Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2013 5-Weight Shootout - The Preview

Amazingly the top rod is the least expensive
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Quote Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
    Amazingly the top rod is the least expensive
    A benefit of being made in South Korea...

Smile Re: 2013 5-Weight Shootout - The Preview

I find all of your comments interesting and I find these "shootout " articles of George Anderson an interesting and informative read. They get alot of interesting feedback, some good and some bad. It appears to offend many of those who own and fish the rods that fell at the lower end of the results. Everybody has their preference and is a fan of one brand or another. I personally am a Sage fan but recently purchased a #4 Zenith. Quality components but a little pricey. Take a look at the cork. When fishing, I rarely look at the reel seat so it doesn't bother me. I would have preferred wood but it didn't come in wood.I tend not to listen to the hype from all of the builders including Winston, Sage and Scott that have just produced the latest and greatest event in the sport. Try it, if you like it, then by all means, buy it!

4. Likes kwb liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    Can't see my $50 Quarrow 9' 5wt in the top 5
    Fished it with a 110kmph wind last saturday and it did the job
    The marketing whiz kids at the tackle companies will be shocked to see the spread of such atrocious statements.......I thought one couldn't experience the full sense of fly fishing nirvana unless one had the latest and greatest composite technology in their hands....

6. Likes troutnut4, fyshstykr liked this post

Bonefishing is a big deal for my wife and me so we have lots of flats rods. Anderson's 8-weight shootout was pointedly not for steelhead or bass bugging #8's but for FLATS rods. We own 4 that where in his test group: the top pick Loomis NRX, the also highly rated TFO.BVK and the low ratated Scott S4s and Hardy Proaxis. What he downgraded the Scott for, being exceptional in feel and accuracy up to 60 feet but lacking the grunt to cast a mile with ease is exactly what I like about it...it is a great wading rod and a really well built sweetheart; the too stiff Proaxis that he felt was a #9 not 8 I also love because it is a class A+ powerhouse that, with an 8-weight line, drives loops into the wind better than the rest and, though Korean-built, check out the thread under wrap beneath the Recoil stripping guide, a very classy touch; the highly rated BVK really scored highly because it is so inexpensive but it is an OK but unexceptional rod compared to these other two it bested in the ratings and its build quality bespeaks its price-point...and the Loomis NRX , well I have to agree it is a winner; softer tipped than Proaxis it is better in close but not as fine as the Scott and about equal to the Hardy at distance assuming you have very good timing. Only on one of these #8 rods do I fish the line Anderson tested them with...all benefit from fine tuning and all fulfill unique niches in our bonefish quiver. Bottom line, there is excellent data to be informed by in Anderson's shootouts but one of the mid-pack rods might be the ideal choice for your application. I believe he strives for apples to apples and, within his specified design priorities, also attempts objectivity.

8. Likes troutnut4 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
    the Hardy is so they have some compition with Sage and the One Elite 5wt. Everytime I see a circa i get so mad at sage and they awful colored reel seat they decided to use with it, but i see it matches the rod tube :vomit:
    Do you mean the black reel seat or the wood insert? Looks pretty basic to me eyes.

I don't know how long or how many times they have tested 5 wts but I would like to see how the top two of each shootout over the years evaluated against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb View Post
    Made in England = Heavy Duties
    I like it as I'm in England

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

The Yellowstone Angler's George Anderson,, is this the man that didn.t like the Winston Biit 4wt

I have no problems casting the 4wt Biit, in actual fact you can speed the rod up slightly if you wish , but thats my view on the Rod.

I think sometimes you need to try Fly Rods out and not listen to whats the best ...ect . stay within your budget and just remember what fishings all about..... Enjoyment.

I have expensive gear and yes its nice., but the main thing is to enjoy Fishing !

What's that Lefty says about fly fishing and a Kansas stock yard ??

13. Likes Liphookedau liked this post
    turbineblade Guest

Very funny.

I was reading the last issue of "fly fisherman gear" at a barnes and noble and one advertisement said "spend the day working the river, NOT getting worked over by your fly rod".

I can't imagine the people sitting around the table, deciding what to say on a 1 page magazine ad that would make people unhappy with their perfectly good fly rod enough to go buy this new one .

You can't be happy with your old rod because then you wouldn't buy stuff! I mean, you wouldn't want to just go work on your casting to increase your skill -- that would just be stupid.

15. Likes fly_guy12955 liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast