Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    quiet corner, ct
    Posts
    8,613

    Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

  2. Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    Asian or not is not something that I am worried about. As long as it is a quality rod. Thats also why I am interested in looking used. If a used Sage Xi2 is better than a new BVK and available for only a couple dollars more, I would not mind finding a good used Xi2.

    Tell me about these Batson rods. I have never heard of them

  3. #13

    Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    Two $300 rods I would add to the growing list here are both Korean-built but to very good quality standards are Tim Rajeff's ECHO3 and Rise Fly Fishing's Level Series. I have fished the ECHO3 in 9-weight and the Rise in #7 and found both to posses more character than our BVK #8. As stated above, good cork is not too much to ask for and ECHO3 uses very good, high density cork.

    ---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

    Which Sage 5-weight did you feel compelled to overline and by how much?

  4. Likes kwb, billyspey liked this post
  5. Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Which Sage 5-weight did you feel compelled to overline and by how much?
    Sage Flight. I put Rio Grand line on it to slow it down for my cast. I could not throw regular WF5 at all with that rod. I put the Grand on there and it really woke the rod up. It gives more feedback and feel now. I felt like I had to constantly power through every cast just to feel a little flex.

  6. #15

    Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    Quote Originally Posted by derelict View Post
    Asian or not is not something that I am worried about. As long as it is a quality rod. Thats also why I am interested in looking used. If a used Sage Xi2 is better than a new BVK and available for only a couple dollars more, I would not mind finding a good used Xi2.

    Tell me about these Batson rods. I have never heard of them
    Here is a link to their fly rod blanks

    Batson Enterprises - Fly Blanks


    They don't sell built rods, only blanks and components. I have the 9wt RX8 and am waiting on an RX7 2wt to finish being built.

    One thing I like about them is you can call up and talk directly to one of the batsons. The rods are nice, strong and affordable.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,844

    Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    Quote Originally Posted by derelict View Post
    Sage Flight. I put Rio Grand line on it to slow it down for my cast. I could not throw regular WF5 at all with that rod. I put the Grand on there and it really woke the rod up. It gives more feedback and feel now. I felt like I had to constantly power through every cast just to feel a little flex.
    I have the GPX on a 5wt TCX and its already an upline weighted line. Casting a regular 5wt on it wouldnt make the rod work. With the heavier line it really casts like a dream.

    I have a Sage Vantage 8wt and Im very quiet pleased with the rod. I also have a Flight in 10wt and they cast darn near the same to me. The Flight seems to feel alittle more powerful but thats the biggest difference to me.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

    Storm Drain Bonefisher

  8. #17

    Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    TFO TICRx , but that is going to be heavier than what you are looking for, so go with a BVK. Both are 225-260 but you need to buy your own tube/case


    OR the St Croix Imperial is going to do want you want, and it is right around 200 and made in the USA. great warranty and customer service from both stcroix and tfo

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,800

    Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    Quote Originally Posted by floorabove View Post
    TFO TICRx , but that is going to be heavier than what you are looking for, so go with a BVK. Both are 225-260 but you need to buy your own tube/case


    OR the St Croix Imperial is going to do want you want, and it is right around 200 and made in the USA. great warranty and customer service from both stcroix and tfo
    The TiCrX is TFO's fastest model, I believe. I have a TiCrX rated for a #6 line, and it is so stiff that it really needs a #7 or even #8 for me to be able to feel my casting stroke well. If you're thinking about a TiCrX for a #8 line, I would urge you to compare the #7 and #8 rods with a #8 line on them before you decide which to buy.

    I have test cast the BVK in #8 and it's light enough, but it may not be fast enough for your taste.

  10. #19

    Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
    My dad passed away last October and I ended up with his St. Croix Imperial. I already own the same rod in the 5wt. The 8wt is a cannon and I would recommend it for most applications. $220.

    Kelly.
    i have the sage rplxi execelent rod for steelies.

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bennington, VT
    Posts
    1,546

    Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

    A like-new Sage RPL+ 9'6' 8wt goes for around 275 on ebay. They are awesome. I have purchased two of them for that price, and you couldn't tell them from new. Why Sage ever quit making the RPL+ line is beyond me. But I do believe you would find it head and shoulders above any $300 retail new rod you can find.
    just another 2 cents.
    Gary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2012, 08:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 02:00 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 04:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 11:20 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 02:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •