Fly Combo Beginner Help

rober695

Reaction score
I am new to this site and I am sure every one has answered this question 1000 times over. But I didn't really know where to look. I have fished the $40 pfleuger beginner fly fishing rod and reel for 3 years now. One thing I did upgrade was the line to a WF line. My birthday is coming up and I have received a 100 dollar gift card for Cabela's. I am willing to put 100 of my own money in, so my max budget is 200. What would be the best way to upgrade with 200 at cabelas. Possibly a combo? Just a rod? I fish mostly for bass (Huron River around the Ann Arbor, MI area) but there are other fish in there too. Thank you for the help ahead of time.

newby

Reaction score
This is a good combo, and the reel has a GREAT drag: Cabela's: Cabela's Three Forks/Prestige Premier Fly Combo

Take the rest and buy a GOOD QUALITY fly line and some backing. If you go to the store you will want to call them to make certain they have the combo there, if not they can do a free ship to the store. Also if you go to the store in person have them spool up your reel with your new fly line and some backing. If you buy it all there they might even give you the backing for free.

williamhj

Reaction score
Fish Delhi park? Fun fishing there! I lived in Ann Arbor for 5 years and loved it. Cabelas seems to have some nice outfits for under 200, perhaps someone on here will have used one. I'd go down and talk to the folks at Cabelas, and see what they have and if they have any deals going.

Do you know what weight you want to get? I can think of two ways to go. One would be go get a 6wt which would work well for the smallies in the Huron but could work for trout around Michigan. Another would be to go up to something like an 8wt that could work for steelhead, big bass, pike, etc.

rober695

Reaction score
Nah I have never fished delhi. I actually spent the last 4 years up at MSU so I got pretty familiar with some spots up there. And a little further north on the Grand. I will be branching out around here though. Is having a disc drag really all that important? I mean I haven't encountered anything I couldn't beat with my palm drag yet, and they never used to have it. I guess now I am wondering if it is even worth it to get a reel or if I should just get a nicer rod. Any thoughts?

williamhj

Reaction score
For the smallies on the Huron I wouldn't worry about the reel too much. If you go for steelhead it would be something to consider.

rober695

Reaction score
Ok I have been looking at their site. So now I am thinking. Fly line, a net, and a new rod. The net is 20. So what is a good WF line? I have been using the Rio Mainstream el cheapo line. Also a good upgrade rod? I am thinking I like the ol' click and pawl. I mean I have never fished for stealhead, but I cant imagine they put up a bigger fight than a carp and I have used my rig for carpin'. Thank you guys so much for the advice I truly appreciate it.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Agree with the Cab' all in kits. I've a two and a three weights that I use for trout fishing and have yet to fault them. Just becomes a choice of what type of rod action you prefer.

As for a drag reel (on a one hander) for steelhead fishing I'd recommend you go that route. A hot fish, in current, can really strip line off a reel in hurry. Like areal hurry.:yikes:

With a 2hander rod its a toss up and personal choice. Reason for that is all that line going through the guides provides a heck of a lot of friction.

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
one idea is to check out the clearance rack/bargain cave at Cabelas. Sometime they have some awesome clearance specials on good rods. i once came across a St Croix Legend ultra 4wt 7'6'' i think it was for $150. I shoulda bought it!! But i bought my TFO Pro 1 instead for $70. I also picked up a Wind River Canyon reel for $30, and bought line and backing and a travel case for under $200 total.
Just looked at the bargain cave on the website and there are 2 pretty good combos for $150, one is the cabelas RLS combo, the other is a Redington CPX combo. Both good setups if they have the length/wt you are looking for. Leaves you 50 bucks for line and backing.

newby

Reaction score
I have the Cabelas RLS reel and it is superb, also have a Ross CLA and like the Cabelas better despite the fact that is is not a light reel, and the drag is just a tad weaker than the Ross (I have never had to crank my drag down anywhere near the max on either reel, on big trout and carp, so to me it really doesn't matter if one has a few more ounces or a pound heavier drag).

I just did not mention the RLS combo because I have no experience with the rod and would not want to recommend a lemon, though it appears well liked.

I'm afraid the Redington CPX is only being sold as a rod for $150, no reel with it.

fly505

Reaction score
Man I haven't seen what Cabela has but I picked up a nice Redington Pursuit 5wt as my first combo...love it! I think it was $170...reel, line, leader and rod tube! Great fast action rod! If you wanna piecemeal things definitely look at the echo reel...great for low budget, great reviews from various sites.