Hardy zenith ,Gloomis nrx 9ft 8wt

D

deathwish

Hardy zenith ,Gloomis nrx 9ft 8wt or ??

which 1 would you choose if someone is giving you it as a gift? in 8wt 9 ft(salmon fishing) if you could have 1 rod new price does not matter in 8wt for salmon what 1 rod would you pick and why(reel too)

Last edited:

mrfzx

Reaction score
My experience with the NRX in a 7wt was less than wonderful: I sold it on ebay after its maiden trip. The Zenith is a great rod.

IMHO I would check out an Orvis H2. Besides its great castability, Orvis is awesome on its warranty.

troutnut4

Reaction score
Buying a rod is a personal thing. Ask 5 people and get five different opinions. Rods that suit one person don't always suit another. Both are high end rods and have characteristics of their own. Ultimately, it's your choice. As many more experienced anglers will tell you, try a variety and pick the one that suits you best. If you have narrowed it down to these two then it shouldn't take alot work to decide.:thumbsupu

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Neither one. I own both and think they are great rods for flats fishing. They are both powerful and demanding rods ill suited to long blind casting sessions as one might do swinging a salmon fly trough a run. A bonefish at 11 O'clock, 150 feet, get ready we are going to meet him, see him now at 80 feet...cast! You have one shot that must accurately deliver the fly in a small window of opportunity; that is where these two rods shine. A terrific 8-weight for flats, salmon/steelhead or bass bugging are three very different rods.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
Thomas & Thomas SSS 9'6" 8 wt....

Truly an amazing rod for dry line work!

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Neither one. I own both and think they are great rods for flats fishing. They are both powerful and demanding rods ill suited to long blind casting sessions as one might do swinging a salmon fly trough a run. A bonefish at 11 O'clock, 150 feet, get ready we are going to meet him, see him now at 80 feet...cast! You have one shot that must accurately deliver the fly in a small window of opportunity; that is where these two rods shine. A terrific 8-weight for flats, salmon/steelhead or bass bugging are three very different rods.

Notice he stated Zenith, not Proaxis, assuming you are talking about the Proaxis :)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Thomas & Thomas SSS 9'6" 8 wt....

Truly an amazing rod for dry line work!

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Notice he stated Zenith, not Proaxis, assuming you are talking about the Proaxis :)
Correct. I assumed that was what the questioner was refereeing to. And I bet that 9 1/2' T&T would be a great choice.

D

deathwish

I did a huge amount of OT for my Boss.He has offered to buy me any new salmon rod and reel I want.So I am looking for opinions on what would be the best set up I could pick in a 8 weight single handed fly rod and reel combo.Price appears to not be an issue.I have been using a cheap set up and am not familier with top end equipment so looking for advice.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I haven't cast those models, so I can't speak about them, but you are getting good advice that the best rod for the saltwater flats may not be the best for salmon rivers. Try calling a fly shop in salmon country and see what the popular rods are in their shop. W. W. Doak in New Brunswick is on venerable salmon outfitter you could try. W. W. Doak and Sons Ltd. Fly Fishing Tackle