01-29-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: change

Default Re: 1st rod combo help

I've got the Clearwater and love it. You may be able to get a separate rod/reel and get a better setup for the same money.
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

4. Default Re: 1st rod combo help

Quote Originally Posted by deathwish View Post
    started fly fishing last summer using a cheap rod and reel and once I landed my 1st atlantic salmon I was hooked.I am limited on funds so looking to buy a fly rod kit.There is one called clearwater by orvis,1 by sage- vantage and a few lefty kre ones.These would be for salmon fishing and some bass too.Can you help me know what would be best.My max $$ is 500.00 canadian.I am not parcial to any company due to the fact I know nothing about this addictive sport.

I would look into a company called Allen fly fishing. I have a bunch of their stuff. Its really good for the price. You can search the forums here and you will find nothing but good things. They ship to Canada. Look at a Xa 8wt 9'
    and a Alpha 2 #3 reel, Awesome combo for about $350. I have 6 Allen reels and 3 rods and like them all. They are all I fish anymore.
    You can go on the site and email or live chat Justin or Evan for any info you may need.

5. Likes stuie675, fredaevans liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Another vote for Allen. I've yet to see a negative comment about any of their equipment. There was a 'one off' several weeks back but the reel was immediately replaced.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Another vote for Allen flyfishing gear. I use both the Trout and Alpha reels when I travel, have a 4 wt rod for "guests". Fantastic customer service.

Interestingly, while in a fly shop in the Seattle area with a friend looking at new reels, the shop guy says to him, "If I were you, I'd look at the Allen reels". He missed a sale, but Allen didn't.

I just got my girlfriend her first fly rod, reel, line for Valentines Day...

I had to take it out and cast it before wrapping it up to give to her next week.

I was very impressed with the Clearwater 8'6" 4wt and Clearwater Reel and Line, for the money I think your gonna be hard pressed to beat it.

9. Likes baseman1 liked this post