Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Questions about the rod I just bought! (Gatti)

Hey folks,

So I've been looking for a rod with a bit more oomph than my Sage RPL+ 596 (my favorite rod ever, but I'm not a good enough fly caster to throw big bass bugs or heavy streamers with it...). On impulse I picked up a Gatti FR908 3PA, a three-piece 8 wt made in Italy, off of ebay. For $70 plus shipping I figured it was worth a try. Well it just got here today and this rod is really gorgeous, but I know absolutely nothing about it.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this rod? I finally found the Gatti USA site and see that they don't make the 8wt model any more, just the #7 and #9. (I also noticed they sell for over $500--yikes!). I really just want a rod I can throw big stuff with and take to the GA coast from time to time. Maybe even do some striper fishing in the Hooch. Does anyone have any first (or second) hand knowledge of Gatti rods? Internet reviews are few and far-between...

Also, to prove how cheap I am, I just bought a Grey's GX500 reel for it. I'm really impressed with this thing out of the box! For $95, a reel and two spare spools? Yeah it's mostly composite, but it's light and appears extremely well-manufactured. Anyways, I'd love to hear about this rod. Cheers!

Default Re: Questions about the rod I just bought! (Gatti)

Blog Entries

from what i've read, gatti makes some hi end fly rods.
    thats an amazing deal you found!!
    enjoy your new rod

casey

ARFE

Quote Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
    I need to switch to Bing from Google, apparently!

You own the thing now...(sounds like something my dad would say) I hope you will write a review of the rod once you have had time to play with it. Have never heard of that brand and am anxious to read your opinion.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

6. Likes rayzor liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    You own the thing now...(sounds like something my dad would say) I hope you will write a review of the rod once you have had time to play with it. Have never heard of that brand and am anxious to read your opinion.

Dave
    You own the thing now... dave I thought the very same ... my Dad ... Larry is his name would of said it ..

8. Likes littledavid123 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post

Dave

Thanks! I'll definitely report back.

They are great rods though little known on these shores. My wife's absolute favorite rod is her Gatti #5 (replacing an original Winston WT in her ranking) a beautifully built, crisply progressive trout rod. They have unique technology that all but eliminates spline in their blank manufacturing process.

That's encouraging, thanks! I can hardly wait to try it out, but unfortunately it will be at least a week while my rear window gets replaced on my CRV after I smashed my kayak through it the other day... Doh!

That's encouraging, thanks! I can hardly wait to try it out, but unfortunately it will be at least a week while my rear window gets replaced on my CRV after I smashed my kayak through it the other day... Doh!
    I've had 2 CRV's, great auto's! Unfortunately, my youngest son totaled both of them, so a rear window is a minor thing!

I've heard a lot of good things about Gatti rods but never had the opportunity to try them! Will be interesting to hear how you like it!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast