Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Orvis Superfines Touch Rods

I am looking for anyone who owns and has fished with the longer versions ; 9' 4 or 5 weights? As background I have two versions of the classic Far and Fine, a pristine unsanded gray blank Henry Fork so I like fuller flexing rods. I have casted both of these rods and felt they were incredible but parking lots are not stream side. I think the five weight could easily handle medium size double nymphs as well as dries. I just do not see a ton of comments on these rods. In my opinion after casting the 9' 5 and Circa 8'9" 5 and if $ was equivalent I prefer the Orvis . Curious if anyone has more opinions

Default Re: Orvis Superfines Touch Rods

Good thread. I have the 8'6" 3wt and am eyeing the 9'5 as a full flex, although I'm also looking at a CF Burkheimer 9'5 (DAL) which is a full flex also.

I look forward to some other SFT users to chime in.
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

My brother has one, Ill get him on here to reply. I know he was throwing a double nymph rig this weekend and doing well, only thing was the hook sets might have been a little soft.

I have the 9' 4 weight.
    As mattneeds said I was using it for double nymph with split shot and indicator, it cast perfectly. Some might say that would be over doing it for a slow action rod, and i started to believe it, but within a few casts, I noticed it cast this fairly bulky setup had little effect on it, as long as you didn't get too ambitious with the distance you are trying to reach with it.
    As far as 5 or 4 weight goes, I don't think it will make a huge difference, but if you are looking for a little backbone and therefore distance probably go for the 5.
    I have the orvis hydros superfine line on it and it is some really great line, compliments the rod perfectly. Hope that helps, its a great rod.

I have a friend who has the 7'6" #3 and its great to cast and so delicate. I like it

I use the trout bum 7'6" 1wt its the 4piece one, wished I had an earlier model too , great Rod , but I carry a 4wt B2t also in the same length . .

Thing to remember about these rods is they are are DELICATE.

My brother just broke his for the 2nd time in 4 fishing days. Not to say there wasn't some amount of user error but I couldnt believe the rod broke each time since I've done the same things to some of my rods and they've never broken like that. I did cast it before it broke and the rod was awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by mattneeds View Post
    Thing to remember about these rods is they are are DELICATE.

My brother just broke his for the 2nd time in 4 fishing days. Not to say there wasn't some amount of user error but I couldnt believe the rod broke each time since I've done the same things to some of my rods and they've never broken like that. I did cast it before it broke and the rod was awesome though.
    I've fished a one weight Superfine rod very extensively for the past 15 years and never had one break (knock on wood). I did wear two of them out at the ferrules, Orvis replaced the rod twice, no questions asked. But again, those replacements occurred over 15 years of heavy usage.

Of course, I haven't fished the current model so they may have changed.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo